Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yep, cat bypasses are too loud, what's better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:36 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

John D. where are you when we need you. This is starting to sound like the GT2/GT3 forum. John, please, put us out of our misery.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:38 AM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked the sound of Max's maxflows today. I think I'm going to round up a pair and try them out.

Hey Mlincoln... let me know what part of SLC you live in.. next time I'm heading to Star Valley in the Bonanza I'll be sure to drop a little surprise you're way.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:47 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonanzas are cool

What year/model? I have a Grob Twin Astir....
Old 03-28-2004, 02:37 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Good advice

I had a nice PM chat with Red just now, actually. He made a few suggestions that I thought were good ones. I tried to reply to him, but his PM box was full. So here's an extract:

Hi Red,

Naw, no snowboarders allowed at Alta...but allowed at Snowbird, just down canyon. I'm now a bit rusty because its been over 10 years since I skied the Patrol...and the working grind leads to skill atrophy.

You're probably right...I have been as hot-headed as anyone on this thread. By way of explanation, I live in a University neighborhood, and the other night (just the night this thread hit) some idiot in a hot Honda was running up and down my street ad infinitum...and waking up my 8 month old daughter, who was crying incessantly. Hence my initial ad hominem attack (while bouncing her repeatedly on my knee) 'why would one do that...just to make more noise?' I suspect that the average 993 owner is _much_ more responsible than the average "fart can" Honda runner. Occasionally, however, something on the board will get my goat at an inopportune time like that. For example, there was a thread a few months ago about "how can I get out of my ticket for 110+ mph". My secretary was killed by a head on driver doing something like that about 8 years ago...and I flew off the sarcastic handle a bit then too.

<some more stuff I deleted>

I'll take your advice. (which was to buy a membership and offer peace)

Best (meant), Mike

Anyway, Red suggested that on an enthusiast board suggestions to tone down speed, etc would never be warmly embraced by many. Nevertheless, my heartfelt wish is that Porsche drivers would all lead (as many do) in driver responsiblity and safety. A policeman pulled me over for expired plates on the 993 last fall (actually the sticker had just fallen off, and his computer confirmed payment had been made). He said that 'we don't have much trouble with you guys'. I'm glad that's true.

So anyway, I'll promise to be more friendly, and less sarcastic, as long as everyone else can at least listen to an alternative point of view upon occasion, from someone who threw away his radar detector years ago.

Peace (meant), Mike
ps--bought a membership just now...how do I get that to show?
Old 03-28-2004, 02:41 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...Still doesn't show "Member", but maybe the credit card machine has to churn for a few hours....
Old 03-28-2004, 02:42 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I deleted my old messages, good to have some warm feelings coming around. I can understand your hatred for the fart can hondas as I hate them too. It's really the irresponsibility and idiocy of the driver that does it for me. The point being, most Porsche owners with loud exhaust are as considerate as possible in their neighborhood. I try as much as possible to be, anyway.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:52 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a midnight blue 95 similar to yours, Red (mine is a C4)...I really like that color. Do you have the tan interior, or grey?
Old 03-28-2004, 03:06 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Best, Randy
Old 03-28-2004, 03:21 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default As Nancy Reagan always advised

"Just say 'no' to crack" ; )
Old 03-28-2004, 12:18 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Ski patrol at Alta - I ski Alta pretty regularly - good mountain - your athletic ability is still weak grasshopper. Now that you have made a few references to my intelligence, I think its time to put up or shut up sh$%tbird. Ready for the Pepsi challenge? Normally I would never "go there" but you are truly the exception. WHat would you like to compare: your MCAT % score to my GRE % score ( oh how about that, someone else with a graduate school degree, yet doesn't need to throw it around in every conversation); how about gross annual income; or better yet how about net worth (to make it even more fun lets not make age a factor - I'm 34). My prediction is that I will embarrass you in each category. I am actually quite surprised that you have gotten me to stoop to this ridiculously low level. This will be my last post to you in the public forum. Reply, don't reply it makes no difference.
Oh yeah sh$%tbird, as far as athletic ability goes: football and wrestling both at the division I collegiate level. How you like them apples herr doctor evil?
To everyone else on this post, I am very sorry to have allowed myself to get tangled up with this a$$hole in such a manner. It is not indicative of why I joined this forum. It will not happen again. Once again, sorry.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:25 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Where's JimBob Jumpback when you need him?? We were talking about grammar and everything......
Old 03-28-2004, 03:32 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Liked the linguistic exercise better too....

I agree with Chris, I liked it better when we were on the topic of grammar and making puns based upon Nancy Reagan quixotic war on drugs...or even better when attempting to seriously discuss the aspects of public responsibility that come up when illegally modifying one's street car...but I realize that there may not be traction for that on a list for car enthusiasts.

As I said last night...peace. Alex actually sent me a PM offering to come out to SLC and box me (!), and that's when I saw things were out of hand. He was so mad...calm down Alex, you're an NCAA champion from what I hear, and Google confirms you are a triathelete of moderate renown. I'm sure you ski well too; although you'll certainly outbox me, I may well out ski you...and definitely out loop you in an airplane...but isn't it great that we're all different.

If anything comes out of the original topic of this thread, I'd like it to be this: Think about the impacts upon others when you modify your auto, whether you are jacking up your truck or making your 993 the loudest, pollutinest (a neologism there...sorry) machine on the planet. You live next to neighbors who don't always share your enthusiasms...we're all different.

Again, I apologize for the biting tone...but I can give verbally as well as I get, without resorting to scatalogic language. I learned this in high school when I was the nurdly weaking. Nevertheless, it was wrong. Perhaps it was also wrong for some people to have no respect for my alternative viewpoint on cars. As I said, I like my Porsche, but threw away my radar detector 10 years ago...too much chirping and no real point to driving fast on urban roads anyway, IMHO.

Sorry, Mike

(and all is forgiven, on my part, Alex...I sent one last sarcastic PM as a parting shot, and probably shouldn't have. Come to the Minster Oktoberfest up I-75 next fall for the 10k race--my family lives there, first farmhouse on the left going west out of town--and we'll have a beer).
Old 03-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Re: Liked the linguistic exercise better too....

Originally posted by mlincoln
Think about the impacts upon others when you modify your auto, whether you are jacking up your truck or making your 993 the loudest, pollutinest (a neologism there...sorry) machine on the planet. You live next to neighbors who don't always share your enthusiasms...we're all different.
Stating the obvious for the sake of entertainment, natch, but Troll Alert!!
Old 03-28-2004, 06:30 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by fbfisher
John D. where are you when we need you. This is starting to sound like the GT2/GT3 forum. John, please, put us out of our misery.
You can say that again!!!!!!!!!!

Ok children... enough already....

The doctor DOES have a very valid point of complaining and certainly he has an absolute right to express his feelings about it. Now he said ,she said lets forget this thread and MOVE on!!!!

Ok... group hug now.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:00 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi DJF1,

I agree, I'm ready to move on...and I've been humming "kumbayah" all afternoon just to get in that mood.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Mark. Please re-read my previous post of apology and take a deep breath.

--Mike

Quick Reply: Yep, cat bypasses are too loud, what's better?