Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: ship or drive your 993?
Ship
12.68%
Drive
87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

ship or drive? (and extended driving Q)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 10:39 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya Gotta drive it! In '72 I was transferred from Las Vagas to Miami and drove my '71 911T cross country,,,what a blast, especially when I had to out run a tornado on the Texas/Louisiana border....Geez that car was fast.
Fourteen months later was transferred from Miami to Fort Wayne, Indiana, made the trip with my 2 year old son in a day and a half,,, was also a blast,,
Old 03-21-2004, 01:18 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I voted to ship, But I did not realize it was your car.
A new purchase I would ship. My car I would drive to
Viper Bobs!! or anywhere else!!
Old 03-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Todd P
Advanced

I just went through the same thing. I tried to arrange shipment of my 993 from VA to Omaha , NE. After being jerked around by a couple of shipping companies. I decided to drive it myself.

Needless to say the drive was a blast!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:17 AM
RRLOwen
Instructor

MrCanuck: Check your mailbox.

ROwen
Old 03-22-2004, 06:05 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

drive it. see the world through the window of a porsche.. experience the open road and take the road less traveled.

hell.. i drove 6k in the official nine dozen last summer on one road trip alone.. columbus, to santa barbra and back, on a 3 week trip.. they dont call me the Leader of Youthful Indiscretion for "HWFM" Racing for nothin!
(btw.. took me only 5 days to get to sb from columbus. the return trip was 5 days as well... you can do 1500 in 2 days easy.. 1 day pushing it. the longest i went in one day on the trip was about 1k). you will see some of the most beautiful scenery if you take b-routes rather than freeways.

check out the link in my sig. to see pics from the great road trip.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:15 AM
Forever993
Advanced

I'm the guy Chris (CEBOYD) referred to....buying my car off of Ebay in Marina Del Ray and driving it home to Chicago. It was damn near a religious experience. I drove alone for 2200 miles leaving Friday at 1PM and got home on Sunday afternoon. 5 hours sleep each night. I can't tell you how much fun it was. I love the southwest and the open road. The 993 is such a great highway hauler. Not any more though, it's set up for the track and lifts a front wheel when I go up and down driveways! Althought, at highway speed on blacktop it's still not that bad.
Given the choice I would drive come hell or highwater. O.K. maybe not highwater. Don't worry about overheating. I watched the oil level guage as the thermostat for the oil cooler opened and closed, which means it was no where near overheating if the thermostat closed and didn't want more cooling. I was running until the tank was almost empty, tank after tank.
You only live once, enjoy your toys.
P.S. I'm biased. I love to drive. Chris and I did a three week vacation, went to Alaska and all over, 11,000 miles in 3 weeks. I drove from Boise to Chicago, straight through, 25 hours. Nebraska sucks.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:27 AM
AZ Rich
Intermediate

Just a thought BEFORE you make the trip -

IMHO, it might be good to have a 3M clear-bra type of covering on the hood and front bumper. I drove mine from North Carolina (in just over two days). During that trip, I got some stone chips. I really wish I had the clear bra.

Oh well. Live and learn. Last month the front bumper was resprayed, and the clear bra is being done next week.

Really, PLEASE do it. You won't regret it.

Best of luck and enjoy the trip.

Last edited by AZ Rich; 05-06-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:46 AM
pcar
Rennlist Member

Funny you should ask! I am in the middle of a 4000mile road trip with my new 993. After 2700 miles all I can say this is great!. I have taken back roads from the top of Maine down thru the lower half of the U.S. and as I write this I am waiting out a snow storm in upper Texas. In the morning ...back roads New Mexico, Az and home thru the Desserts of Southern California. By the time I get home should have taken 9 days and who knows how much cash.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:08 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Er, wear & tear?? Are you seriously considering NOT driving a 993 1500 miles because of wear?? Do you drive the car at all in California? If so, I can't see the problem - at some time in the future you will drive this car 1500 miles. 1500 long distance miles will be better than 1500 miles of commuting. I expect a trip through California, Oregon & Washington (assuming you need to go to that side of Canada) will be good for you (lucky sod!!!) and the car.

If you're concerned that the drive may be too stressful, my wife & I will fly over from the UK and drive the car there for you!!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Drive it. I was lucky enough to have our 993 delivered to us from the 120 miles it used to reside. Once delivered to me, I had the harness recall done, new belts installed and bought 2 DME relays as backups. The next thing my wife and I did was to drive it from CT to FL in 23hrs. Put on 15hrs the first day and blew throught he next 8hrs in the am. What a blast. Car needed nothing and just kept asking for more. Stayed 2 days and ripped back home in the same manner. Awesome ride. Go for it, you will be glad you did.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm just back from an 8,500km excursion from one end of Australia and back again..... no question, drive it.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:20 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

WHO RESSURECTED THIS OLD THREAD??!?!?! I read it for like 5 mins before I realized it was old.

Oh it was you Eric, you noob.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Don C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it! I drove my from Denver to So Calif for my pick-up.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

For a minute there I thought MrCanuck was moving back....after his transport debacle moving to Canada.

Glad that's not the case.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCanuck
wow.
15 to zip so far... I thought "drive it" would win, but not that overwhelmingly.

I gotta admit, I'm starting to think of what I can do to the car with the $1000 or so saved by not shipping it.

My only worry is a freak snowstorm in mid April wreaking havoc with my Potenza S02A summer tires... ending up in the ditch wouldn't be fun!
I put my new S02A's in the rain a few weeks ago and thought they handled quite well. I don't think I'd drive though a blizzard unless I was desperate...
As for overheating, you'll be in cold weather throughout and unless something's wrong inside you'd be fine. My vote: enjoy the drive and take a few extra days if you can. Ask yourself if you'll ever get that chance again...
JRG

Quick Reply: ship or drive? (and extended driving Q)