Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Did Porsche weld Door Check Strap mounts on the outside at the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 10:37 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, with all this being said about whether or not Porsche decided to do a quick repair in the factory for subpar door check straps, I find the whole door design to be unsatisfactory.

Even with our cars being > 25 years old and "repaired the proper way" by pulling apart and welding from behind the A-pillar, I still feel these check straps to be insufficient. My doors have that very loose mid-swing to them which can cause the doors to swing under momentum and get door dings.

Let's try and come up with a modern solution which also includes distinct stopping points in mid-swing. Andy had mentioned the need for this in his check strap replacement and modification.
The following users liked this post:
Blue TTop (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 10:40 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks. The passenger side I didn't touch, it's a mig weld. Drivers side is the one I vee'd out and tig welded, before touch up paint.

Blue TTop (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 10:57 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

To follow up on my previous post ... I know that Andy did discuss this in a little more detail in the post: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ap-repair.html

But it sounds like the improved design was never implemented.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:45 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
I’ll take Frank Becks word too. He stated that if the door check strap is not centered in the opening then there is something wrong with it.

When I asked a question on your last auction, your response was instant anger followed by multiple post revisions. My posts were not revised, but wow were you angry!

Why would you care that I am curious about this issue unless you are trying to sell something and you don’t want people asking questions.
you're barking up the wrong tree buddy! no sense getting in a forum quarrel over ignorant comments..now move on with your detective work, there is a big door check strap mystery out there for you to crack.
Meenrod (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 12:15 AM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
you're barking up the wrong tree buddy! no sense getting in a forum quarrel over ignorant comments..now move on with your detective work, there is a big door check strap mystery out there for you to crack.
LOL at the used car dealer saying “no sense getting in a forum quarrel over ignorant comments”. If it makes no sense then why are you here?

I thought used car dealers had better things to do than call names and bully Rennlist members.

Last edited by Blue TTop; 10-05-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:46 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Here was one that failed on my neighbors 96c4 took him to local shop I use and they said they see these all the time, cost him $750 to fix
Old 10-05-2021, 12:50 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

LOL at the used car dealer saying “no sense getting in a forum quarrel over ignorant comments”. If it makes no sense then why are you here?

I thought used car dealers had better things to do than call names and bully Rennlist members.
that’s pretty low, and this isn’t 2002 I don’t think used car dealer is an insult anymore lol @tarek307 has been a part of this community for a long time, and heck if I could figure out how to buy and sell cars I’m passionate about and in love with while keeping the excellent reputation he does while having to deal with unpleasant people such as yourself I surely would do it, beats my boring 9-5.
Meenrod (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 01:29 AM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
that’s pretty low, and this isn’t 2002 I don’t think used car dealer is an insult anymore lol @tarek307 has been a part of this community for a long time, and heck if I could figure out how to buy and sell cars I’m passionate about and in love with while keeping the excellent reputation he does while having to deal with unpleasant people such as yourself I surely would do it, beats my boring 9-5.
I think used car dealer is a fair response to:

”Door strap detective/constable”
”affiliated with door check police”
”he is one of those”
“Someone trying to pat themselves on the back”

The above examples are in response to my question and comparison of answers.

You have to ask yourself why the seller would react in an emotional way, start calling names, and attack character. He stated the door check issue was no big deal and you fix it when it happens. That is his opinion and I respect it. Demeaning my interest or opinion is another thing. You and others may think the world of this individual and I would defend your right to that opinion based on your experience. My experience has been an angry name caller who I will never buy from and will never recommend.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2021, 02:00 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 155 Posts

I think used car dealer is a fair response to:

”Door strap detective/constable”
”affiliated with door check police”
”he is one of those”
“Someone trying to pat themselves on the back”

The above examples are in response to my question and comparison of answers.

You have to ask yourself why the seller would react in an emotional way, start calling names, and attack character. He stated the door check issue was no big deal and you fix it when it happens. That is his opinion and I respect it. Demeaning my interest or opinion is another thing. You and others may think the world of this individual and I would defend your right to that opinion based on your experience. My experience has been an angry name caller who I will never buy from and will never recommend.

Cheers
Agreed, and fair response , lets not ruin this thread now with our back and forth..back to topic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tarek307:
Blue TTop (10-05-2021), mdude (11-07-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 02:07 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Thanks. The passenger side I didn't touch, it's a mig weld. Drivers side is the one I vee'd out and tig welded, before touch up paint.

Don’t worry that will break…..
Blue TTop (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:42 AM
notfastenough
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Just to clarify your perspective I have to ask: Are you a seller/dealer or affiliated with a seller or dealer?
Yes. Beck's European.

One can scream at the sky all they want; it doesn't change reality. I'm a truth seeker and quite content with wherever it leads me. Regardless of my preconceived bias.
The '97 C4S that we're prepping for BaT currently doesn't have the bottom welds. It was built that way. The '96 we sold was built with the welds. Yawn.

Last edited by notfastenough; 10-05-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Churchill (10-22-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:56 AM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Don’t worry that will break…..
I've removed tension from the door check and don't fling the door open against the stop so no, it won't.

The following 2 users liked this post by INTMD8:
Tarek307 (10-05-2021), velvetmachine (10-21-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 05:46 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

I've removed tension from the door check and don't fling the door open against the stop so no, it won't.

That must be the trick then because I’ve seen several repaired this way that cracked the weld.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:36 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Yes, and we've also seen many originals not broken (seemingly from long time owners that are aware of the potential issue and careful), some completely disintegrated/pulled out and everywhere in between.

I saw the pics of your car when you bought it and of course, no other option than to completely cut it out and rebuild to make it right again.

Mine with a hairline crack in the external weld, still aligned and no sheetmetal damage, this seemed to be the best course of action IMO. (with less detent pressure and being aware/careful, why go more invasive than necessary).

Not sure if you've seen many repaired this way unless you agree the external weld on some of these is in fact original.

But yes, many I've seen with an external/non-original weld had a few things going against it, one being the welding itself wasn't of great quality and two, they were trying to weld something already too far damaged.

In the end I agree with, if it breaks, fix it.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:47 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Yes, and we've also seen many originals not broken (seemingly from long time owners that are aware of the potential issue and careful), some completely disintegrated/pulled out and everywhere in between.

I saw the pics of your car when you bought it and of course, no other option than to completely cut it out and rebuild to make it right again.

Mine with a hairline crack in the external weld, still aligned and no sheetmetal damage, this seemed to be the best course of action IMO. (with less detent pressure and being aware/careful, why go more invasive than necessary).

Not sure if you've seen many repaired this way unless you agree the external weld on some of these is in fact original.

But yes, many I've seen with an external/non-original weld had a few things going against it, one being the welding itself wasn't of great quality and two, they were trying to weld something already too far damaged.

In the end I agree with, if it breaks, fix it.
Yep mine was *toast* when I bought it. Clicking and close to pulling away. No other choice really. Porsche refuses to acknowledge the terrible design and surprised there wasn’t a Class Action brought against them over the years of faulty Check Straps. It almost seems every other early 911 has this issue or gonna have it. Good points around quality of repair done. Many just weld over the torn sheet metal around the check strap and for sure gonna break in the near future. Kinda like “lipstick on a pig.”

Quick Reply: Did Porsche weld Door Check Strap mounts on the outside at the factory?