Clutch/tranny maintenance results

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 01:07 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Clutch/tranny maintenance results

{Just finished changing the transmission oil, and flushed/bled the clutch slave cylinder}

Just got back from my test drive, and WOW! I'm very happy with the improvement. My '96 993 has 45,000 miles, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time it's had this particular maintenance done. The shifting is much smoother now, and the clutch no longer has 1-2" of slop at the top of the pedal travel. It seems easier to engage first gear & roll away from a stop now, to boot.

Thanks, as always to Robin for http://p-car.com/diy/

Oh, and for those interested, I used Castrol synthetic 75w90.
Old 06-11-2001, 10:25 AM
john.rogers
Intermediate

Could you comment on the "degree of difficulty" to perform these tasks and the amount of time required?
Any special tools needed (or recommended)? Seems like one of those weekend (but not all weekend?!?) tasks that can be done in the driveway ... and fun to do.
Thanks
Old 06-11-2001, 11:29 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Robert,
just curious, did you have a problem with your clutch cylinder (noise or operation) prior to flushing it. I had the typical creaking noise and after I flushed, it was smooth as butter. But, like Ray Calvo warned, it was only temp. fix as the creaking noise did come back.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:41 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Degree of difficulty I'd say would be a 4 out of 10.

Main points:

I drove my car up onto four 25# plates so that I could then jack it up a little higher than normal - that definitely helped in working under the car.

You definitely want a 10mm allen socket, rather than trying to use a regular allen wrench, to break loose & torque back down the tranny fill & drain plugs. Ray's got a great suggestion on p-car.com, which is to remove the fill plug *first*. The spec to tighten the plugs back up is 22 pound-feet, and my torque wrench only goes down to 25#. That's close, but I think I may buy a lower-range torque wrench to complement the big one I use on lug nuts.

I found a gadget at O'Reilly's that screws onto the mouth of the 1 quart tranny oil containers; it has a 1/2" diameter opening at the other end for 1/2" I.D. tubing. I liked it for squeeezing four quarts of oil into the tranny once I'd drained out the old. Requires less coordination to use!

I'd want to do the drain/refill on a level surface - not sure if your driveway is level, but something to think about.

I used a pressure bleeder for the slave cylinder flush. Once you've gotten your arm & teeny 7mm wrench up on top of the tranny to break loose the bleed screw, it's very nice to not have to do anything but lie there until clean brake fluid starts flowing.

I just went out in the garage & tried the clutch pedal w/o the engine on. I do still have a squeak @ the slave cylinder. Actually, I even still have free play at the top of the pedal travel! I don't know if it's returned, or if it's different w.
the engine off, or if I was hallucinating before. I'll probably take it out tonight & see if there's any difference.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Robert Henriksen ]
Old 06-12-2001, 10:02 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
I had similar trouble with my slave cylinder. After a thorough bleed, full pedal travel returned, but the slave cyl. still squeeks, and now the clutch pedal feels notchy. Does anyone know if the notchiness is indicative of a bad clutch master cyl.? After talking with the local service manager, he said that they are finding the slave and master to have about the same life span; so since its a relatively cheap part, I think I'm going to replace both when I do it.

David
Old 06-12-2001, 10:30 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David,
I am in the same "boat" as you are. Slave cylinder making alot of noise. this past weekend I relooked at the slave cylinder's position and decided, again, it is too tough of a job to attack while on my back giving its location. this is definately a job for a P car dealer or outside shop with a lift. the clutch master cylinder housing is made of aluminum or other alloy, very light weight and unlike the slave cylinder. Therefore, I cannot imagine the master not having a longer life expectancy. Had a Dodge Daytona and Chevy Camaro both having aluminum brake master cylinders and both lasted over 200,000 miles without problem... I imagine the P car master clutch cylinder should have the same life expectancy but I could be very wrong since the slave cylinder is a problem child with so few miles.

Quick Reply: Clutch/tranny maintenance results