Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess a picture would help

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/ed...l_14_copy1.jpg
Old 04-14-2004, 10:51 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

YIKES!!! ...and I used to think we had the longest winter in chicago...

Today I drove top down in sunny 68 degrees in my boxster

BTW: I'd never even want my boxster louder than it is now with the CAI Evo and Dansk exhaust.. LOL

...now the 993, if there were no laws on noise, I'd go with my 100 cell cats AND fabspeed supercups..
Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On Topic: Am I the only one that prefers the sound of the stock exhaust? The stock sound of the air cooled flat 6 is so distinctive. I turn when I hear it just to confirm and to catch a peek at another happy P-car owner cruising by.

Off Topic: On the subject of vomiting during acrobatic maneuvers, I am certain that I would fall victim under the same circumstances. I made myself carsick the first time I drove up Latigo Canyon. Didn't stop me. Mike, I would love the chance to vomit in your plane Sounds like fun, I'll bring the airsickness bag. Can't be any scarier than going down Mulholland toward PCH in the passenger seat of Tyson's GT-2.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:54 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Vomiting (what a subject line!)

Dear FB,

The strange thing is, I've never been sick in an airplane, even as a student (when almost everyone is). But the low frequency, nauseatingly slow motion of a boat...that's another story. As Dante said, "Long and slow is the lingering descent, with many a farewell glance behind..." If you come to SLC, you're welcome to a glider ride. The only problem is my wife is a bit reluctant that I fly summer, given the new daughter, etc! But many I can bend that to my advantage, i.e., "That new gee-gaw for the Porsche isn't so bad...it will probably keep him too busy to fly...."

Best, Mike
Old 04-15-2004, 12:14 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Oh, and the exhaust sound

I also prefer the stock exhaust sound. It reminds me of the older 911 I used to have (and even a bit of the 912, although that was qualitatively different). Actually, it is surprising how much the experience in a 1970 911 is like that in a 993. There are obvious differences, of course: power, accessories (air conditioning!) and so forth. But the surprising thing is just how much is the same. I believe that the durability of the original 911 design elements and "feel" evidenced in the 993 shows how advanced the 911 design was back in 1964.

Best, Mike
Old 04-15-2004, 12:31 AM
hddude
Racer

Default If you send MikeL to Harley forums...

for bitching about loud pipes, you might send about half the posters here with him, the ones that are constantly worrying about the current and future value of their 993 investment. That will play even better.

Before this topic totally disintegrated, I was amused by the comments about cops letting Harley riders get by with loud pipes while they'd probably bust an equally loud car in a second. When I lived in Santa Barbara, one of my friends at the Harley stealership used to tell me about the various cops he had as customers and how the first modification on their personal rides was louder pipes. So if you're in Santa Barbara and spot a cop with red lights flashing and no siren, it's probably because he's a deaf Harley rider who didn't take MikeL's advice.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:53 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by fbfisher
On Topic: Am I the only one that prefers the sound of the stock exhaust? The stock sound of the air cooled flat 6 is so distinctive. I turn when I hear it just to confirm and to catch a peek at another happy P-car owner cruising by.

Fred, you also like stock suspensions.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally posted by motion
PM from my buddy mlincoln:
-----------------------
how frustrating!

Dear Motion,

How frustrating it must be for you to be so inarticulate! I suggest we go fly some inverted aerobatics as an icebreaker. I'll have you begging to land after the first loop. Actually, we probably won't even get that far. Just circling at 2 "G's" in a 60 degree angle of bank as part of a normal climb to altitude will almost certainly make you puke. If your eye-hand-mental skills match your presumably absymal verbal SAT score, then I think you'd better stick to pressing that right foot and pointing your car. I doubt you could handle a truly challenging sport, like flying...or a truly challenging mental activity, like expressing yourself in a civil manner. But what to expect from a guy with rainbow hair...?

Best, Mike

I didn't think my English was THAT bad... oh well, can't please everyone. And by the way, Mike, quit ****$ING PMING ME, YOU MORON. Thank you.

It looks remarkarbly like the one he sent me as well:

Dear Randy M,

How frustrating it must be for you to be so inarticulate! I suggest we go fly some inverted aerobatics as an icebreaker. I'll have you begging to land after the first loop. Actually, we probably won't even get that far. Just circling at 2 "G's" in a 60 degree angle of bank as part of a normal climb to altitude will almost certainly make you puke. If your eye-hand-mental skills match your presumably absymal verbal SAT score, then I think you'd better stick to pressing that right foot and pointing your car. I doubt you could handle a truly challenging sport, like flying...or a truly challenging mental activity, like expressing yourself in a civil manner. But what to expect from a guy who collects pictures of naked guy's asses...?

