Sponsored by:

993 WB Values are UP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 04:19 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
This. Maybe OT is the wrong choice. Make a value sub-forum. Values and rampant speculation is indeed not technical whatsoever. Maybe I'm just old. I'll drop this thread too and go outside to return to my regular task of yelling at clouds.
I don't think it's rampant. There are hard data points here. not all blather.

Pricing data and sold data is indeed technical when it comes to market analysis.

Maybe you are just old. I don't mean this in a bad way. I realized the same recently when I was sitting in a presentation from an economist from our countries largest bank, she was probably early 30s, if that. The tide has shifted, I remember sitting in presentations with people older than me presenting on such topics. Relating this back to classic Porsches....the demographic is changing I believe. You are now getting owners 28-45 yrs old who may be less likely to wrench on their cars (where technical = mechanical). Therefore less to contribute when it comes to mechanical.

I am in that demographic and don't have the space, tools or time to wrench beyond things that might take 1-2 hrs or less in a sitting. I have done a few things on my 993 like swap out original side stone guards, remove tint, change engine cooling fan air duct. I did post a how to thread on tint removal and stone guard removal.
Don't yell at clouds unless it's raining.
The following users liked this post:
71-3.0-911 (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 05:08 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 511 Posts

No worries on this end. I am 43 and have the time, tools, and space to do all my own wrenching. I get what you mean about tides shifting, and no offense taken. I have taken more than a few new 993 owners into my garage to teach them how to wrench on their cars, hopefully inspiring the next generation of caretakers. There are a lot of good ones out there.

Years ago, the Admins/Mods made a pricing sticky that you can see at the top of the 993 technical landing page. My thoughts are that they should all be merged into that thread as the basis for removing pricing data from technical discussion was established long ago. The basis of the pricing thread is "hard data required" and if someone had the time or interest could distill all the sold data and plot over time based on equipment, model, etc. Easy pivot table stuff to really be able to discern pricing. This would be great for buyers and sellers. I would consider that valuable to the community. The majority of this thread, in particular, is arguing over which is better, 2S or 4S.

Regardless, I dont take much, if any of this seriously. But those clouds have it coming....
Old 12-05-2022, 05:34 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

hopefully inspiring the next generation of caretakers. There are a lot of good ones out there.
Easy pivot table stuff to really be able to discern pricing. This would be great for buyers and sellers. I would consider that valuable to the community.
I worry about that here, the trusted shops have owners who are nearing retirement. Hope their employees pick up and keep going. Dealers largely don't have the experience to work on aircooled, especially 964 and older.

IIRC there was a guy here who was compiling data in a sheet with a value plot. No pivot tables but was still useful. I think I used that when I was hunting for my 993 in late 2020.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:47 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

No worries on this end. I am 43 and have the time, tools, and space to do all my own wrenching. I get what you mean about tides shifting, and no offense taken. I have taken more than a few new 993 owners into my garage to teach them how to wrench on their cars, hopefully inspiring the next generation of caretakers. There are a lot of good ones out there.

Years ago, the Admins/Mods made a pricing sticky that you can see at the top of the 993 technical landing page. My thoughts are that they should all be merged into that thread as the basis for removing pricing data from technical discussion was established long ago. The basis of the pricing thread is "hard data required" and if someone had the time or interest could distill all the sold data and plot over time based on equipment, model, etc. Easy pivot table stuff to really be able to discern pricing. This would be great for buyers and sellers. I would consider that valuable to the community. The majority of this thread, in particular, is arguing over which is better, 2S or 4S.

Regardless, I dont take much, if any of this seriously. But those clouds have it coming....
Great attitude here. And SToronto, that’s a darn good thread on Stone guard replacement. PRSWILL, also no offense intended. These value threads need simply need a new home, so hey, you (and you know who you are) get off of my cloud!
71-3.0-911 (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 06:09 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I worry about that here, the trusted shops have owners who are nearing retirement. Hope their employees pick up and keep going. Dealers largely don't have the experience to work on aircooled, especially 964 and older.

