Sponsored by:

Turbo S Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004 | 12:16 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question Turbo S Scoops

I'm thinking of installing the Turbo S air scoops - the ones that take the place of the parking lights/fog lights in the front. I'm looking at Gert's product and it comes with a 'positioning light.' I can only assume that this modification eliminates the foglight and the positioning light will come on just the like the parking lights come on now, when turning on the light switch. So, no more fog light. Is that right? Or is the other way around? Have a fog light (positioning light) but no parking light in the front.?

Bottom line, one of the two lights that are currently on my car (parking light and fog light) will no longer be operational. What do I do with the wires that don't get hooked up when I install the Turbo S air scoops-just tie it off with a wire tie and leave it tied off behind the bumper cover?

I am staying with my current bumper cover and bumperettes for right now. Later, I would like to install clear side markers but I'd like to find ones that fit with the bumperettes. I believe AJUSA had them but have heard they are no longer available. I'll figure that out later.

Any comments or corrections? Does anyone know if the positioning lights should be used as fogs or parking lights?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
chuck
Old 04-13-2004 | 12:22 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I have the turbo S scoops from MA Shaw. They come with "driving lights" that are very flat beams. They come on with the headlights, like the old positioning lights; the fog light switch and wires are now not functional. The fog light connector is just laying there loose. no harm. Without too much work, you can hard wire the new lights into the old fog-light wires, and then your new lights would operate from the fog-light switch.
Old 04-13-2004 | 12:32 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you Steve. I was wondering if I had the option to hook up either set of lights. I think I would wire mine like yours. How was the fitment on the MA Shaw product? I've heard good things about this company.

Again, thanks for the quick info.

Have a good week,
chuck
Old 04-13-2004 | 01:06 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmmm. let's think about this for a minute.

if you use gert's factory setup, it will plug in like a parking light.

if you get a driving light, which i believe draws 35watts (or approx 3 amps) the wiring may be too thin to support that load. i would prefer to tap them into the fog lights, which we know can handle 55 watts (or 4.6 amps).

just my 2 cents...

cheers,
boris
Old 04-13-2004 | 02:34 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Oem Turbo S ducts, like Gert's, have a low wattage positioning light. The MA Shaw/BW Motorsports "S ducts" use a 37.5W #894 halogen bulb in a "fog light" assembly (very wide beam spread w/sharp & low vertical cut-off). "Driving lights" have a narrow beam w/o a higher cut-off, if any. Some here have replaced the positioning lights w/driving lights.

IMO Steve's fogs are incorrectly wired, as Boris noted. It's just as easy to do it right & wire the S duct fogs to the oem fog light connectors. You'll then have properly switched 38W bulbs using a circuit designed for 55W bulbs - much safer.

From my experience, the aftermarket Shaw ducts, as w/most fiberglass pieces, will require some body shop finish work before painting. Fit was perfect & once painted, I'd give it a DIY of 3 (v. easy) w/a time of 15-30 min per side depending on one's innate mechanical/electrical ability.

BTW, several detailed threads in the archives.
Like this one for lighting alternatives.
Or try this one for some installation tips.
Old 04-13-2004 | 02:30 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Hello Chuck
If you recall my Ex- Polar Silver 993. I also had the MA Shaw units. Never had any problems with them.. Light output and fitment quality were very good.
Al
Old 04-13-2004 | 10:46 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks everybody.
Al-has the weather cleared so you can put your Turbo on the road yet? Hope you are enjoying it.
chuck

Quick Reply: Turbo S Scoops