Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License Plates

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004 | 06:32 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Question License Plates

I used to live in Belgium where one could replace the front license plates with a sticker attached to the front bumper, which was the exact same size and color of the plate. The would not only avoid the need for a front bracket, but also maintain the lines of the car. Seeing as I live in NYC, where many a time I have had an SUV or some other parking skill-challenged drive knock my front license plate off, I know this would be very convenient. (It would also save me the $55 ticket for not having the front plate attached) Does anyone know whether or not this is:
a) legal and b) anywhere these are made?
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:34 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wonder if a place like Fast Signs who make signs for consu,ers and businesses out of vinyl could copy your plate...Hmmm
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:36 PM
volpenyc
Pro

I would do it, just want someone's opinion as to legality (particularly in NYC)....
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:41 PM
james993
Intermediate

I lived in upstate NY for a while, and can confirm that they are very interested in cars without front plates. This is probably more so on the highway than in the city.

I am not a lawyer, so don't know the legal situation. However, I would keep the plate in the car. If you get pulled over you can always use the excuse that the bracket for the plate was damaged and you are waiting for the part. Easier to handle than explaining why you have a sticker that looks like a plate.

Isn't the problem here the look of a strange square plate on the front. I don't think I would even want a sticker. But, that is just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:43 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do not believe that is legal. But you can simply look at NY DOT's web site, I think they have thios info (I was once ticketed in NY State for no front plate and had to look it up, but it's been about 10 years since).
What you can do is carry a plate and bracket in the front trunk. A convenient excuse "it was just knocked off" should work.
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:53 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I asked a few sticker makers/sellers on ebay about doing this for me and none would do it??
Old 04-05-2004 | 07:07 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Bad news- it is ILLEGAL in the state of NY. Here is the text of the statutue: "
S 402-a. Facsimile license plates. 1. No person shall manufacture,
sell, or offer for sale a decorative or facsimile license plate of a
size, shape, color and design which is identical with the size, shape,
color and design of license plates issued by the department. "

Oh well...time to write to my congressman..
Old 04-05-2004 | 08:44 PM
shafo
Instructor

this is probably illegal to stop a shady individual from copying your plate, mounting it, and commiting a crime.
Old 04-05-2004 | 10:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by volpenyc
Bad news- it is ILLEGAL in the state of NY. Here is the text of the statutue: "
S 402-a. Facsimile license plates. 1. No person shall manufacture,
sell, or offer for sale a decorative or facsimile license plate of a
size, shape, color and design which is identical with the size, shape,
color and design of license plates issued by the department. "
But if it were not identical, then the plate would be legal, yes? I say make it smaller; that would not be under anyone's definition of "identical".
Old 04-05-2004 | 11:19 PM
Wsp964
Racer

Hi guys,

I live in Belgium. The "sticker" license plates are normally not legal anymore since a few months here. That's the latest I heard anyway.

There's a new law that says that the front license plate should be reflectif (right word?!). The stickers are not so its forbidden. However there are still people driving around with them. The problem is that with the yearly technical control here they will have a refusal and will be obliged to swap for the bracket mounted one.

However it might be worth to drive around with them and swap just before the technical control.

If somebody would be interested than I can always look around at the local shops and send it over. I am just not sure if they are still sold.

I might find a pic of how they look. So if I can help let me know. I ve learned so much from you guys that it would be a pleasure to do something back for this board and its members.

WSP993

Quick Reply: License Plates