Water in driver side bay - 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 04:16 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by seinan
Thanks Andy. The link was regarding some snowfall in Chile:-) I am preparing for winter in Norway and it is not driest place in the world, so link to windshield option would be appreciated.
Hi Seinan
Wow, where did that wrong link come from?
Here is the correct one:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...corrosion.html
Andy
The following users liked this post:
seinan (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 06:00 AM
seinan
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Update on work

Update:

In the weekend I did a shot on the evaporator cleaning and clogging up drains. A flow of water came out in the correct drain under cleaning. My frunk is also dry. No water in footwell under the work.
Front side via frunk and filter seems clean and okay. Backside behind CCU was also okay after cleaning. Washing the car again results in no external water coming in. All good.

Under my work I found out that the interior air vent in cabin on left side and left middle side was not opened more than 20-30 percent. Explaining the squeezing noise when fan set to level 3 or 4. This noise I have just being accepting due to thinking old bearings and so on in fan etc (based on other car experiences) . A quick giggle on the interior vent inlet, following click heard and both now opens/closes just fine when rotating the open/close wheel. After test drive I have totally different and better flow in cockpit. I suspect the vents have been used for mounting mobile rack or something.

The test drive using no fan, fan with heat, and finally AC on full resulted in no new water or condense in the floor mat, and no squeezing inlet noise :-). This needs to be tested and monetarized over time.

But maybe, just maybe, a cleaner evaporator and open air duct whit no damper on the AC air flow (that could end in compensated water dripping down...?) is the solution on my issue. Anyone having input /thoughts if a closed interior air vent and AC running could end in condensation water behind the vent damper plastic that could be blown down and end as water in the floor? Also high humidity period. A valid theory or not?

Thanks again for your support! Will keep you updated on findings after new test drives.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:32 AM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Congratulations on finding your issue. I live in a high humidity area (Houston, TX) year round. Doubtful a malfunctioning air vent and A/C running will result in that amount of water on the floor. Condensation yes, and if this were prolonged you would see signs of mold growth inside the vent. But not that volume of clean water.

Originally Posted by seinan
Update:

In the weekend I did a shot on the evaporator cleaning and clogging up drains. A flow of water came out in the correct drain under cleaning. My frunk is also dry. No water in footwell under the work.
Front side via frunk and filter seems clean and okay. Backside behind CCU was also okay after cleaning. Washing the car again results in no external water coming in. All good.

Under my work I found out that the interior air vent in cabin on left side and left middle side was not opened more than 20-30 percent. Explaining the squeezing noise when fan set to level 3 or 4. This noise I have just being accepting due to thinking old bearings and so on in fan etc (based on other car experiences) . A quick giggle on the interior vent inlet, following click heard and both now opens/closes just fine when rotating the open/close wheel. After test drive I have totally different and better flow in cockpit. I suspect the vents have been used for mounting mobile rack or something.

The test drive using no fan, fan with heat, and finally AC on full resulted in no new water or condense in the floor mat, and no squeezing inlet noise :-). This needs to be tested and monetarized over time.

But maybe, just maybe, a cleaner evaporator and open air duct whit no damper on the AC air flow (that could end in compensated water dripping down...?) is the solution on my issue. Anyone having input /thoughts if a closed interior air vent and AC running could end in condensation water behind the vent damper plastic that could be blown down and end as water in the floor? Also high humidity period. A valid theory or not?

Thanks again for your support! Will keep you updated on findings after new test drives.
The following users liked this post:
seinan (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:28 PM
seinan
Track Day

Smile

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Congratulations on finding your issue. I live in a high humidity area (Houston, TX) year round. Doubtful a malfunctioning air vent and A/C running will result in that amount of water on the floor. Condensation yes, and if this were prolonged you would see signs of mold growth inside the vent. But not that volume of clean water.
Hi. I hoped the answer could be the air vent, but did not expect it :-) Humidity in Huston proofs my hopefully but thin theory wrong.
So fare this week only short test work, no water :-).
Adventures on the road for the weekend will definitely be a chance to check if the things done with drains, cleaning etc have improved the situation.
So I will know more after a weekend on the road, with possible different weather conditions, and washing the car on return. Crossing my fingers!
Old 10-03-2021, 04:30 AM
seinan
Track Day

Still not solved. I guess I can suspect leaking water from exterior / outside. Only in the driver side footwell. Drove in rainy conditions and it got wet. In dry weather it is fine. Unfortunately I can not find any wet carpet in the side of the well or preproduce when washing the car. The wood bracket under the pedals is also dry. Only the floor Sound Proof Mat on driver side is getting wet, small amounts but soaking inn water as a sponge. Still front end seems to be starting point. I just do not understand how and where the leak comes from?

Any ideas from the forum on how to investigate further?

Quick Reply: Water in driver side bay - 993