Heater Always On

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 04:33 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Always On

Originally Posted by ToreB
Johnyy, thank you for the correction, I have edited my post above. I agree, it could be an idea to check the reverse circuit, as well as the HVAC servos and fans. FredSmith, is your Climate Control Unit original to the car? Which part number is the unit, and which model year is the car?
Cheers,
Tore
Thanks for the replies chaps. I've located the heating / ventilation problem thanks to this forum. :-) The Servo in the drivers footwell has seized as the motor seems to have burnt out. I'm in the process of sourcing a new part or fix. The reverse switch is the next thing I'll check, I will have to wait until next weekend though. The reverse lights are not stuck on but do come on as they should when selecting reverse. However, if my memory serves me right (its been a problem for a couple of years) it all started when putting the car in reverse, so it does seem there is a connection to the problem there. Thanks again chaps, I'll update when I get to look at it again. Your help is really appreciated.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:33 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by FredSmith
Thanks for the replies chaps. I've located the heating / ventilation problem thanks to this forum. :-) The Servo in the drivers footwell has seized as the motor seems to have burnt out. I'm in the process of sourcing a new part or fix. The reverse switch is the next thing I'll check, I will have to wait until next weekend though. The reverse lights are not stuck on but do come on as they should when selecting reverse. However, if my memory serves me right (its been a problem for a couple of years) it all started when putting the car in reverse, so it does seem there is a connection to the problem there. Thanks again chaps, I'll update when I get to look at it again. Your help is really appreciated.
In fact the more I think about it, the heater control unit in the dash started to play up as mentioned above after I opened up the console in between the front seats. I needed to get to the handbrake connection and I probably nudged, broke, affected the wiring for the heater control. Its likely the reverse switch is, or possibly the wiring for it is around the same area so I may have shorted the circuit there. H'mm, I'll check all this next weekend. Thanks again :-)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:32 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by FredSmith
In fact the more I think about it, the heater control unit in the dash started to play up as mentioned above after I opened up the console in between the front seats. I needed to get to the handbrake connection and I probably nudged, broke, affected the wiring for the heater control. Its likely the reverse switch is, or possibly the wiring for it is around the same area so I may have shorted the circuit there. H'mm, I'll check all this next weekend. Thanks again :-)
Reverse switch is mounted to the transmission. Not likely impacted by console removal.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:38 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
Reverse switch is mounted to the transmission. Not likely impacted by console removal.
Ok, thanks. After finding the problem to the heating I'm now inspired to find & fix the control unit issue. I will remove the centre console once more and see if there is anything obvious. I'm not doubting you :-) mainly just doubting me. Ultimately I might change the reverse switch to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:49 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 250 Posts

If the reverse lights work normally, there's nothing wrong with the switch.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-27-2023, 10:51 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

I guess thats a fair point :-) Thanks. I guess its all down to checking all the wiring then, the dash control unit must be shorting out somewhere. I'll check the wiring this weekend. Thanks all.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:03 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 511 Posts

I'm just some random guy on the internet, you don't need to believe me. No worries.

However, if your reverse lights are working as they should, it makes a strong argument that your switch is not the issue.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:09 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

I believe you and grateful for your steer :-) It makes sense regarding the reverse switch, I was hoping that that would be the problem as it sounds an easier fix than trying to find a wiring problem .... Any other ideas will be gratefully received :-) Thanks again....
Old 04-21-2023, 05:41 PM
Dplus
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Tore and Andy, using your info I was able to diagnose a failed hvac servo motor; fortunately, only the left side motor failed.

Thanks mpruden for this:Rebuilding the mixer servos - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums Great write up and pictures for the removal and replacement. I ended up buying a new servo motor from eeuroparts.com for 274.00, least expensive I could find, rather than try to rebuild.

Best regards,

Darell

Quick Reply: Heater Always On