Sponsored by:

What stereo mods have you done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What stereo mods have you done?

I'm considering replacing my Becker CDR-210 and would like to hear from anyone who has installed a new system, and if so, do any stereos other than the Harmon Kardon Traffic Pro plug in with all the existing plugs with no cutting/splicing. So, tell me what systems you have and how does it sound? (My main goal with a new stereo is premium sound quality and a near OEM look.)

Thanks,
Mark

P.S. I also need compatability with the stock Becker 6 disk CD changer.

My car is a '99 996 C2 Coupe.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:32 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Our cars have a stereo??
Old 04-07-2004, 02:23 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

You should give Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations a call...they are fantastic and knowledgeable to deal with and their rear floor sub is terrific. They did my 930 for me and I just started talking to them about doing my 993...the system is phenomenal.

As far as a being great people to do business with, I have not spoken to them in 2 years since doing my 930 and when I talked to Rod this past week regarding my 993, I mentioned my Focal speaker grills on the 930 fall off on occasion...he is sending my new grills and special stickum to hold them in place...no charge...

I have no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

Good luck
Old 04-07-2004, 07:52 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Slightly off topic, but - is anyone having speaker issues? I sometime find that my OEM speakers (on the passenger side) fade in and out. One of my buddies has suggested that this is common given the hard ride & the fact that I live in NYC - where the potholes are large enough to eat medium-sized farm animals...
Old 04-07-2004, 08:23 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

Rod Birch installed my system as well, and I was also very pleased with the outcome and service.

In fact, here's my car on Rod's site.

I've changed a few things since then. I think the current inventory is

nak cd-400 in-dash cd
focal speakers
audison amp
image dynamics subs

Originally i had the nak MB-75 in-dash changer. After having 2 of those jam, upgrading to a MB-100 and having that jam, I gave up and went back to a single cd.

Personally, I think changing the front speakers and amp is the most noticable difference. I don't think the factory head unit is the best in the world, but it's not terrible either.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark,

I'm replacing my system too. So far I replced the speakers with Pioneer components TS-S160R. Pictures below. I'm still debating with the head unit. I wish they make the Becker Monza for U.S. market, that would have been my first choice. Like you, I'm looking for OEM look(No fancy display).

But for now, I seldom turn on the radio because I'd rather listen to the notes of the engine and exhaust..so no real urgency

Regarding the quick swap, or harness to adapt other brands, I've asked several shops too. Non of them have Porsche harnesses, even the ones that do a lot of porsches, they said that they just hard wire(splice directly) them. That's for 993. Maybe your 996 have more after market harnesses.

These are the new speakers/Tweeters not in view:

My choice for head units(BUT not avail in U.S) Maybe I'll get Nakamichi or Blaupunk:

Here's a thread too of similar discussion:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=monza+becker

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 04-08-2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replaced my CR-1 with a Kenwood KMD-44 AM/FM/MD unit (found MD to be a big step-up from cassettes; sorry they never caught on). Had to cut the harness off the CR-1 to have the Kenwood match the car harness.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replaced all of my speakers with JL Audio, Sony amp under passenger seat, and the Kenwood Excelon 915 something (fold down detachable face in dash CD unit)....all recommendations straight from Rod Birch.

I have been very happy with all of it except I would like to find and amp with just a little more power for the higher end base notes when the sound is up high. I think the Sony amp was a good compromise for Rod to use because it fit under the passenger seat of the 993 model and kept his clients from having to mount anything in the trunk area.

Overall, happiness factor is a 9 on a 10 scale. Rod is awesome, no affiliation of course.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like there are definitely some interesting options.

Mark
Old 04-08-2004, 01:40 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Carrera Mike
...I wish they make the Becker Monza for U.S. market, that would have been my first choice....
Mike - Matterhorn762 on the 996 board posted that he bought a Monza from a US source....SW Stereo whom I have purchased from before.

Becker Monza thread
Old 04-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Originally posted by volpenyc
Slightly off topic, but - is anyone having speaker issues? I sometime find that my OEM speakers (on the passenger side) fade in and out. One of my buddies has suggested that this is common given the hard ride & the fact that I live in NYC - where the potholes are large enough to eat medium-sized farm animals...
My speakers (OEM HiFi option with the CR-210 headunit) used to fade in and out as well. No rhyme or reason...I checked all the connections and sometimes one or both speakers wouldn't work.

I had Rod Birch install a new underseat amp, Focal speakers front and coax Focals in the rear, and an Alpine HU that I bought from a guy at work. More than 1 year later, I continue to be really happy with the system. I might add subwoofers some day to fill things out better. But in summary, my new system makes the stock unit sound like a motel room clock radio.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by David in LA
Mike - Matterhorn762 on the 996 board posted that he bought a Monza from a US source....SW Stereo whom I have purchased from before.
Becker Monza thread
David, Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. Hopefully they won't cost an arm and a leg for being "Imported".
Old 04-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gert can also get you a Becker Monza at a much better price - you may want to check with him. The issues with it being a non-US unit are minor (IMHO) - they're as follows:

1. In Europe, the FM frequency steps are 100kHz vs U.S. tuning by 200kHz. So, you may have to press the button twice to step up by one frequency interval. This is a non-issue to me.

2. You'll not likely get very many of the AM stations to come through. As I understand it, it's because the U.S. tuning interval is 10kHz and the european interval 9kHz. I rarely listen to AM anyway.

I have a Becker Monza sitting on my credenza waiting for the install to progress; I'll be driving it with 3 Helix amps and hearing it all through a Dynaudio component system and a set of matched coax speakers that fit into the original housings in the rear. I should have pictures and comments in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Rick

Quick Reply: What stereo mods have you done?