Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yep, cat bypasses are too loud, what's better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004 | 03:32 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by CMMTracknut
Matt I think you are absolutely correct
I always wanted Supercups but now I seem to remember the prev. owner saying they were B&B Flow something
what did you replace them with?

Thanks
B&B Tri-Flow.

Well, those were on my '95 Cab, so in essence I replaced it with a '98 Carrera S. I currently have Supercups on my '98 car, with the stock cats intact. Loud enough for the track, but not too loud for the neighborhood, when / if I drive it on the street.
Old 03-26-2004 | 03:55 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by motion
Gee, I was the lucky recipient of a PM from The Good Doctor, and he even managed to insinuate that my behavior is child-like
He has a habit of doing that (and embarassing the medical profession).
Old 03-26-2004 | 04:05 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Default Re: And the reason to do this is?

Originally posted by mlincoln
1. To annoy one's neighbors or to go deaf oneself?
2. To pollute the already dirty urban air even more?
3. To inflate one's ego ("look at me, hear my mighty car roar")?
4. To raise one's daily driver performance by a staggering 3-6 bhp?
5. All of the above?

Sorry, but it seems reasonable to ask, given that this board periodically flames the heck out of raspy "fart can" Hondas, "inconsiderate drivers" (i.e., cut us off, go too slow for our taste) and etc.

YOU'RE STILL HERE AFTER ALL THIS TIME You and your judgement annoy me to no end. Go inflate your ego on your students. All they can do is grin and bear it. I feel sorry for them.

Last edited by Randy M; 03-26-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2004 | 04:29 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

did someone pee in mlincoln’s Wheaties
Rick, I have already checked into that......seems that there is a waiting list!!
until then.....guess I'll just wait my turn..........."pass the asparagus, please"
Old 03-26-2004 | 04:30 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down

Herr Doktor...... can you smell the burn?
Old 03-26-2004 | 06:13 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have the cat bypass and the Supercup mufflers and no way would I recommend that set up for street use. I drove my race car one time on the street to a shop 15 miles away and was worried the whole time I would get a ticket. Maybe the catbypass with RSR or Maxflo would be better, but I can't see it helping hp or sound. I did this on my track car to get more weight off the back end of the car, but for a street car I just can't see the benefit.
Old 03-26-2004 | 06:51 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default cast bypass pipes

Originally posted by Rick
Alex (akolodesh),
I'd love to hear your car once you get the bypass pipes on – I’m over in Indy and will be coming through Dayton several times in the next few weeks (OVR DE and picking up wheels @ Forgeline). I don't want to turn my car into something that sounds obnoxious but I’d really like to improve the sound; I’ve listened to RSRs & Maxflows alone but they’re not quite the level of improvement I’m looking for.

BTW – did someone pee in mlincoln’s Wheaties or does he just have naturally well-honed communication skills?
Hi Rick,

Come on over!!

I live about 2 miles from Forgeline, so its an easy commute. Unfortunately I won't put the cat bypass pipes on until I get my Forgeline tire rub issue worked out (hopefully next week) but if they are on when you come by you're more than welcome to listen to it and take it for a spin - see how you like the sound. I will let you know as soon as they are put on (I also want to check on the CEL issue since I have a '97). I will have the ecu reprogrammed at the same time to get more bang for the buck.
Old 03-26-2004 | 07:01 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

oh yeah, mlincoln - wow you can really test one's philosophy of pacifism. What a sh$%tbird!!! If your comments weren't so pathetic they would actually be funny (in some demented sort of way I suppose). As this country values a person's 1st ammendment right to expression - go right ahead. It would just be nice if you actually contruibuted to the pot with some membership dollars.
Old 03-26-2004 | 11:41 PM
Benton
Drifting

Who is this mlincoln guy? What are you doing hanging out on a Porsche board if you don't like the SOUND? Man, you are a true party pooper. Boo hoo, my car is loud with supercups. Guess what? I DON'T CARE what you think or anyone else thinks about my car. I didn't put them on my car for other people or to flaunt my ego, I did it for myself because the adrenaline rush of driving my car is amazing, every time I floor it, every minute I am driving, FOR ME. Really, go away because nobody but yourself wants to hear it. On the other hand, I don't see how anyone could live with cat bypasses on the street along with supercups. I'm not complaining though, it sure would be cool to hear and see, just not for me to drive all the time.
Old 03-27-2004 | 12:51 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Let me see...

