Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Can Anyone Recommend a Short Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 04:20 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

The CAE may be a bit hardcore for the street but it is very doable if it fits your style.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,959 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
We originally did have 3 options but after testing, the felt that the difference was so minimal that we could just roll with the two options
In all honesty I like the product, design and quality. I drove a 964 cup car this AM with it setup in short throw vs my other car I have setup in long throw. If you sold a single lever in the middle it would be the perfect product but I don't like either the long or short throw. But that is just my opinion.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:26 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by NB 993
Has anyone done golden rods without the shifter change? I am not sure it can even be done but if it does what can one expect to the way shifting feels? just thinking if one can preserve the stock appearance.
I did golden rod but no short shifter. Love it. I actually don't think the 993 needs a super short throw imo
Old 02-11-2022, 07:22 PM
Rigor
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
We originally did have 3 options but after testing, the felt that the difference was so minimal that we could just roll with the two options
Jeez, what is the fuzz, Numeric is the best shifter I have tried ever, (and I have tried all available shifters, (CAE,Rothsport, etc), if anyone needs a used Rothsport system, got one in perfect cond.
The following users liked this post:
Numeric Racing (03-23-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:58 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Numeric Racing looks a nice piece. Does it eliminate the slide tube and forward rod of the stock shifter?
Old 03-20-2022, 11:36 AM
wesr
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rigor
Numeric Racing, with the OEM RS rod., perfect.
I second this. Just installed the Numeric Racing SSK at the shortest setting and OEM rod (I ordered their Adjustable Golden Rod but it was too short). Their ball bearing design has an amazing feel.

Also like that the short setting increases the shift lever height a bit.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:09 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

What do you mean by it was too short?
Old 03-21-2022, 08:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Numeric Racing looks a nice piece. Does it eliminate the slide tube and forward rod of the stock shifter?
Yes it does eliminate the slide tube and forward rod portions of the factory shifter. I finally got my C2 up and running again and as much as the Numeric is nice I still like the feel of the Rothsport GR setup over the Numeric. Numeric is just far too notchy for my tastes which I believe can be resolved with a middle setting which they do not offer. I may have a numeric for sale in upcoming months.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:38 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 487 Posts

I was going to say, why not just drill a hole between the two settings but I see now that there's no room as they're too close together.

I believe the 3rd hole they actually got rid of was above the other two. That one was comparable to stock (just with the benefits of less slop). The two that remained in the production version are the "short" and "shorter" settings. Doesn't look like there's a way to modify it for a middle ground unless they were to move the second hole up a bit in a future production run and then put a third one between those two.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
I was going to say, why not just drill a hole between the two settings but I see now that there's no room as they're too close together.

I believe the 3rd hole they actually got rid of was above the other two. That one was comparable to stock (just with the benefits of less slop). The two that remained in the production version are the "short" and "shorter" settings. Doesn't look like there's a way to modify it for a middle ground unless they were to move the second hole up a bit in a future production run and then put a third one between those two.
No but it would be nice as by design they could offer different shift forks with different settings. For me a hole in between the two would be perfect but i see it can't be done. I don't like or see the need for the shortest setting. I would happily pay for an updated part with a single hole in the place inbetween the other two.
LVMTB (08-11-2023)
Old 03-21-2022, 12:19 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
No but it would be nice as by design they could offer different shift forks with different settings. For me a hole in between the two would be perfect but i see it can't be done. I don't like or see the need for the shortest setting. I would happily pay for an updated part with a single hole in the place inbetween the other two.
You can always request an un-drilled piece and have your local machinist drill it.

I am on the sidelines hoping for a gen-2 with taller options. That alone may solve the too short throw issues since the taller it gets the further the **** moves.
993.Coupe (03-23-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 05:25 PM
wesr
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
What do you mean by it was too short?
When fully extended the adjustable rod was shorter than the stock one. The adjustable rod was slightly bent on the transmission side (since it’s two pieces), which I wasn’t sure is normal? The stock one is straight.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:35 AM
vancouver z
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default FD short shift and goldenrod install

Originally Posted by Cupcar
One thing I feel is helpful is to follow the FD Motorsports advice and replace the two slide tube support bushings they sell. My car had a very sloppy shifter at first and on inspection I found one of the metal rings to have fallen out with age. See photo, shamelessly stolen from FD Motorsports website.

Also there are 6 small plastic bushings inside the shifter itself that are easy to replace, part Nr. 999.924.002.40 and 4 plastic bearings for the main tube part Nr. 964.424.115.00

Did you add grease to the post before sliding the fork and traveller onto it?
I found nylon bushings in the fork where it slides onto the post, but Darin's instructions say be careful of the rubber 0-rings. i didnt have any. did you and where were they?
thanks for any help you folks can provide.
M. Schneider (07-23-2023)
Old 12-30-2022, 02:11 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vancouver z
Did you add grease to the post before sliding the fork and traveller onto it?
I found nylon bushings in the fork where it slides onto the post, but Darin's instructions say be careful of the rubber 0-rings. i didnt have any. did you and where were they?
thanks for any help you folks can provide.
I don't recall any "O" rings like the usual ones made of an elastomer like Buna N or Viton.
There are large plastic rings inside the aluminum trolley that slide on the main tube, maybe that is what they are referring to?
I put a light coating of grease on anything that pivoted or slid as the shifter worked.
I used a white lithium bicycle grease from Campagnolo that worked well but any grease will work I think.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:00 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Can someone confirm the stock appearance is maintained after installing the FD SSK and GR? I want to keep stock shifter **** and boot. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Can Anyone Recommend a Short Shift Kit