Sponsored by:

1st and 2nd Gear down shift Effort

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 06:39 PM
rocket94
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1st and 2nd Gear down shift Effort

When downshifting coming to a light, or slowing up, moving the gear box from neutral to 1st or 2nd, it feels like i hit something and it i have to force it into gear. yes the clutch is depressed! I am directly in the gate, not searching. Any one have issue or Fix for this? At a standstill, moving into 1st is very easy.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:26 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

I find that you have to be going pretty slow to smoothly go into first. As far as 2nd, are you in the right rev range? If so, are there any other issues while shifting up?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:29 PM
rocket94
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gavonder
I find that you have to be going pretty slow to smoothly go into first. As far as 2nd, are you in the right rev range? If so, are there any other issues while shifting up?
no issues up shifting.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

I have the same issue if I’m doing it at-speed, but no issue once I’m stopped or maybe <5 mph.

Could this be a safety feature to prevent over-revving?
Old 04-08-2021, 12:15 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 98 Posts

Some savvy forum members here have stated that downshifting into 1st should not be done-ever.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsa:
gavonder (04-08-2021), pp000830 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 12:50 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try doing a match rev downshift. Go to neutral, let the clutch out while blipping the throttle, press in the clutch, shift to second. Try doing this sequence when you downshift to any gear.
Saves your synchronizers. For first gear, as you roll up to a stop, go to neutral, pop the clutch out just before the car stops rolling, press in the clutch and shift to first.
The synchronizers match the revs of two shafts so the gears can mesh without clashing, by using the method I described you use the clutch for this, not usually perfectly but close enough
that it is much easier for the synchronizers to take it the rest of the way.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:53 AM
rocket94
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dick in TN
Try doing a match rev downshift. Go to neutral, let the clutch out while blipping the throttle, press in the clutch, shift to second. Try doing this sequence when you downshift to any gear.
Saves your synchronizers. For first gear, as you roll up to a stop, go to neutral, pop the clutch out just before the car stops rolling, press in the clutch and shift to first.
The synchronizers match the revs of two shafts so the gears can mesh without clashing, by using the method I described you use the clutch for this, not usually perfectly but close enough
THanks for the input guys, This is helpful. This is my first manual PCAR and learning. My other manual was a Mazda RX7 1987 and it was much different.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:21 AM
nk993
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by gavonder
Originally Posted by fsa
Some savvy forum members here have stated that downshifting into 1st should not be done-ever.
Originally Posted by Dick in TN
He said clutch is depressed.... so none of these are the issue

FWIW OP I had the same symptoms as you, but I doubt you have the same underlying issue. In my case it was an incorrectly installed input shaft bearing causing residual friction

Last edited by nk993; 04-08-2021 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:23 AM
joerg65
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same problem on my 964 and it was cured when I replaced the master and slave clutch cylinders.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:50 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Double clutch and see if there is improvement
The following users liked this post:
JasonAndreas (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 12:15 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
I will “downshift” into 1st when coming to a stop at a stale red light since it’ll be green soon, but I keep the clutch pedal depressed the entire time.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:16 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by nk993
He said clutch is depressed.... so none of these are the issue......

Not true. Just because the clutch is depressed doesn't mean it will go into gear. There could be many other things going on.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:55 PM
rocket94
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by notabot
I will “downshift” into 1st when coming to a stop at a stale red light since it’ll be green soon, but I keep the clutch pedal depressed the entire time.
That is correct, i have the Clutch to the floor while slowing down and it takes alot of effort to push into first and second gear. Almost like is fighting something. Nothing grinding though, just a hard push in as if i am fighting a linkage then pops in. If i come to a full stop and then engage 1st the shift is normal.
I think most of us do this sequence. you see a light ahead doing 40 MPH in 3rd gear. Clutch to floor, out of third, keep clutch depressed and as i slow to 10-15 mph in anticipation of the light to change you try to engage 1st or 2nd (still clutch down) and thats when i have an issue. I hope i am explaining this clearly.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:32 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket94
That is correct, i have the Clutch to the floor while slowing down and it takes alot of effort to push into first and second gear. Almost like is fighting something. Nothing grinding though, just a hard push in as if i am fighting a linkage then pops in. If i come to a full stop and then engage 1st the shift is normal.
I think most of us do this sequence. you see a light ahead doing 40 MPH in 3rd gear. Clutch to floor, out of third, keep clutch depressed and as i slow to 10-15 mph in anticipation of the light to change you try to engage 1st or 2nd (still clutch down) and thats when i have an issue. I hope i am explaining this clearly.

hmmmm ...
long time ago i learned that you shouldn't role with depressed clutch at all ... When you slow down in 3rd, on the low point switch down in 2nd and roll to stop, than put in 1st ... if you don't stop, stay in 2nd, he will pull you out if accelerating, even from mostly standstill ...
Old 04-08-2021, 02:44 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
Never ever, unless you want to wear your synchros out and if done aggressively cause your clutch to explode!

Quick Reply: 1st and 2nd Gear down shift Effort