Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 02:56 PM
kertong
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sad Provenance on my new to me 993 C2S

Hi folks,

Wanted to share a story with you.

Since selling my 993 C4S about an year ago, I've been on the hunt for another 993. Preferred a RWD version, but didn't think a C2S would be too easy to find.

It's crazy how hard these are to find if you're picky! I wanted black, arctic silver, or white; but the longer my hunt went, the more I found my criteria widening.

I finally found a well cared for, driven polar silver C4S on euromotion; got everything squared away before emailing Tarek (my mistake; next time call first, put deposit down, figure out rest later), and was notified it had *just* sold. Was incredibly bummed. Later that evening I was scrolling through the usual sources, and I saw a 1998 C2S listed at a local high end consignment shop that specializes in porsche/lotus (Cars Dawydiak) that wasn't there when I checked earlier in the week. Decided not to repeat the same mistake, and called them right away to put a deposit down. Apparently they had listed it that same day, already had 3 or 4 inquiries, but I was first to put the deposit down. I wired over the full amount the next day, and the folks at Dawydiak told me they had no less than 10 more inquires and requests to see the car come in since my deposit!

But here's where it gets a little bit Sad.

When I went to pick up the car last friday, I had set up an 8:30am appointment. My wife and I got there at 8:10am, so we sat in the car curbside a little bit enjoying our coffee. In front of our very eyes, a pigeon falls out of the sky and hits the sidewalk, and flops over lifeless right in front of us. Wingtips blowing slightly in the breeze. That was a strange omen.

Strange start, but ok. I go into the showroom and inspect the heck out of the 993. Things look fantastic. 72k miles, and only two owners on file, with the last owner having owned the car for 20 years. Salesman mentions the 356B next to it is that owner's as well that he is selling. Of course, I pry a little to ask why the sudden sale, and the sales rep tells me that they are being sold through his wife, as the owner is terminally ill. Oh, man.

I was incredibly excited for the 993, but something about that day made the experience a little more somber. Felt like I was inspecting hallowed ground. To Dawydiak's credit, they were fantastic, and even after I said "I'll take it, where do I sign", they insisted they drive the car around the side entrance to go back to their shop, get it on a lift, and have me inspect the underside of the car, etc.

After I signed the paperwork and prepared to drive it off, the salesman told me he was very glad it went to me (I had done business with these folks before for a few other cars); apparently the owner told him that he wanted to see his cars go to somebody who would care well for them, but also drive them regularly and enjoy them for what they are. He did *not* want to see it get locked away in a safe somewhere as an 'investment'.

I hope I can do him proud. Been daily'ing the car since I brought it home, and it has been a reliable trooper. RWD definitely feels very different from the AWD - front feels unburdened and light; and steering feels lighter, yet more free to move with feedback. To be fair though, my 4S was on kwv3's and this is on stock suspension, stock ride height (sport chassis option but no ROW spring height).

Couple items I plan to refresh to make the car perfect:

1) Porsche Classic head unit with carplay - incoming
2) Alternator/Engine main cooling fan replacement; one blade has a small crack at the base
3) left turn signal does not "cancel" after straightening the wheel
4) Small hole in driver's side weather stripping seal right above the doorsill
5) KW v3 installation and 4 wheel alignment
6) New fluids, filters, battery, and plugs/wires/distributors if necessary

And so, the next chapter for this 993 begins. Little bit sad, but it makes this 993 more than a car to me. Stewardship definitely applies.

So, without further ado, here are some photos! Included one of my prior 993 C4S as well.

Inside the showroom - the 356B is also the same owner's:

Driving her home:

Safe at home:

Applied some leather honey and cleaning/shining wipes to the interior - was quite musty beforehand:

My former 1997 C4S - factory aerokit 2 (I later swapped the wing to a standard decklid), on kwv3's fister 2's, fister ssk, should have kept it but had other reasons to sell:
The following 3 users liked this post by kertong:
911F1 (04-04-2021), 993AerCooler (04-06-2021), mdude (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 03:21 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Bittersweet story but the former owner should be happy that it's going to a good home and will be driven. Looks like a great find and proves that you can't hesitate on the good ones when they come up for sale.
The following users liked this post:
kertong (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 04:57 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Interesting story, hope the car makes you "die for love, a little death" every time you drive it!
Andy
kertong (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 06:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

That looks like a very nice example - congrats on bringing it home.

Andreas
kertong (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 06:37 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

A 98 C2S is a great find and successor to the C4S. 💯 agree about the RWD front end feeling lighter, nimble etc, also much prefer it too!

Congrats and happy motoring
The following 2 users liked this post by Knight:
kertong (04-04-2021), M. Schneider (04-17-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Why did you bypass purchase contingent on PPI ? I doubt anyone would object to that even with all the interest. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2021, 08:59 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 278 Posts

I bought my 993 in November from an owner in a similar situation. Same feelings as you, quite bittersweet. He passed in January. I will take care of his car, and I will drive it. Reading his obit, he sounds like he was a hell of a guy.

"An accomplished triathlete and fitness enthusiast, he completed the NYC Marathon 11 times and treasured his time spent hiking and biking. A private licensed pilot through the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association, he enjoyed traveling and was a talented photographer. He also put his engineering background to good use in the restoration of vintage cars and motorcycles."

Last edited by 4Driver4; 04-04-2021 at 10:22 PM.
kertong (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts

Congrats!
kertong (04-04-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 12:59 AM
kertong
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you all! Bittersweet indeed. Life is life.

Took the 993 out today (didn't have time to wash unfortunately) and decided to snap some photos:

Styrizo (04-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Sad Provenance on my new to me 993 C2S