Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On board computer OBC install completed!!!!! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 04:50 AM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up On board computer OBC install completed!!!!! (Long)

After a couple of months of thinking about it and finding all used components, I just finished installing the on board computer in my car. I know there have been threads in the past on this subject and someone even mentioned that they installed an OBC in a few cars but did not give any details. I thought I would write up a “brief” summary for anyone that was interested or curious (I can do a full DIY if there is any interest).

Since I did not know if this was going to work and to keep the costs down, I bought most of the components used.

Here are the parts required and what I paid for them:
1. OBC steering column switch & column covers ($40 used)
2. OBC tach ($100 used)
3. OBC tach connector ($150 used)
4. Temp sensor ($25 new)
5. Wire, splices, and electrical tape
6. Various metric hex and allen sockets

Hooking up the OBC tach requires the connection of 20 wires. The standard tach only has 7. 14 of the wires come from the area directly behind the tach and from the steering column switch. The remaining 6 wires have to be routed from other parts of the car (DME area, temp sensor, driver’s side kick panel, etc) to the back of the OBC tach.

Major installation steps required:
1. Removal of steering wheel and airbag to install the new tach & steering column switch.
2. Removal of driver’s seat and DME protective cover to access a wire coming from DME.
3. Installation of temp sensor behind front bumper grill screen (wiring is already in place and can be done without removing bumper)
4. Need to swap 2 connectors pins from OBC tach connector to the central indicator (informer) control module connector.

The car can be returned back to stock condition without too much trouble.

The Verdict:
The OBC works fine in my car except that the temperature displays in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. The display indicates “deg F” but the reading given is clearly in Celsius. I tried trouble shooting this problem but still need to do some more work to figure out where the problem is. The other 5 functions work fine.

The temp sensor is new and I swapped out the new sensor for the sensor used for the AC/Heat and still get the same reading so I’m ruling out the sensor/wiring as the cause. I also used a potentiometer to simulate the resistance of temp sensor and can only get OBC tach to give a temp range of 60 to -40 which would be fine for Celsius but not for Fahrenheit. Since I bought the OBC tach used and I cannot be positive of its origin or history, I think I am going to try swapping out my OBC tach for a known good tach and see if I have the same problem. Any thoughts or suggestions folks have on this issue would be appreciated.

I hope this helps everyone that was curious about this install.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:33 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keith
How long does this take to do?
Old 07-01-2002, 10:20 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by cetro:
<strong>Keith
How long does this take to do?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I worked on it over two Saturdays and I guess it took me approx 13-15 hours. I could probably do it again in about half the time.

A lot of the time was spent on trying to figure out how to do the install for easy reversal, how to remove the DME cover without destroying it, and how to install the temp sensor without removing the bumper.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:31 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts
This is a project that I want to do. Wasn't sure if its possible. I know I personally dont prefer TIP, so the OBC was an option that I knew I had to do without. Its a very rare option for a 6sp car.

I would like to see it on one of the DIY sites.

Thanks for the info!

Chris
Old 07-26-2002, 03:38 AM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

As a follow-up to my original post, I wanted to let everyone know that I installed another on-board computer tachometer in my car and everything works fine. I also sent a DIY for the on-board computer install to Robin for posting on <a href="http://www.p-car.com" target="_blank">www.p-car.com</a>

Old 07-26-2002, 04:04 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Keith,

Thank you for your contribution, that was an awesome DIY.

It is now added to the p-car.com DIY section.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:11 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree.. What an great DIY! Thanks..

Jeff
Old 07-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks, Keith for a great DIY!

Hank
Old 07-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
FWIW : The last time I checked, the stalk with OBC was not available anymore from PAG.
Those interested in the OBC upgrade, better check car dismantelers for the stalk.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:22 AM
sandman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Keith

During your install did you notice any bulb that lights up the OBC display (orange). My factory OBC is working fine but does not light up. Any help will be appreciated.

Sandman
Old 07-27-2002, 12:19 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by sandman:
<strong>Dear Keith

During your install did you notice any bulb that lights up the OBC display (orange). My factory OBC is working fine but does not light up. Any help will be appreciated.

Sandman</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sandman,

If you remove your tach from the dash, you will see two screws in the back that you can remove and take the tach apart. Once the tach is apart, you will see the bulbs inside which you can replace. Sorry but I don't have the bulb part numbers with me right now.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:34 AM
sandman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Keith

Thanks for the input it was very helpful

Sandman

Quick Reply: On board computer OBC install completed!!!!! (Long)