Sponsored by:

Best radar / laser detector for UK

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 02:20 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best radar / laser detector for UK

Want to buy a laser & Radar detector for the UK. The number of traps I have seen recently (white police vans on bridges over motorways)is running at approx one every 2/3 days and last wednesday the police had three static guns set up on a bridge over the M4 between Newbury and swindon and a row of bikes waiting 1/4mile on pulling people over!!! With the speed I drive it is only a matter of time ;-)) unless I get a detector - any experiences of what works best in the UK (and who to buy from)? The recommeded ones from archives etc seem to be the V1 or the Bell 990

Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2001, 02:31 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

John,
I have the Bel 990 and am very happy with it. The laser detection has saved my insurance premium once or twice. I believe that there is a newer model specifically for Europe/UK that you don't need to switch on/off particular bands - the 990 has all the bands but you are supposed to select the ones only used in the UK- personnally I leave them on - I can live with false alarms. There are loads of adverts in the back of EVO etc. I would check before you buy as the law regarding legality of use may change, also don't use it in France as they destroy the units and still fine you.
Regards
Tito
Bel 990
Old 06-09-2001, 04:35 PM
Steve in the UK
Instructor

I too bought a Bel990 and its brilliant at detecting radar. With laser that's a different matter. It does pick it up, but by the time the alarm goes off you've been done. The white vans on bridges use laser so the best form of defence is look way ahead on the road for vehicles parked on bridges. As Tito said our wonderful government are looking to change the law and the units might become illegal. Most units can be discretely mounted so I would suggest that this should not put you off.
Old 06-10-2001, 04:25 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Thanks, Bell 990 it is then . Any thoughts on laser jammers? I know they are illegal (obstructing a policeman etc) but do they work and are they worth extra on top of a Radar detector?
Old 06-11-2001, 04:49 AM
Jimmy
Intermediate

I have the Bel 990 and the Blinder M-10 laser jammer. I am generally happy with the 990 but it gives out too many false alarms that I sometimes simply ignore the warnings. The Blinder is excellent and I think it is the only weapon against laser guns. Get both!
Old 06-11-2001, 05:24 AM
Peter UK
AutoX

Wink

Other BEL units are the 550e and the 855STe, both seem to have very good reviews for use against Gatso, handheld radar, etc.

Q? Will the Blinder M-10 work against the camera's now being installed on the M1, etc that take the car registration and compute average speed? Do these camera's use Laser for illumination ?

Also beware on M25! There are 60 new cameras that start operating on the M25 on Monday 11 June 2001. These are between the A3
and M40. They are digital and linked direct to computer, use no film or flashgun. They can deal with 60,000 tickets EVERY HOUR.

Above from Internet, not so sure its 100%.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:46 AM
Wayne 993TT in France
Intermediate

Also beware on M25! There are 60 new cameras that start operating on the M25 on Monday 11 June 2001. These are between the A3
and M40. They are digital and linked direct to computer, use no film or flashgun. They can deal with 60,000 tickets EVERY HOUR.
Aparently, this story is made up. The technology does exist though, but this particular location and numbers is false.
It will happen though - it won't be too long in the UK when just about every major road will have some form of anti-speeding device.

Speed detection devices are going to be made illegal. The best best is the GPS system thats ben developed (can't remember the make) - this does'nt detect anything but uses a GPS system linked to a computer which has all know locations of camera'a in the UK. Because it does'nt detect the camera's it will escape the new law. Anyhow for all info have a look at:

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/
Old 06-11-2001, 05:57 PM
'95 993
Instructor

They had these speed monitoring cameras on the M1 between wakefield and Leeds last year (gone now) plus they have them on the Nottingham ring road. You what looks like two CCTV cameras side by side but one of them has a head made up from 4 - 6 cones which look a bit like an icing nozzle, However, outside Forfar on the A92 they had a camera on a ploe linked to a radar gun on a trial for about the last three years - I do a lot of miles in 993 (the only option for these cameras is to avoid that stretch of road or slow down as they calaculate your average speed between the cameras
Old 06-12-2001, 07:32 AM
MarkC
Instructor

Wayne's right about the GPS systems, they're legal and warn you of all camera sites as you approach them. They jsut done tell you if they're live or not.
The only one available at the moment is the Morpheous Geodesy. It costs £380 with a £30 per year suscription for updates (done over a phone link). Another couple (Origin Blue)are due to be launch soon so perhaps the price will come down.
I have a LaserEcho 850 laser jammer as I most fear the motorway speedtrap where you're most likely to be exceeding the limit by a significant amount and therefore looking at the worst punishment. It's very discreet and will stop plod getting a speed reading on you as well as warning you that they have aimed at you. I'm not sure about the consequences of getting caught though!
Check www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/frames.htm for information.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:49 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do these lazer jammers work if targeted from both front or rear ??

As you are probably aware there is a great tendancy in the UK now to park a white van somewhere and point these things out the rear doors now, so unless it will work both front & back, you still need to keep a watch out.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:07 AM
Stuart Ross UK 1996 C4
Advanced

GPS Speedtrap Detectors

I have been using the Morpheous Geodesy since its launch about 12 months ago, and will say without reservation that its worth every last penny.

It can be configured to provide anything upto 10 miles warning (I run mine on the standard 3/4 mile which is about right).

Obviously it will not detect the mobile traps, but what it does do is stop you having to worry about all the fixed location traps and leaves you free to keep your eye on the mobile ones.

You also don't have the problem of being told you have just been done, which seems to be the problem with Radar detectors.

I have yet to find a fixed location trap that it does not know about. All you have to do is plug it into the phone line once in a while to receive all the latest updates.

I never travel without it...

Kindest Regards

Stuart
Old 06-12-2001, 10:34 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Where is the best place to mount the jammer laser heads? I was thinking about the grill below the number plate?
Old 06-12-2001, 10:49 AM
MarkC
Instructor

John W - If you want the jammer to work front and rear you need 2, one mounted on the front of the car and one on the rear. Most laser speed detectors are used by pointing at the front of the car so one covers most situations. Besides you will have passed them so if you've got your wits about you should have spotted them.

John S - The Target LaserEcho 850 is a single self contained unit unlike the Blinder so is easy to mount. Mine is behind the grill just under the front number plate.
Of course the warning unit/buzzer needs to be in the car, preferably on velcro so you can whip it of if you get pulled.

Quick Reply: Best radar / laser detector for UK