Sponsored by:

My Baby is Back -- Porsche Addiction Syndrome Observed

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking My Baby is Back -- Porsche Addiction Syndrome Observed

Anybody else feel like a kid at Christmas when you are suddenly "reunited" with your car? I haven't seen my 993 since it went into storage last October. Earlier this week I called the shop that stored it for me, and asked that they get it out of their remote storage facility by the end of this week. I figured my buddy and I would pick it up over the weekend.

Then I'm sitting in my home office today, tapping away at a work memo (rennlist 993 board running in the background as always, yes, it is a powerful addiction) when suddenly I hear the unmistakable growl of well-aged RSRs reverberating off my window panes. Turns out the shop, knowing of my recent surgery, decided to deliver my car right to my garage for me, all shined up and ready to go, no charge.

You left coast guys won't get this, and I guess it falls under the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" phenomena, but one of the few benefits of Winter storage is becoming thrilled with the car all over again each Spring. Heck, I haven't even driven it yet and I'm happy; just looking at it back in its proper place in my garage is kinda satisfying.

Next week it goes in for an all new suspension, euro bumper treatment and other goodies. And I am still unsure who will win the tug of war for my dwindling dollars, my wallet or the powerful lure of TPC....

Anyway, will anybody else admit to getting a real kick out of that first bit of "quality time" after not seeing their car for a while, whether it be for Winter storage or any other reason? Or, as my long-suffereing spouse might put it--although perhaps in more colorful terms--is my chronic case of Porsche Addiction Syndrome just skewing my view of reality again?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:13 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,
I have to admit I get a real kick every morning I drive to work. I walk by the covered 993 each morning to get to my Nav and always look back. It looks beautiful, even under the cover.
Addison
Old 03-17-2004, 09:22 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your rites of Spring Bob~!!! I am sure you are in good company of understanding here on the board...I certainly know how ya feel...

I get the occasional guilty pleasure of getting down to Florida to drive the Turbo, but day in and day out, here in New England, the Spring and the First Drive thereof is indeed falling in love all over again...

The West Coasters and Floridians don't know this...its even in the little things...It is impossible to keep a car clean here in MA...damn acid rain. In Florida, the "rain" actually washes the car and a quick drive is all that is needed for a spot free dry...

Bring on the Spring...
Old 03-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Took out the precious one for the first ride.

Couldn't resist.

Had to make a powerslide through that first corner..

Exited with spinning wheels into a outrageous acceleration...

Stop the car right afterwards....

My knees where shaking.....

I'm not cured......

Thought it would go away over the winter.....

No, I still got the Porsche Addiction Syndrome.....

And just like every spring, I have a hard time to focus on work.

Oh precious one, so beautiful... oh precious one...
Old 03-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

About an hour ago I ended a 4 week withdrawal. Re-paint front end due to road rash, wait for paint to cure, apply Clear Armor today. My reward will be at least 700 miles this Sunday meeting up with the SoCal guys in SB. I can only begin to understand the poor winterland people who have to look at so much pent up kinetic energy.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a good thread - now I'm back in Texas I don't have to go through this but my days in Michigan make me empathize with you four seasons guys...and Bob, I'm looking forward to reading of your first drive of '04!
Old 03-17-2004, 10:56 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't mean to rub it in, but us West Coast people can't fathom storing our cars for the winter. It's a balmy 80 degrees today in SF. I will just count my blessings since I can drive my P-car every single day.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My turn!!!! My C4 has been on my lift without a nose for 4 months!! I spend this afternoon putting my new euro turbo nose on. FYI it fits well except the difference in as it relates to plastic innner fender fit. It is a little off but worth the slight gap between rubber and lower part of front valence.

