Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Yep, cat bypasses are too loud, what's better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike/mlincoln,

Just a thought...your rationale and your suggestions aren't all that far off - it's your way of communicating them. If you spend a moment thinking about how you communicate you might find that you don't **** people off as much.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by mlincoln
What do you think, Mark?
I think I would be wasting my time by fully responding to your sweeping generalizations (i.e. do you know for a fact that those who have or desire open pipes or cat by-passes are not doing most of their driving on the track? Answer: No, you don't.)
Old 03-27-2004, 12:42 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rick,

Fair enough...I'll try to be more polite (even in the face of ad hominem attacks).

Best, Mike

Hi Mark,

I don't know if they use their cars mostly or exclusively on the track...that's why I asked (in a perhaps too inflammatory way, as Rick points out) in my first post. CMM was polite enough to reply in a civil manner and provide useful information that addresses the question.

How about you? Do you drive with open pipes or a cat bypass on public roads? I don't know...but I suspect many do--and I propose they should not. For that matter, I don't think that Joe six-pack should be allowed to jack up his truck to high heaven and subsequently override my 993 at a red light, thereby increasing my risk of death and injury.

In Germany, a nirvana often cited by some on this list, these sorts of rules are relentlessly enforced. One simply cannot have a cat bypass, loud mufflers, or illegal ride height: if the car even makes it to the yearly inspection without being stopped first and taken off the road toot sweet, it promptly fails and then can't be licensed until the mods are removed. That level of regulation, along with better roads, enforcement of good driving practices (e.g., following too close, hogging the left lane, exceeding posted speeds--all often detected by photo), and exemplary driver training makes Germany a relatively safe place to drive fast in the right place. In the USA, everyone makes their own rules and the result can be dangerous chaos on urban roads, as well as annoyances such as open pipes and "fart can" mufflers tooling through residential neighborhoods (often simply because the owners believe it to be such a cool statement).

--Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 711 Likes on 323 Posts

Mike, What a great time you and your friends (or lack of) must have when you have get togethers, YAWN......
Old 03-27-2004, 02:18 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default ad hominem

Hi Randy,

FWIW, this means "Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives." The sin that Rick politely pointed out that I should avoid. Et tu, Randy?

--Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 02:28 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Makes sense if I was debating you which I am not. Don't take that as agreeing w/ you. Just expressing my opinion of you. You socially inept tard.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well,
I learned a new word today. ad hominem ....looked it up all by myself! Now I just have to figure out how pronounce it.
my next project is too learn Haiku......I wonder how ad hominem could be used in a haiku?.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:41 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default e.g. is not the same as i.e.

Dear Randy,

Dictionary use cases are examples (they are e.g., not i.e.). In other words, another perfectly acceptable example of an ad hominem attack would be "To call someone a boorish, friendless clod instead of engaging him on the merits". Again, et tu?

--Mike

ps--but I was on the State Championship Debate team in Michigan in high school...and there is a certain schadenfreude (you'll have to look that up, I expect) in tweaking the jocks now that life's tables have turned.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Default Re: e.g. is not the same as i.e.

Dear Randy,

Dictionary use cases are examples (they are e.g., not i.e.). In other words, another perfectly acceptable example of an ad hominem attack would be "To call someone a boorish, friendless clod instead of engaging him on the merits". Again, et tu?

--Mike

ps--but I was on the State Championship Debate team in Michigan in high school...and there is a certain schadenfreude (you'll have to look that up, I expect) in tweaking the jocks now that life's tables have turned.
I looked up another word
turns out that schadenfreude was the word of the day 3/10/2000
Old 03-27-2004, 02:59 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default schadenfreude

...and a word any German-car loving driver whose mother was also ethnic German should know! (maiden name Steinemann--she grew up speaking German before learning English in public school)

Best, Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Default Re: schadenfreude

...and a word any German-car loving driver whose mother was also ethnic German should know! (maiden name Steinemann--she grew up speaking German before learning English in public school)

Best, Mike
Mike,
Are you saying we should take a malicious satisfaction in the misfortunes of others, because we love driving german cars? Or we should just know what the word means?
Old 03-27-2004, 03:07 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, the literal meaning in German is "guilty pleasure"...which I used in the sense of taking a "guilty pleasure" in flummoxing the jocks at last. (meaning "confuse" or "perplex").

Best, Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Used without permission from Flying Finn. I thought it particularly fitting for you.
Best,
Randy M
Old 03-27-2004, 03:15 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

How attractive...you new avatar? If you're feeling just a bit too frustrated and inarticulate just now, just drive to the grocery aisle, lie down, and kick your feet and scream...that always works for kinder.

Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Well, the literal meaning in German is "guilty pleasure"...which I used in the sense of taking a "guilty pleasure" in flummoxing the jocks at last. (meaning "confuse" or "perplex").

Best, Mike
ahh I see
thank you for putting the meaning of "flummoxing" it saved me the time of looking it up.

Quick Reply: Yep, cat bypasses are too loud, what's better?