993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Battery Alternative??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004 | 01:47 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

After going through 2 OEM batteries, I went with Sears Diehard International like Mike. I've had it for 2 years now without any problems. I don't even use my battery tender to keep it charged like I used to with OEM's.
Old 03-26-2004 | 04:09 PM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

With our batteries being stored in an enclosed space, ventillation to the outside is extra important. The use of the Optima precludes the vent tube. Remember Robin Sun described an explosion in his trunk when the volatile gas from his battery detonated. The dry battery makes sense from a pure safety sense.
Old 03-26-2004 | 07:36 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by mo
Anyone here with Optima use the trickle charger ? If so any different to use than traditional acid batteries ?
I have had a generic battery tender and Optima installed for almost 3 years, works fine.

If I had a Priority Start installed, I wouldn't have discharged my brand new Optima by leaving the Valentine One on for a week. But it was a fun project hard-wiring it using Robin's instructions on p-car.com. Ditto for the oil cooler fan switch and garage door opener projects.
Old 03-29-2004 | 10:24 PM
Jordan Lee
Intermediate

Default RedTop Installation

Thanks again guys....... Dropped in a Optima RedTop 75/35 this weekend with little drama. It seems to sit just a little higher than the OEM so I was a little concerned at the lack of clearance between the bottom of the CD changer and the negative terminal on the battery but it seems fine.

Incidentally, upon removing the plastic molding at the front of the trunk I found a wire cable that had become unattached from the hood release. It appears that it is some sought of auxiliary cable since it appears in addition to the main hood release cable which is attached and working fine. Any ideas as to what this other cable is for?

Regards,

J
Old 03-30-2004 | 12:53 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a CostCo battery--no questions asked returns if you don't like it for some reason.
Old 03-30-2004 | 01:03 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Default Re: RedTop Installation

Originally posted by Jordan Lee
Any ideas as to what this other cable is for?
Jordan
Emergency hood lock release. Connects the lock release lever to a cable loop "handle" accessed by removing the left front wheel well liner in case the regular cable should fail.

BTW, depending on build date, there may be a similar release for the engine lid inside the left rear liner. If you don't have it, read Mike Cap's excellent DIY retrofit.
Old 03-30-2004 | 02:19 AM
Jordan Lee
Intermediate

Default Still Learning....

Dan,

It never ceases to amaze me that one can learn something new about this vehicle every day........Thank you.

Regards,

J

Quick Reply: OEM Battery Alternative??