Sponsored by:

How amazing!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:54 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How amazing!

I get a call today from my auto insurance company saying that they are going to cancel my policy. Rather confused I say why is that, a drunk driver hit me on the street. She says, "no, it is not because of that, it is because your car has been modified for speed and if they had known they would have never insured the car." She continued to say that the car is unsafe for the street. Of course I am wondering how a rollbar and 6 point harnesses is unsafe.

I have a call into someone else at Liberty Mutual to discuss this further. There really isn't any justice. I get hit by a drunk driver and now I get droped (not just the Porsche but the whole policy)!!!!

What has the world come to!
Old 03-29-2004, 10:26 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

You have GOT to be kidding???!!!! I'd be ripping!!!!

I use State Farm - and my track car was approved by the local agent after they visually inspected it and took pictures - INCLUDING the 6-point belts, Rollbar, A-032Rs, a Euro 3.0, headers, race seat, etc. His comment was if it passed Street Inspection - it was able to be insured. In NH - it passed without any problem....

You agent really said ...modified for speed..?? You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME??!!! Did you ask what that "definition" was within "Liberty Mutual"?

Just a reason NEVER to do business with Liberty Mutual, IMHO.....
Old 03-29-2004, 10:27 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really stinks Kary. Sorry to hear about this...

chuck
Old 03-29-2004, 10:38 PM
kary993
Drifting

John, I did ask what was modified for speed on the car that makes it unsafe. I pointed out that the car has porsche factory parts. I did not get an answer. I was forwarded to someone else who did not answer the phone. I was forced to leave a message. Hopefully I will get a call back. If not I'll keep calling ;-((
Old 03-29-2004, 10:51 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Kary, call your state's insurance regulation body and report it. Get a case number. Call your insurance back, or rather write them a certified letter, stating what the case # is and demending an explanation within 72 hours.
This is rediculous.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:19 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

How dare you drive DE's to improve your driving skills!!

What are we thinking???
Old 03-30-2004, 02:49 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Maybe someone at Liberty confused your rollbar for a rollcage?
Old 03-30-2004, 03:08 AM
Derrick B.
Racer

Uhhh, isn't a roll bar "modified for safety?"

Seriously, you should submit your complaint IN WRITING. My sister in law is an insurance adjustor, and people complain all the time. But when they get letters, the BOSS finds out. They all freak out when they (the insurance adjustors) think they might get in trouble.

Good luck. Don't think this company is worth keeping though.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:05 AM
rick993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kary;
The California State Insurance Commisioner is:
John Garamendi
California Department of Insurance
Consumer Communications Bureau
300 South Spring Street, South Tower
Los Angeles, CA 90013
1-800-927-HELP (4357) or 213-897-8921
TDD Number: 1-800-482-4TDD (4833)
The Hotline hours are from 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Mon. - Fri. (Except Holidays)

Rick
Old 03-30-2004, 06:49 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the nation of "Weapons of Mass Destruction", you would be justified in using one on therse clowns.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:16 AM
kary993
Drifting

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will follow up today with the insurance commissioner as well as the insurance company. First I want to get an explanation about the car modifications that disqualify my policy. I can go from there.

I'll keep ya posted!

Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:21 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I just called Leland West for a quote. Her first question was 'Has your car been modified" After I stopped laughing and said "yes", she told me that they would not consider me.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:48 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott,

What DID you do to that car? I KNOW is was stock when you got it.

Seriously, (and I am not trying to justify what insurance companies do) they are always trying to cull groups that they think will result in higher claims to both raise profits, and keep rates down to generate more biz. I would bet that the modification rules are being made because of all the imports. You have to beleive that within that group, mods are an accurate differentiator between a hopped up, nitrous breathing street racer and a stock Civic AND there is a difference in claims rates.

I think that the insurance companies are also increasingly going after DE's as a high risk activity. Much as we beleive that DE's make you a better driver, the accident rate at DE's is much higher per vehicle mile than it is for street driving. Do your own math on that one - just estimate how many damage incidents there are per event, how many cars and miles per event and you have accidents per mile. Do a search and you may be shocked. My point is that as more insurance companies figure this out, they are going to not only exclude track damage, but also want to cancel those policies. Part of the problem is that there is no one, as far as I know, who is trying to educate the insurance industry about DE's. Maybe the overall claims rate is lower for those that do DE's, but there is no way currently, to figure that out so the insurance companies will take the easy way out.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:47 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

It seems to me that there is a market for track/DE insurance. I really don't know who offers it and neither does my independent agent. Some entreprenuer shuold fill the void. Seems like with all of the clubs and cars doing track events, there should be a way to make a profit. Isn't that what it's all about anyway.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:52 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

That is unreal Kary... I hope you get it worked out.

Quick Reply: How amazing!