"Best", Mike
Old 04-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each time I read his rants and private messages I'm amazed...he's a doctor...wow

(can't find an emoticon for sitting here shaking my head)
Old 04-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

mlincoln,

It appears that you might not be as articulate, expressive, eloquent and well spoken as you would have us all believe. Even those with "abysmal verbal SAT scores" can simply cut and paste prior messages in lieu of actually crafting a response to a particular individual.

I am indeed an officer of the court. In fact, on a recent speaking engagement at a legal conference in the wonderfully diverse, tolerant and forward-thinking state of Utah, I managed to get to a Jazz game. I noticed that they were not serving alcohol in the arena. I chalked this up to the members of the conservative mormon community's desire to avoid sins of the flesh and subsequent eternal damnation. Surprisingly, a quick trip to the bathroom revealed a vast majority of the attendees spiking their "soft" drinks with the flammable contents of a flask. Those clean living Utah folks seem to be saying one thing with their public face yet acting in a completely contrary fashion privately.

I can't help but draw the analogy to an individual complaining about noise and air pollution yet operating a puller airplane that is far louder than most cars and runs on leaded gasoline.

In fact, why not sell the decadent sports car and pick up a used Prius?

Last edited by Tech-Law; 04-16-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally posted by Tech-Law
mlincoln,

I am indeed an officer of the court. In fact, on a recent speaking engagement at a legal conference in the wonderfully diverse, tolerant and forward-thinking state of Utah, I managed to get to a Jazz game. I noticed that they were not serving alcohol in the arena. I chalked this up to the members of the conservative mormon community's desire to avoid sins of the flesh and subsequent eternal damnation. Surprisingly, a quick trip to the bathroom revealed a vast majority of the attendees spiking their "soft" drinks with the flammable contents of a flask. Those clean living Utah folks seem to be saying one thing with their public face yet acting in a completely contrary fashion privately.

I can't help but draw the analogy to an individual complaining about noise and air pollution yet operating an airplane that is far louder than most cars and runs on leaded gasoline.

Note to self, Never go to a Jazz game, or Utah for that matter.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:43 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by adsc4s
Fred, you also like stock suspensions.
Oh the humiliation...oh wait, Not true! I'm just slow (in true HWFMR fashion).
Old 04-19-2004, 01:23 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default That Utah paradox

Hi Tech-Law/Ernie,

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Utah's ban on drinking at the Salt Palace...some people disagree with it. I actually support it because it reduces rowdiness, fights, mess, and allows a focus on the sports. However, you'd be wrong to guess that I'm a "conservative mormon" (That "m" should be capitalized by the way...or were you being deliberate because you were angered by Utah laws?). Personally, I'm a Roman Catholic and don't have anything against drinking in moderation, as long as no laws are violated.

Your gratituitious aspersions against Mormons aside, you drew an analogy between Utahns' opinions on alcohol and my opinions on cars. You're wrong here. It is illegal to use alcohol in the Salt Palace regardless of whether it is purchased or comes from a flask. However, I believe it is perfectly consistent to oppose _illegal_ use of loud, non-catalyst equipped street cars and support the _legal_ piloting of a louder, more polluting airplane in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. As an attorney and "officer of the court" you should understand _that_ difference fairly well. It is basically the same difference as striking someone in an assault (illegal) and facing someone in a martial arts match and striking him (legal). But then, as an attorney, I suspect you already know about the difference. You were just being disingenuous and truculent.

But you raise a good point about general aviation. Let's examine the pollution produced by aircraft vs. automobiles: general aviation aircraft consume 0.03% of our fuel supply, according to the most recent figures. That's right, _your_ Sunday morning drive and that extra run to CostCo, multiplied by all those like you out there, consumes more fuel and produces more pollution than my towplane BY AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE. Having said that, there is substantial progress in general aviation towards less polluting engines. Like automobiles 30-40 years ago, I expect those newer technologies will soon be legislated for new aircraft. I'll be flying them when they come. As for noise, we pilots follow all standard noise abatement procedures for the localities we fly in, even though they mean reducing performance (i.e., climb) and are therefore less safe for us.

Best, Mike
BTW...fire engines and rescue service vehicles are allowed to use high pollution engines...do you oppose them too?
Old 04-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Randy M
Drifting

"Best", Randy
Old 04-19-2004, 03:33 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

Is dip-**** capitalized ??

ah...nevermind...

I'm finally making it official:

I'm going for a drive now

max

Quick Reply: Yikes! Cat-bypass pipes are loud!