Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: ship or drive your 993?
Ship
12.68%
Drive
87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

ship or drive? (and extended driving Q)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:16 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MrCanuck
wow.
15 to zip so far... I thought "drive it" would win, but not that overwhelmingly.

I gotta admit, I'm starting to think of what I can do to the car with the $1000 or so saved by not shipping it.

My only worry is a freak snowstorm in mid April wreaking havoc with my Potenza S02A summer tires... ending up in the ditch wouldn't be fun!

how about investing in a set of chains/cables to put over the tires in case of emergency??????? I actually did this in colorado for the rental car on a ski outting.. bought a set of chains that I used for 20 miles.. worth every penny of that $40 at the gas station!!! ..and no damage to the car.. got the proper size, etc.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, same here. I often use the "people mover" for short trips. The 993 gets the nod for EVERY trip of any length. On a long trip the fun never stops that way.

Bill
Old 03-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTEAs for the main question, yes I would turn it into a roadtrip of a lifetime if you could. Stop along the way at everything you ever wanted to see. If you don't want to do the driving, I'll do it for you! Can't be fairer than that
[/B][/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Take 5 or 6 days, travel to nice spots and you will arrive relaxed and rejuvenated in your new home. Total cost prob will not exceed $2000 either.

BTW, in Europe, many 993 are daily drivers and have far in excess of 100k miles. Our 993RS only has 24k though
Old 03-19-2004, 06:11 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought mine in Vegas and drove it back last summer. I will never forget it. This is my first 911 after wanting one for years and the whole trip I was giddy (for lack of a better term) the whole time (still am).

I could write up a whole story on it, but in short there is no way I could have flown out there and checked the car out and then flown back...and then wait for the car to arrive. That and I knew I would be able to hit some high speeds in the desert that I would not be able to hit around here or even on a track. 160.5 in Texas on an empty Interstate at 7:00 am (cool temps). I have driven 140 on the track quite a few times, but not much faster than that. I told myself that I would only look down at the speedo when I ran out of *****. I looked down and the needle was just over 160.

For any of you looking to lecture me on speeding, please save it. That was a one time thing and I seriously doubt my car will ever be in the desert again. I am glad I did it, it was a rush, but much prefer track time to high speed runs.

So my vote is to drive it. It will probably something you can look back on fondly in 30 years. Just bring a camera, I wish I would have.....
Old 03-19-2004, 06:31 AM
SLVR
Pro

Drove mine from Denver to DC via Chicago (1750 miles). The car never blinked, the oil level didn't change. It was a gorgeous experince apart from the fact that you have to go so slow!!

This morning picked up the TT from the dealer (who did an official €500 rear foglight install to get thru the TÜV) and I can't get the grin off my face after blasting to the office at 100MPH on the Autobahn....

My vote: DRIVE!
Old 03-19-2004, 06:34 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Drive.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:25 AM
James Shunt
Intermediate

I vote that you don't drive it.

Just over ten years ago I spent 10 days driving from SF to NY via Chicago and Detroit in various cars - from a very old Oldsmobile which had a puncture and had to cover the final 1200 miles on a spacesaver spare, to a brand-new Cherokee Special Edition which wasn't so new by the time I'd dropped it off - and the whole thing was fantastic. I can't imagine how much better it would be to do it in a 993, especially if you can turn it into a holiday and sightseeing trip.

OK, I'm actually voting that you do drive it.

James
Old 03-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Drive it and enjoy it - it's no worse than atrip to the South of France or Le Mans for those of us in the sunny UK.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-19-2004, 02:04 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

max911: I'm headed to Calgary.. thus my concerns about the (probably small) chance of getting a snowy dump in the middle of April.

ceboyd: chains on a 911??? You've got to be kidding! I've heard they can completely wreck a wheel, even if installed properly. While driving to Tahoe once I saw them on a non p-car and they were hitting the wheel well each time it rotated. yikes. Now obviously they weren't installed properly (and the driver was a complete moron for not stopping) but I cringe at the idea of using chains on my wheels.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:19 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

I was wondering if crossing the Rockie Mountains was involved !!

Even if there is no snow, there is a chance of a lot of sand and salt on the roads. It all depends how long it has been since the last snowfall.

I would still do the drive up the coast.... and try to time the mountain driving with the road conditions
Old 03-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW

When and where do you intend to drive the 1500 miles you are "saving" by shipping the car? You bought the car because it gives you a grin when you drive it. SO DRIVE IT. Not to get philosophical, but tomorrow is promised to no man. You may NEVER get a chance to drive those miles in the future. I am absolutely sure that if your car is running properly, you buy decent gas, watch the oil level, you can drive that car just about nonstop for as long as you want. It's not a 1956 Beetle.

Cheers,
Old 03-19-2004, 03:06 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

i did the trek through colorado (early december) there was some snow but no chains needed... although i was amazed how well the car ran in super-cold weather (below 0 nights & the 993 started right up in the am!). really had to watch out for ice though... but all was cool/cold. planning on picking up my next 993 across the state & doing it again!!!--- for me it was soooo sweet... & what better place to get to know a new car, than on the road? just 'imho'...

Old 03-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

Calgary Weather

MrCanuck, you are right to worry about a snow flurry mid April. I encountered one last year, May 7th on arrival at Calgary airport. Even though it dumped about 3" overnight, the roads were well cleared, and the rental Taurus handled it just fine. I would be more concerned about snow getting to Calgary, depending which route you take. Whatever you do, no chains on a 993.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Pete K
Pro

Mid April I think I would go ahead and risk it. I bought mine in LA and drove it back to seattle up the coast. Awesome trip.

That being said, I-15 is really pretty boring with exception of a couple of spots.

Cost - $2k is a lot of cash, but then on top of that you need to add airline tickets, so add what? another $600 for that?

If you do decide to drive, lunch is on me as you go through Las Vegas.

Pete

Edit -
PS. Here's another thought, drive it here, we can then load it in my trailer and I'll charge you a lot less than $2000 bucks.

Anyone need a car towed from Calgary to Las Vegas?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Drive it! This car thrives on road trips, and the seats are very comfortable. We took ours to the Parade in Boise, via Jackson Hole. It was great. Expect a big drop in the oil level the first day, and no more after that. Don't know why, but it happens, so just carry 2 quarts.

Quick Reply: ship or drive? (and extended driving Q)