Sponsored by:

Water in driver side bay - 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 04:52 PM
seinan
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Water in driver side bay - 993

I have a driver side floor isolation mat (Floor Sound Proof Mat) soaked in water in my Porsche 993 1995 C2 model. Only on the left driver side. Back and front right passenger is dry.

Floor Sound Proof Mat is getting soaked in front first. Then soaking inn water as a sponge throughout the whole mat.

So I dried it up. Started driving. It came back. Being sure I had a leakage I started checking windows, drains etc. following all DIY and forum advice I could find.

But then I got this experience, not described in any tread. I dried it again. Drove around on a sunny day. No rain, contact with water on road. Not washed for weeks.

After some hours the isolation mat was starting to be soaked with water again, in the front. Side interior seems dry. Wooden cover behind pedals is dry.

Starting to think of two options. Either water is stored in some odd compartment, released into coupe when driving. Or it has to do with condensation water from AC.

AC is working. I have checked if the AC have and condensation bay behind the torpedo/fire wall inside the coupe. Don’t think so (?)

Can the Air box, AC expansion valve, AC drain or something attached leak water into the driver side floor?

The AC did not work properly in 2019/20. Restoration of HVAC with new temperature fan (small fan on the module) was done. Works fine now. But could it be some pressure switch leaking when mounted back in? Or drain? Cant find any info or infrastructure supporting this, so guess No is the answer?

Will test drive with air fan and AC completely of as soon as the isolation mat and car is dry again. Then turn on air fan to test, then AC to test.

This is how fare I have come without findings:
  1. Washed/watered the whole car part by part, and no water coming in. Used bottle, hose and high pressure washer. Moved the car in different parking spots getting different elevation on the car.
  2. Opened up in front of the rocker panel left front. Cleaned and checked the gasoline bay drain open and drain works fine.
  3. Checked the left side drain opening in the floor side discussed in forums. It is sealed up. Have also in mind that the soaking water is further in front.
  4. Used a flexible stick and air pressure on the AC drain. Used air pressure on the air outlets in the car. All seems to flow okay. Water coming into the air intake seems to go out under the car (via the drain on the right side).
  5. No windshield soap or washer soap in the water in the mat. Clean water.

Have anybody had this experience? And any suggestions on solution or why? Appreciate all comments and inputs.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:07 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 264 Posts

If you run the AC, does water (condensation) leak below the car?

/
The following users liked this post:
seinan (08-26-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 05:37 PM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Its probably the evaporator drain that is blocked. I think if its clogged the water backs up into the fuel pump/steering rack area. Its a funny S shaped black hose, but under the car it looks like a long 'B'. Not sure you can snake something in there to dislodge the dirt.

See the 5th picture on this page. The arrow from 'Disconnect connect lines here' text points right over the drain.

https://p-car.com/diy/ac/

Here's the picture from the PET.
Part 16 is the 'B' shaped outlet under the car. Dirt likely clogged somewhere in 8, 14, and 11. Part 8 is the rubber S hose, which i think you can see if you contort yourself under the driver's footwell.

Last edited by paranoidandroid; 08-25-2021 at 06:13 PM.
seinan (08-26-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 08:45 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

I also suspect the condenser pan drain is clogged or the hose is disconnected from the pan which is causing the condensation (water) to flow into your cab.

I agree with the above suggestion to snake something into the drain hose to clear it. I have another option and that is to shoot compressed air into the discharge line and see if it clears the possible blockage.

This can be done with any air compressor using a hose attachment. Now this method will not fix any detached hose but it’s worth a try before you start disassembling your system.

You mentioned having your AC system worked on in the recent past. Is there a possibility the tech forgot to reattach the drain hose if he worked on that portion of your system.

I hope this helps or provides some useful ideas. RRC
seinan (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 04:24 AM
seinan
Track Day

Originally Posted by fatmike
If you run the AC, does water (condensation) leak below the car?

/
I believe so (registered small puddle under the drain outlet on the ground). But I need to check if it al goes out. Will investigate more. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:33 AM
seinan
Track Day

Thank you. I need to follow up on this. When poring water into the air intake, it is dripping out the drain under. Maybe one of the drain hoses, like 8 or 7 is used under operation and clogged, while rain water from above is running smoothly throughout the system through other drain hoses (like 1 and 2)? Or vis versa. Start with new round of compressed air, a thin flexible stick and visible inspection of the tube 8 part.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:40 AM
seinan
Track Day

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rrc715
I also suspect the condenser pan drain is clogged or the hose is disconnected from the pan which is causing the condensation (water) to flow into your cab.

I agree with the above suggestion to snake something into the drain hose to clear it. I have another option and that is to shoot compressed air into the discharge line and see if it clears the possible blockage.

