Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling, am I going to regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 10:01 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been around for a long time and had a nice collection of rare Porsches, I sold them and yes I do regret it, but maybe more so because of the prices they are selling for today. But I moved on and put the money to work in other places.

I honestly think you are asking for advice on this decision in the wrong place. Do you feel that people that currently own 993s are going to tell you to sell it. No offense guys, I love Porsches too.

You need to do what you feel is right, and enjoy what you have. If you feel terrible about selling it in the future, use your money and buy another one to replace, life goes on.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:22 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If you haven't switch to the Classic Car registration ( in CT), FYI , I switched both my 96 and 97 C4S's to classic plate and the town tax drop from $350+ to $16 a year. The annual maintenance costs are now close to "free" :-)

On my '97 garage queen, I added only 8,000 miles in the last 17 years ( bought it with 12K in 2003), and there is zero leaks and zero issues. I exercise it no more than once every 2 months, but bring it up to full temp - 10+ miles / 40 minutes, and in all gears.

If your barn is high enough, you can get 4-post lift that stacks 3 cars on top of each other, so you have plenty more rooms to be a collector in a new level ( pun intended )
Old 07-11-2020, 10:59 AM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

At the risk of piling on, here is my thought: Imagine yourself having sold the car. Live with that thought for a while...a couple of days, a week, 2 weeks, whatever. You will then know in your heart if that decision would be right for you. My wife is an attorney/therapist and she offered this idea to me with significant decisions on the line - e.g., job change, retirement, etc. It works, and if you change your mind, nothing at risk.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:01 AM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

You know.........you can always move it up the road to my garage.......
Old 07-11-2020, 11:03 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

if you want to keep it and you can keep it, then you've answered your own question. i look at selling like this, if you sell at market value and you can buy again at market value, it's not a huge risk. there are more 993s out there. if there is something special about the model or, as you mentioned, there is sentimental value, that's a different variable. i miss some of my cars, but many of those were stepping stones into something a bit more expensive or a house - this happened on 2 occasions. if you 'have always seen yourself as a collector', keep it, drive it enough, and look for #4. once you get to that number, storage and accessibility typically become your issues.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:32 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddster
I have always imagined my self as a collector of cars, I finally am starting to build a nice little collection and feel a little guilty with my 993 sitting still so often. My barn also contains a 2020 m2 as a daily driver and a 2017 corvette grandsport as a track Car / gt cruiser. I am not finding myself driving the 993 and feel a little guilty letting her sit there. The car has always been so reliable, I am afraid things are going to start drying out if it doesn’t get driven enough. The 993 was my first sports car and it has been very sentimental to me. Curious if anyone has been down this road before and regretted it.
Originally Posted by mike cap
Unless you need the green or the space keep it. Last of the breed and irreplaceable. Mine is relegated to garage queen status since I have the 997 to drive - the 993 gets driven enough to ward off any issues. Doesn’t take much. 18 years of ownership.
Originally Posted by Toddster
How often do you think it should be taken out to keep her in good shape?
I've owned dozens of cars -- some pretty rare, some pretty ratty. But, because I lived in San Francisco with, at best, a two-car garage, I cycled through them. Most I don't regret selling but a few I do. The 993 was one of them.

So my advice is the same as Mike's: sell if you need the space or the money. If you don't, don't worry about how often you drive it. It's a car. It will be fine.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:38 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=Novice;16765632]If you haven't switch to the Classic Car registration ( in CT), FYI , I switched both my 96 and 97 C4S's to classic plate and the town tax drop from $350+ to $16 a year. The annual maintenance costs are now close to "free" {/QUOTE]

This ^^^^^ our respective town is aggressive in their tactics to know the current value, one of the happiest days of my life was handing the new reg info at the stroke of 20yrs and start getting the ~$15 dollar tax bill.

all this talk has got me to wanting to go fire up that wide hip wonder and go for a drive myself.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:44 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

[/QUOTE]Been there already, replaced the stock wheels with forgelines when i first got it. I bent a wheel the first day i owned it[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear you are apart of the initiated re the wheels, but they are quite fun to drive on the track.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:49 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

Sell it.
You are considering your car nothing more than a car, so where is the problem selling something you consider just as an object.

Why I say that? Because otherwise you could never think to do it.

This is not going on, this is becoming yourself.

You thought you were a car enthusiast, but now you are realising you aren't, probably you feel there is something more, and of course you start selling the car you use less, but the other 2 will follow.

You will realise what I said when you will understand what is your next play field, I hope for you it is an improvement and not a regression.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 537 Posts

Sell it if you want and buy another if you realize selling was a mistake. It’s really that simple.

My tastes in cars/bikes change all of the time. Sometimes I think I want a dozen toys and other times I ask myself what the point of that is? I don’t sweat it in the least (unless I lose more than a few thousand $) In fact, I like the constant changes.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:57 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 128 Posts

It’s just a car, don’t worry about it. If you sell it and later wish you had one, buy another one.

I’m an old guy, and on my 5th 911 (and my 2nd silver 993 C4), but I probably have too many fun cars at the moment, and might sell a couple. Maybe even the 993.

(I’m thinking a 1997-2001 NSX might be fun to try, and could take the place of two or three of my current cars, but this is subject to change every few minutes.)

And you can obviously ignore the folks who are accusing you of not being a “car enthusiast” if you sell it. Anyone with an M2 and a Corvette is obviously a car enthusiast. (And in fact, you can be a car enthusiast without owning any cars at all!)

Happiness trumps all. If you think you’d be happier without it, sell it and don’t look back.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:24 PM
fastlife23
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt3'er
I sold my '68 912 and regret that. But, it allowed me to by my '79 911SC. Sold that and regret it often. But, it allowed me to buy my 34' sailboat which I sailed from Cyprus to Colombia over the course of about 20 years. Don't regret that. Point is... yes, you'll regret it, but fair winds ahead!
always amazing to hear when someone captains a 34ft vessel across half the world. Very cool
Old 07-12-2020, 04:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

If you had another classic, air-cooled 911, maybe you should sell the 993. Since you don't, I would not if I were you.

Hadn't driven my 993 in about a year until today. Always in a heated and cooled garage and on a battery tender. Started it once or twice since last year, but that's it. No flat-spotting on the Michelin Pilot 4S I have now nor the Michelin MPSCs or Hoosier R6s I used to run. Tires sit on Swisstrax tiles, so maybe that's better than concrete. No leaking engine seals, but they were replaced last year by AOW Speed Shop.The times my other 993 did leak, one drive cured that for at least half a year, IIRC.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:11 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
If you had another classic, air-cooled 911, maybe you should sell the 993. Since you don't, I would not if I were you.

Hadn't driven my 993 in about a year until today. Always in a heated and cooled garage and on a battery tender. Started it once or twice since last year, but that's it. No flat-spotting on the Michelin Pilot 4S I have now nor the Michelin MPSCs or Hoosier R6s I used to run. Tires sit on Swisstrax tiles, so maybe that's better than concrete. No leaking engine seals, but they were replaced last year by AOW Speed Shop. The times my other 993 did leak, one drive cured that for at least half a year, IIRC.
So once again the “garage queen will explode if you don’t drive it” myth is debunked in the real world.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:27 PM
spikej
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're not driving it by choice, there's no reason to keep it unless you're keeping it as a collection.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling, am I going to regret it?