ANYWAY...........I fire up the car and once again marvel at the sound of my new RSRs!!!!!!!!!!!!!what a sweet tune!!!. It starts to snow so I open the windows,,,,,,,,turn on the heat and open the sunroof. The music with the white flakes on the road and coming at me in my headlights is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,,,euphoric!!!!!!!!!!! I drive down to a pub about five miles away on a major road so I get to really here and feel the 993 pass through 3.5k to 6k rpm. Let me tell you,,,,,,,if you have not heard and felt that in a while it is pretty amazing. I sit at the uncrowded bar a get halfway through a Mich/ultra light,,,,,,,,I cannot stand it anymore,,, the keys are burning a hole in my friggin pocket. I am thinking=thank God my wife is in Chi town because she would not be able to deal with my 993 withdrawal episode!!!!!!!!!!
After ten more miles in the driving snow with everything open and the cold wind beating random iceflakes on my big smile lips my newest toy brings me to reality= my new valentine one! Some staty just lit up a pack of two or three 3 miles up the road...lift off,,back to 53 and as he gets closer lights me up too. After a bunch of funny looks as I arrive at my friend's restaurant my rear spoiler after retracting is making a significant "clicking" sound??????? After a bowl of pasta and a few Chiantis it is time to get home. I choose to take back roads home and as I pass through town I hear the ricer before I see it.........he falls in behind me gets way too fkn close especially since there is two inches of snow on the ground=bummer. I run solid for a while around a few corners and get to a 1 mile straight. I nail the accelerator for a few then lift off. Loud honda finally catches me and as I reel him in I blast off into a 60 degree flat snowy corner,,,,,,,,,,,here comes the fun part!!!!! I get my C4 in a nice drift and stay on the gas as I look in my rear view to see lots of wild headlights and a solid "puff/crunch" into a snowbank. NOW THAT IS HOW YOU CELEBRATE St. PADDYS DAY!!!

Oh yea, Here is a link to the Porsche party I had last weekend. Also do not give me any crap about the curtains in my garage!!!!!

http://www.ncr-pca.org/2004/march-social/index.htm
Old 03-17-2004, 11:46 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob D.'s post made me think about how I became completely addicted to golf back in 1998, right before I relocated from NJ to Florida. Now, having lived in FL for the past 5 years, I will admit that there were many times when I hated golf and didn't feel like playing, and I actually thought how nice it would be to not play for a few months and then fall in love with the game all over it again.

I would be just like Bob D. if I still lived up north. I only hope I don't get sick of driving my 993 like I get sick of shanking a 7 iron into the woods.

BTW, having purchased my first Porsche last month after about 20 years of admiring them from a distance, i'm still in that "oh my God I can't believe I have one of these" phases. May there never be a cure for my chronic case of PAS.

Old 03-18-2004, 12:35 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my '89 Landcruiser to work most of the time because of the part of town I work in-not the best. So my car sits for three to five days without being driven. Each time I get back in my C2 and take it for a drive, the smell of the interior, the sound of my TechArt mufflers, give me the same feeling as the first time I fired it up for my drive home from the seller. Excitement, anticipation, and all that other stuff we all feel. This is normal for someone who is COMPLETELY OBSESSED. At least this is the way my wife and children characterize my condition. And I see no end to this obsession for this car. And that's a good thing.

This is too much fun.

Great post-thanks to all.

chuck
Old 03-18-2004, 12:58 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Livefreeanddrive, WHAT A KICK!!!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 04:04 AM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

After reading some of these posts, it just makes me say WOW, I experience the same as you guys. My car sits for weeks sometimes and as soon as i fire her up, it just puts the biggest smile on my face... Its as if its my frist time ever firing her up.
Has anyone thought of the answer that makes us think the way we do about our 993s? I mean it doesnt look anything like a ferrari, it almost feels like a bug with a stronger engine, and the interier hasnt changed since early 80's. Soooo what makes us put a HUGE smile on our faces when we see her sitting in the garage waiting for us?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:27 AM
willisit
Racer

There is definitely something about the baby 911... I don't drive mine every day at the moment (south coast of the UK.. very wet) but I see her everyday and I just love the shape! It's the sort of car that looks great just sitting still.

I can't wait to drive mine!

As for the way she looks and the interior - all that "packaging" on modern sports cars hides the "inner soul". That's my excuse. I'm sticking to it
Old 03-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

I bought my first p-car almost 8 months ago. I still peek in the garage every night before bed to check her out.

Since I got Robin's RSR's and the cup airbox installed a few weeks ago - it's a whole new toy. I can't resist the sound of the machine coming on the cams at about 3,800 rpm... simply amazing! Completely addicted.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:02 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Soon for me too Bob D. Soon for me too...

Quick Reply: My Baby is Back -- Porsche Addiction Syndrome Observed