Sponsored by:

Preserving Motronic ECU OBDII Settings Upon Battery Disconnection

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Preserving Motronic ECU OBDII Settings Upon Battery Disconnection

I hate doing the OBDII Drive Cycle. Doubly so, because I have a 1996 car, and the Drive Cycle requires at least two cold starts.

Anyways, at some point in the future, I will have the change the battery, and I would like to avoid having to do the drive cycle all over again. Has anyone successfully temporarily hooked up the car to 12v through the cigarette lighter while changing batteries such that the OBDII settings were not lost?

I use a 1.25amp Deltran Battery tender to maintain my battery, but I do not know if this would work upon battery disconnection to maintain the OBDII settings. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:10 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
I hate doing the OBDII Drive Cycle. Doubly so, because I have a 1996 car, and the Drive Cycle requires at least two cold starts.

Anyways, at some point in the future, I will have the change the battery, and I would like to avoid having to do the drive cycle all over again. Has anyone successfully temporarily hooked up the car to 12v through the cigarette lighter while changing batteries such that the OBDII settings were not lost?

I use a 1.25amp Deltran Battery tender to maintain my battery, but I do not know if this would work upon battery disconnection to maintain the OBDII settings. Thanks.
A more reliable approach (the tender may switch off when it doesn't see 12V) is to just connect a jumper battery, e.g. common 12V battery,
across the vehicle's battery cables and then replace the original battery.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
A more reliable approach (the tender may switch off when it doesn't see 12V) is to just connect a jumper battery, e.g. common 12V battery,
across the vehicle's battery cables and then replace the original battery.
Thanks! I didn’t think of the possibility that the tender would switch off. I will try your approach with a low-current 12v source.... like a bench-top 2amp 12 volt power supply
Old 09-02-2020, 02:32 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Not sure a tender will work as it is not a highly regulated power supply or noise filtered and attached to an electrical system w/o a battery may damage things. I seem to recall folks would attach a 9-volt transistor battery into the cigarette lighter to hold settings for a very short while however, I question its fractional amp-hour rating is up to the job. One of our electrical engineers here can probably do the calculation for us. Never tried it myself.
Attaching a 12-volt battery or a series of batteries that add up to 12 volts with a little more amp-hour capacity will probably work.
Could be one of those lithium-Ion Jump-Start units or simply a series of eight 1.5 volt AA, C or D cells would do the trick. Line 'em up in a paper tube and attach wires on the ends and you're probably good to go! You could get fancy and purchase some PVC conduit at The Home Depot and make a proper battery holder the length of 8 cells or buy some battery holders on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-New-Plas...MAAOSwZbJe40EX

I smell a DIY project coming on!
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 09-02-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:26 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

My battery maintainer has been used to keep the bus hot many times with the battery out. It’ll work fine for you. Will trip on internal overload if you start putting load on the bus like a trunk light. Resets when the overload link cools.

Male sure all your courtesy lights are off that’s all you have to do. And of course don’t turn the radio on or open glovebox, that sort of thing. It doesn’t take much to trip the maintainer and then you’re back to your original problem.

Last edited by mike cap; 09-02-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:02 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Not sure a tender will work as it is not a highly regulated power supply or noise filtered and attached to an electrical system w/o a battery may damage things. I seem to recall folks would attach a 9-volt transistor battery into the cigarette lighter to hold settings for a very short while however, I question its fractional amp-hour rating is up to the job. One of our electrical engineers here can probably do the calculation for us. Never tried it myself.
Attaching a 12-volt battery or a series of batteries that add up to 12 volts with a little more amp-hour capacity will probably work.
Could be one of those lithium-Ion Jump-Start units or simply a series of eight 1.5 volt AA, C or D cells would do the trick. Line 'em up in a paper tube and attach wires on the ends and you're probably good to go! You could get fancy and purchase some PVC conduit at The Home Depot and make a proper battery holder the length of 8 cells or buy some battery holders on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-New-Plas...MAAOSwZbJe40EX

I smell a DIY project coming on!
Andy

Good call on the DIY project! A 9V battery is lame. I just built a memory maintainer using the plethora of Ryobi Tool batteries that I have.

Parts required:Solder it up, and now you have tons and tons of 12V power for saving your car's ECU / memory settings! You could make whatever cable harness you want to interface with your car --- OBD2, cigarette lighter, etc.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:02 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Or this. Very helpful for a lot of service tasks.

Amazon Amazon

$18.00
Old 10-08-2020, 12:31 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911BOSS

https://www.amazon.com/VSTM-Emergenc...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

$18.00
Yes but this solution requires another 12v power source at the ready....
Old 10-09-2020, 11:49 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 411 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 911BOSS

https://www.amazon.com/VSTM-Emergenc...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

$18.00
With another car nearby, good solution - built in fuse, 3 meter cable to either a battery or cigarette lighter.

Quick Reply: Preserving Motronic ECU OBDII Settings Upon Battery Disconnection