Sponsored by:

Any solutions? Too tall/big to easily get in the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 04:19 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
I'm 6'2" and over 200 and can get in and out easily, as long as I can open the door all the way. I do move the seat all the way back first. Sit on the seat sideways and then rotate in. Seat mounting frame is not moved back.

If you have ever tried to get in n out of Lotus Exige Coupe you would think the 993 is a piece of cake.

The QR hub looks interesting.
Gave it a try... can't help but leg has to cram against steering wheel to get by.
Tried sticking my leg in first, but again, the wheel blocks it.

Def going to figure out a hub adapter, plus quick release (and poss spacer if the new wheel is not dished).

Another problem I'm having is the RENNLINE footrest on the left interferes with my clutch foot. Going to have to remove and modify it. And I'm only a size 13.

I thought Germen were big brutes, but then again, the war did decimate the type of men who would be soldiers....like with the Brits. Damn wars...and me, a retired Army guy.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:22 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by il pirata

If you have ever tried to get in n out of Lotus Exige Coupe you would think the 993 is a piece of cake.
Yah, I backed out of buying an MGA coupe as well as a 72 Europa due to fitment problems.
Looks like I'll soon be relegated to minivans and SUVs, huh.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:29 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Do you get in 1 leg first or but first ?

Last edited by scootr; 10-06-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Anyone who's thinking of a quick release hub should have a very strict, "pre-flight" protocol set in place to ensure that the hub is correctly fastened each and every time one takes a drive; I recall two occasions when drivers on track forgot to check and lost control of their cars. Not pretty and just slightly worse than forgetting to install hood pins.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:07 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by scootr
Do you get in 1 leg first or but first ?
Tried one leg in first, but couldn't slip it past the wheel.
Now using butt first, then R leg, which has to cram under the wheel. Need that wheel to be up about 2".
Going to have to figure out the angle to calculate what 2" vertical will be.

Already more complicated than necessary!
Maybe the engine will blow, and then, problem solved, huh.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:13 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

I had a raid/atiwe wheel with an approximately 2" spacer. I decided to go back to stock as getting in is not an issue for me, but this setup might work well for you and it looks good. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:20 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 283 Posts

OP - you must have extremely long legs... I'm 6'5" / 240 and don't have any issues with the *** first, legs in method. Luckily for me I'm equally proportioned legs to torso.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:59 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by Nurburger
OP - you must have extremely long legs... I'm 6'5" / 240 and don't have any issues with the *** first, legs in method. Luckily for me I'm equally proportioned legs to torso.
yah, figgered there'd be someone who wonders whaddami talking about....
I must have disproportionate body:legs ratio. Regardless, it is what it is, huh.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:06 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I had a raid/atiwe wheel with an approximately 2" spacer. I decided to go back to stock as getting in is not an issue for me, but this setup might work well for you and it looks good. Let me know if you are interested.
PM sent
Old 10-07-2020, 12:06 PM
StevenGilroy
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm 6'5" and 240pounds with a 36" inseam and find the 993 to be a fairly easy to get in and out. The suggestion about Yoga would be the cheapest and healthiest solution, being flexible does help. At 72, I don't bend the same as I did when I was 20, but still fit in my 356A that I have been driving for 52 years, fortunately there is no console to restrict the gymnastics required. I too have a '66 Mustang and it has about the same leg room as a 993, but the 993 is much lower so it's getting into standing position that is tougher. My 968 is a much better fit, wider doors, lots more legroom and wider seating area, my choice for long trips, but need to downsize so now it's going up for sale.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:16 PM
stasha
Racer

Wink

Originally Posted by StevenGilroy
I'm 6'5" and 240pounds with a 36" inseam and find the 993 to be a fairly easy to get in and out. The suggestion about Yoga would be the cheapest and healthiest solution, being flexible does help. At 72, I don't bend the same as I did when I was 20, but still fit in my 356A that I have been driving for 52 years, fortunately there is no console to restrict the gymnastics required. I too have a '66 Mustang and it has about the same leg room as a 993, but the 993 is much lower so it's getting into standing position that is tougher. My 968 is a much better fit, wider doors, lots more legroom and wider seating area, my choice for long trips, but need to downsize so now it's going up for sale.
I guess the problem is that I am me, and need to solve this for my particular physical state.

Yoga, ...and don't forget green smoothies, megadoses of Vitamin C, meditation, Jane Fonda workouts, and the Miami diet
That should trim me down and flexible-ize me.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:30 PM
StevenGilroy
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I had to fix my physical shape, after knee surgery, none of the fad diets, herbs or other medicinal additives, just stretching mostly. Yoga once or twice a week, gets me flexible to enjoy doing things again. I was going to a studio up until March, but they have a Zoom class and videos that are almost as good, but really did enjoy getting out and being social, and yoga pants on some of the group was a nice perk.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:53 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 567 Posts

I’m surprised you have this issue at your relatively small size (I’m 6’6” and 230lbs).

Anyway- I have the same issue and what I have found to work is two things:
1) I remounted the driver seat rails back to the more rearward pre-drilled mounting holes. This probably buys you 1.5” more legroom or so and is critical for tall people
2) I enter the cabin differently than any of my other cars- I slide my right leg in with my left foot in the left side of the footwell and twist my leg so that my right knee passes under the steering wheel and is on the right of the wheel touching the console before I sit down. If I try to sit down normally where both knees are left of the wheel and I then try to swing my right knee under the wheel (what I do in any other car) I can’t swing my leg and I have to start over. I’ve gotten used to it. Not a big deal IMO

Last edited by RudyP; 10-07-2020 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 01:01 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by RudyP
I’m surprised you have this issue at your relatively small size (I’m 6’6” and 230lbs).

Anyway- I have the same issue and what I have found to work is two things:
1) I remounted the driver seat rails back to the more rearward pre-drilled mounting holes. This probably buys you 1.5” more legroom or so and is critical for tall people
2) I enter the cabin differently than any of my other cars- I slide my right leg in with my left foot in the left side of the footwell and twist my leg so that my right knee passes under the steering wheel and is on the right of the wheel touching the console before I sit down. If I try to sit down normally where both knees are left of the wheel and I then try to swing my right knee under the wheel (what I do in any other car) I can’t swing my leg and I have to start over. I’ve gotten used to it. Not a big deal IMO
Likewise, surprised you do not call it a problem.
I'll try your method, although I am already 51% committed to altering the steering wheel again. Have done it often enough, but, still, it's a pain.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:24 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by stasha
Likewise, surprised you do not call it a problem.
I'll try your method, although I am already 51% committed to altering the steering wheel again. Have done it often enough, but, still, it's a pain.
Well, I've just gotten used to it I guess and kind of consider it a charming quirk of the 993...

Part of it is probably that, at my size and with my interests/passions in sports cars and flying airplanes, I have a very different perspective on fit and comfort than most. I'm willing to spend hours in a cockpit where my head touches the headliner and my knees are against the panel because it's the right airplane for me and there is nothing I can do about my size or the design of the airplane. A more normal sized person similarly wedged in would consider it unacceptable because they just don't need to make those sacrifices - plenty of other choices for them where there can be all this extra air around their body parts...

Quick Reply: Any solutions? Too tall/big to easily get in the car