IIRC there was a guy here who was compiling data in a sheet with a value plot. No pivot tables but was still useful. I think I used that when I was hunting for my 993 in late 2020.
I resonate with that. I think there was a bit of a collective panic when the word got out that Steve Weiner was retiring. Glad to hear he is still consulting. I think that Porsche AG is keying into this, as part of the Porsche Classic dealer network shows. I have had good luck with Porsche Classic in Colorado Springs, but a trusted air cooled mechanic with decades of experience, they are not. Great group of folks for sure that do great work. With the values how they are, I would think that a trusted air cooled mechanic would be pulling in some big money, example Gamroth and Rothsport racing, Neinmeiser, Ed Pink, etc..... There is a ton of money in rebuilding these engines. Ive seen 80k mile engines asking $25k. The talent is still around but I feel the days of the local guy being able to build and tune aircooled cars is fading.

Ive seen that chart. I forget who is compiling it. Useful, yes but more data is always better. :-)
Old 12-05-2022, 07:54 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

I think for folks trying to buy or sell a 993, pricing (sales) data is extremely valuable. I came here 5 years ago trying to figure out what to bid/offer on a 993 as a newbie, because I had no idea. This forum was great start in my education. Is it "Technical"? Certainly not. Useful? Absolutely - to buyers and sellers trying to determine a good buy from a bad one, or maybe trying to decide insurance value. I collected data for a year and a half before the right one came along and when it did, I knew immediately - only because I educated myself ahead of time. Without "data" like below, I might have hesitated/haggled, and lost out. Knowledge is power. I'm now the proud owner of Foxman's "Zenith" For those in the same boat here's the latest chart. (The big dots are Rudy's 993's).

Last edited by jay@EZimmoblock.com; 12-06-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Kyzcreig (12-06-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:22 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

Boy I miss that Zenith, Jay. But glad it went to a great owner. And you’ve been a really solid contributor to this Forum, and 993 owners in general. I really need to buy one of you Immoblocks!
jay@EZimmoblock.com (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 09:47 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
I really need to buy one of you Immoblocks!
I have a special-edition Zenith Blue one for you
Old 12-06-2022, 11:23 AM
Kyzcreig
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 51 Posts

@Gbos1 Which is better, the 2S or 4S? Just joshing you, fella.

Still surprised to see this go for only $155k. Steal of a deal.

BaT: Porsche 911 Carrera 4S (24k miles) 6MT

Last edited by Kyzcreig; 12-06-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:28 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
Great attitude here. And SToronto, that’s a darn good thread on Stone guard replacement.
Thanks.

I have another I intend to post up....for some time now. I did a regear project (well I researched, bought and shuttled parts around) replacing 1 through 6 with a short ratio set. Leveraged much of the knowledge found here during the decision process. Project was spurred by a need to replace 2nd synchro.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:08 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyzcreig

That was a steal for sure! With Recession knocking not surprised it fell $40k under market from before.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:04 PM
dalves11
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I have another I intend to post up....for some time now. I did a regear project (well I researched, bought and shuttled parts around) replacing 1 through 6 with a short ratio set. Leveraged much of the knowledge found here during the decision process. Project was spurred by a need to replace 2nd synchro.
Please do. I've started by own regear research several times through the years. Always loose momentum for one reason or another. But solidly at top of my project list now. Always looking for more threads. Thanks
Old 12-06-2022, 03:02 PM
XUR
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyzcreig

Softening... that should have been a $185k car last year. 16% decrease.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:06 PM
My993_4s_Dave
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Timing is very important and unpredictable. However, it's a little cheap for the mileage, but red is not a hot color ans usually sells for less.
Kyzcreig (12-06-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 06:38 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts
Default 993 value discussion - look at 964!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...s-package-car/

This is what I was referencing earlier - WOW WOW WOW

Quick Reply: 993 WB Values are UP!!!