This can be done with any air compressor using a hose attachment. Now this method will not fix any detached hose but it’s worth a try before you start disassembling your system.

You mentioned having your AC system worked on in the recent past. Is there a possibility the tech forgot to reattach the drain hose if he worked on that portion of your system.

I hope this helps or provides some useful ideas. RRC
Thanks. As paranoidandroid and rrc715 indicates I will focus more on this area. Clogging, detached hose etc. The work on my AC was only on the hvac module in cockpit. No sunroof on the car, by the way.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:42 AM
seinan
Track Day

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Its probably the evaporator drain that is blocked. I think if its clogged the water backs up into the fuel pump/steering rack area. Its a funny S shaped black hose, but under the car it looks like a long 'B'. Not sure you can snake something in there to dislodge the dirt.

See the 5th picture on this page. The arrow from 'Disconnect connect lines here' text points right over the drain.

https://p-car.com/diy/ac/

Here's the picture from the PET.
Part 16 is the 'B' shaped outlet under the car. Dirt likely clogged somewhere in 8, 14, and 11. Part 8 is the rubber S hose, which i think you can see if you contort yourself under the driver's footwell.

Thank you. I need to follow up on this. When poring water into the air intake, it is dripping out the drain under. Maybe one of the drain hoses, like 8 or 7 is used under operation and clogged, while rain water from above is running smoothly throughout the system through other drain hoses (like 1 and 2)? Or vis versa. Start with new round of compressed air, a thin flexible stick and visible inspection of the tube 8 part.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:34 AM
seinan
Track Day

Originally Posted by seinan

Coming straight trough. No water in cabin. Car off (not running)

Poring water in the air inlet. Car parked and off.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:37 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Dirt likely clogged somewhere in 8, 14, and 11. Part 8 is the rubber S hose, which

An easy way to clear an incremental clog may be to blow some air back up the drain outlet from below and remove the left-hand cabin filter and squirt some water with a mild detergent into the evaporator chamber and see if it flows out under the car. Here is a page with a picture of the evaporator viewed from the cabin filter position in the frunk about halfway down the page:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ditioning.html
Hope this helps,
Andy
seinan (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 10:47 AM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

This link shows the 964 suitcase, which is not all different than the 993 suitcase. In the first picture, you will see the drain hoses. There should be 4 drain locations in the evaporator suitcase, which then get combined into 2 by the time it gets to the bottom of the car at part 16. However, i believe the water you poured into the front bonnet may route slightly differently. Fresh air normally comes in there for the front blowers. Not sure how water routes but it may be different.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...onversion.html

Another thread i bookmarked was this one. Similar location of water, but this one was washing the car (or after rain), which i hope is not your issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...the-floor.html
seinan (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 02:15 PM
seinan
Track Day

Thank. Will try this out!
Old 08-26-2021, 02:27 PM
seinan
Track Day

Arrow

This link shows the 964 suitcase, which is not all different than the 993 suitcase. In the first picture, you will see the drain hoses. There should be 4 drain locations in the evaporator suitcase, which then get combined into 2 by the time it gets to the bottom of the car at part 16. However, i believe the water you poured into the front bonnet may route slightly differently. Fresh air normally comes in there for the front blowers. Not sure how water routes but it may be different.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...onversion.html

Another thread i bookmarked was this one. Similar location of water, but this one was washing the car (or after rain), which i hope is not your issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...the-floor.html

It seems not to come from washing or rain :-). Moderate amount of water is also a sign of no external leak in. Car was used in summer with rainy days, but same moderate soaking of water. My frunk is also dry. Not been wet at all during this issue. This evaporator cleaning and clogging up seems to be next. Maybe air is condensing but retuning with a lot of humidity in the footwell due to dirt stopping drain or a low functional condenser. Hot/Cold air is pretty okay I believe (have not compared it with similar car having this focus). I will keep you all updated. Thanks again for your support! Now I will try to follow Andys DIY on accessing and taking out CCU and filters to clean evaporator :-)
Old 08-27-2021, 09:19 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Hi Seinan,
If it was a leak around the windshield glass here is another page on how to fix the issue or forestall it from ever happening:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...corrosion.html
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 08-29-2021 at 04:15 PM. Reason: wrong link
seinan (08-30-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 09:50 AM
seinan
Track Day

Question

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi Seinan,
If it was a leak around the windshield glass here is another page on how to fix the issue or forestall it from ever happening:
https://www.ntd.com/snowfall-in-chil...st_666979.html
Andy
Thanks Andy. The link was regarding some snowfall in Chile:-) I am preparing for winter in Norway and it is not driest place in the world, so link to windshield option would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Water in driver side bay - 993