1. "Red" wants a loud car because he very honestly and explictly admits that he doesn't care about anyone else except himself. He sounds like a undesirable neighbor to me.
2. "Alkolodesh" can't decide whether to type expletives using bad phonetics or simply misspell words unnecessarily in his post...and he didn't offer any rationale.
3. "Motion" clearly didn't answer my PM with anything approaching a rationale for why he feels he needs these (non street legal) accessories.
4. "CMM" has a rationale...and that's what I was interested in hearing. Thanks. I think taking your cat off and running supercups might make sense in a car intended primarily for the track.

Anir can say what he wants about me being an embarrassment to the medical profession (I would be to differ...Anir doesn't know anything about me personally...and I haven't made any ad hominem attacks upon his medical credentials or reputation).

It seems to me that people who post like some guys on this board would be poster children for the stereotypical inconsiderate Porsche owner. You know, the one that regular guys and gals imagine when a Supercup equipped car goes blowing through their neighborhood, passing them with a 30 mph plus differential on an urban expressway or town road, or surging around to the right with a rude blast of throttle and sound because Joe or Jane six pack has committed the inexcusable sin of "going too slow" (at least in that driver's indubitable judgment...which is of course validated by both his expensive car and inflated ego).

It is not a very interesting board if debate only occurs with gonads and not betz cells, Anir. That's why I don't post very often, although I enjoy reading the technical information occasionally.

So here's to thinking instead of simply emoting...if you can handle it!

Best, Mike
Old 03-27-2004 | 01:14 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by max911
"and the reason to do this??"

1. To annoy one's neighbors or to go deaf oneself?
2. To pollute the already dirty urban air even more?
3. To inflate one's ego ("look at me, hear my mighty car roar")?
4. To raise one's daily driver performance by a staggering 3-6 bhp?
5. All of the above?

and the reason for your post Lincoln??

1. To annoy rennlisters?
2. To pollute the thread with your condescending drivel ?
3. To inflate one's ego ?
4. To practice your typing ?
5. All of the above ?

Is dip **** hyphenated ??

max
Good response, Max!

Ahhh, Mike. Charming to the core. Still winning friends and influencing people, I see. Ummm, why are you here?

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-27-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-27-2004 | 01:21 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Actually, Doc, instead of signing your posts with "Best, Mike" why not be honest and sign it "Worst, Mike"?

If you go to the racing and drivers ed board, you'll find a character as objective and well-liked as you. Perhaps you and ColorChange should spawn some sort of love-child to take over the world with your amazing intellect and self-righteousness?

Good times...
Old 03-27-2004 | 01:34 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by motion
...everyone turns their heads when you go by. A little too obnoxious for me.
This from a guy with rainbow hair!
Old 03-27-2004 | 01:36 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by max911
...I have already checked into that......seems that there is a waiting list!!
until then.....guess I'll just wait my turn..........."pass the asparagus, please"

Max, glad to have you back from the GWN

Thanks guys, I needed a good laugh.
Old 03-27-2004 | 02:00 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark et al,

As I said, I the primary reason I participate is that I enjoy reading the technical information. I occasionally feel an obligation to post in order to challenge what I see as untrammeled stupidity and non-critical thinking. For example, I posited a while back that driving "110+ mph" on an urban expressway is an idiocy, although there was (seemingly) little support for that rather obvious conclusion. In this case, I posit that running annoying equipment on street cars could arguably fall into the category of non-critical thinking at the least, or an illegal public nuisance at worst. You may have noticed my postings are otherwise rather parsimonious (ca. 58), but I have also posted specific technical information or repair experiences for members with troubles.

Let me elaborate the rationale for some of my more controversial postings: I believe that someone who doesn't care much about another's rights (e.g., to quiet neighborhoods, orderly and safe traffic, or clean air) should simply have the courage of their pseudo-libertarian convictions and move to their own private domain, where they should build their own roads. In other words, "move to Waco and buy a compound".* However, if they want to use the roads I help pay for, and drive through my neighborhood, or on my commuting route, then I believe they should play by the rules. If these legal rules are arguably flawed or stupid (and some may be), then they should work to change them by making a case that most people--including their non-enthusiast neighbors, coworkers, and citizens--can agree with.

What do you think, Mark?

Best, Mike

ps--no offense to Waco-ites...I like Waco and love the "Czech Stop" in nearby West, Texas.

Quick Reply: Yep, cat bypasses are too loud, what's better?