Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yikes! Cat-bypass pipes are loud!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 04:22 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yikes! Cat-bypass pipes are loud!

I bought a set of Fabspeed cat-bypass pipes from a fellow Rennlister who thought they were too loud when used in conjunction with his RSR's. I have the exact same setup on my 95' C2 After four hours install time, I was eager to take it for a spin. Upon startup, there is a monstrous difference. It literally barks. And at idle, it is still loud. At WOT, forget it, I might as well call the cops and come give me a ticket now. Don't get me wrong, the sound was mean but really should be kept off the streets. I took them off the next day and am running my pleasant, but tame, RSR's only. So, if anyone is interested in a pair of cat pipes from Fabspeed with Bischoff flanges for 95' C2's, they are for sale. PM me or send a message to jdoc7@grics.net
Old 04-11-2004, 04:43 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the buyer uses them on an exclusive track car.

For all who have cars with loud mufflers and particularly exhuast bypasses...try this experiment: drive your car for a half hour with one foam (aircraft-type) earplug in place. Then stop and get out. If you perceive that your hearing in the exposed ear is high frequency damped...that should be a signal that your cochlear nerve doesn't like that noise (not to mention your neighbors and other drivers). Luckily, your hearing loss is temporary. The stapedius muscle in the affected ear has contracted and has temporarily pulled apart the ossicle bones that conduct sound. The stapedius muscle does this to protect the cochlear nerve. In a few minutes you'll be better. If the deficit persists more than a few minutes, you've stunned some nerve cells.

Now simply repeat this experiment few hundred/thousand more times, in both ears, without earplugs, and the cochlear nerve cells are not just stunned, but they start to die, particularly in sensitive individuals. Modern life's noise exposure (we were made for a more quiet environment) is why many middle aged and old people need hearing aids. If you already have these types of exhaust systems, and particularly if you already have a history of significant noise exposure (rock band player, arterillery, construction machinery) please go down to your local CostCo or other audiometric testing center and get a multi-frequency hearing test...they're very cheap. If you have high frequency roll off already (as a surprising number in middle age have)...be warned, you're probably a sensitive individual. I would either change off those mufflers (best) or wear frequency attenuating headsets when driving. These headsets don't block mid and high pitched sounds, like horns and conversation. However, they probably don't provide complete protection, either.

By saying this, I don't mean to be inflammatory...just giving a friendly warning.

Best, Mike
Old 04-11-2004, 06:15 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

LOL

My motorsound mufflers with 100cell sport cats are quieter..

How do I know? The 95 993 in the garage has RSRs with Fabspeed cat bypass and it is louder but oh so sweet...

BTW: It is STILL quiter than our other neighbor's Harley.. LOL
Old 04-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ceboyd - whose sport cats do you have? I'd like to try some but don't want to spend a fortune.
Thanks much,
Rick
Old 04-12-2004, 02:54 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Yes, they are loud. I have gone through this path and tried to warn others , no big success as I see
Old 04-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What?!

(I have no cats and supercups...)
Old 04-12-2004, 10:30 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

fin,
I have no cats or mufflers
or hearing left for that matter
Old 04-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Turbos are quieter -- there is no direct pipe from engine to atmosphere...
Old 04-12-2004, 12:15 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Tere ohtust Jaak

Sinu 993 Twin Turbo on vaga hea!

Nagudeni, varsti näeme--Mike
Old 04-12-2004, 12:20 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Oops!

Veaparandus, ei Twin Turbo, Supercharger!
--Mike
Old 04-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wonder if loud Harleys get pulled over often. I am sure if I uncorked the 993 I would get nailed.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Whenever I see a cop I'll just upshift to keep smoky from hassling me. Supercups with the cats are loud but I'm not sure how loud they are compared to by pass pipes and RSR's.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:53 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

I repeat...sound, noise, music etc..... is totally subjective. I do not try to rationalize my preference beyond "it's my preference!!". For others attempting this... save your breath.

Mmmmmmmm, cat by-pass with Motorsound cans. Sweeeeeeeet music!

to me.....
Old 04-12-2004, 04:24 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Rick
ceboyd - whose sport cats do you have? I'd like to try some but don't want to spend a fortune.
Thanks much,
Rick
Per my signature, I have the Cargraphic *(Yup, expensive)* ones... I know there are DANSK ones that Performance Products sells AND I believe FVD has their own set available. I'm not sure who else sells them.

BE Warned HOWEVER, I got one CEL so far that had to be turned off, code was something about 'bank 2, catalytic converter not performing at optimal level'.... I hear I'll have to reset it one more time and then the computer will relearn that it is o.k.

Meanwhile, my cargrapic units are 50 state legal with the exemption code stamped right on the actual converter housing from cargraphic. Also, the other 95 993 has cat bypass and my 96 has NO nasty oder like the cat bypass so they ARE doing something!!
Old 04-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

mlincoln... will you ever give it a rest? Everyone here is an adult who can make their own decisions regarding an acceptable decibel level for their cars, homes, workplaces, etc. I'm sorry that you're so annoyed by others but no one really cares....

Quick Reply: Yikes! Cat-bypass pipes are loud!