Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling, am I going to regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:48 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 531 Posts

If driving the car is a source of joy, keep it.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:53 PM
Gdub
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Try to stop thinking about selling it for a couple weeks. You may come to change your mind and keep it. Or not. My 2 cents keep it.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:07 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

How are you liking the M2? I have wanted one for some time now (ever since the Comp came out). Seems like a car that has all the theatrics to have fun.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:25 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTEI need to heed my own advice. I have 3 street cars and 2 track cars.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the above as a problem. ;-)

Todd, on a PSA related note. A friend with same car. GS and low miles saw a crack in his rear wheel, seems to be an issue with teh C7s and the wheel set up especially the rears, real wide and low 20 run flats. just passing it along in case you weren't aware.

RE the keep or sell, I get maybe 800 miles on my TT a year and keep the fluids fresh its not going to turn to dust by sitting. This proves the theory, barns should always be built 50% over orig plan.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddster
Not under any pressure to sell it, just felt a little glutinous having 3 sports cars. I am sure I will miss it, if I let it go. It went over night from being my prized possession to number 3 in my little stable of 3. 1st world problems, I think my youngest son would be very disappointed in me if I let her go, he always says it’s the car with the most character
Chances are that you’ll regret it, but I understand the gluttonous feeling. I’ve had and parted with several very cool cars. If a car is with me for 5 years or more, it’s a miracle. Having said that, I am bummed on a regular basis that I sold my 1970 911S (before they were valued). I’ve tried living without a 993, but am now on my 4th. Whenever I don’t have one, I miss the experience. Hopefully 4th time is a charm and I’ve learned something. I probably won’t part with my special 991 either, but (speaking of gluttonous) if I had to trim down my current collection of p-cars, the 993 would be my keeper.

As others have said, if you don’t need the space or the cash, keep it!
Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

How often do you think it should be taken out to keep her in good shape?
Find a 10- to 20-mile loop and do it every other weekend. Twice per month. 30 minutes of joy. Take one of the kids with you.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:12 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

You answered your own question. You fancy yourself a collector and if you sell the 993 that goes out the window . I’ll never sell mine, even if I end up with it sitting there. Right now with two kids and third on the way, i bet mine gets 50 miles a month.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:29 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EDoyle
How are you liking the M2? I have wanted one for some time now (ever since the Comp came out). Seems like a car that has all the theatrics to have fun.
The M2 is really a blast to drive
i am just ready for break in service on Monday so I have yet to open it up full bore yet. It seems to get better everytime I take it out. The one complaint I have that my 911 has over the bmw is the sound. My 911 has stage 3 Fister exhaust and a super charger, the wine of the SC and the growl of the exhaust is just magical, the bmw lacks in this area as stock in a big way. First thing I need to upgrade for sure.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:37 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl2
You answered your own question. You fancy yourself a collector and if you sell the 993 that goes out the window . I’ll never sell mine, even if I end up with it sitting there. Right now with two kids and third on the way, i bet mine gets 50 miles a month.
I have the room for it, And yes I always dreamed of being a collector. A few things that never occurred to me when the 993 was my only car was the braking and suspension, these newer cars are at a whole other level, makes me wonder what could be done to improve those traits. Never saw them as issues before but now it’s dramatic when going from either the vette or bmw to the 993. Never imagined the 993 as a putt around kind of a car.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:37 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

I vote to keep it. I have been on a steady diet of BMW's for 30 years. My last three daily drivers were M3 comp pack cars. They are great cars, wicked fast, handle great..... but they are appliances. No feel in the steering wheel, the 6 speed manuals are just ok, the sound is an embarrassment. The 993 is just class at a completely different level. It's like the Rolex submariner of sports cars. The 993 exhumes character, class and an overall goodness few other automobiles at ANY price point can match.

I honestly am not that guy that worries about what other people think, but I am always amazed by the amount of complements and comments I get when I have the 993 out for a drive. From young kids to much older adults, folks recognize that car as being special. If you truly imagine yourself as a collector of cars.... why would you sell an icon? Everything today is Porsche number next, BMW number next. Trust me on this one.... in 25 years.... you won't have a CLUE where your M2 is. KEEP the Porsche. Put your kids initials on the vanity plate. Stop talking foolish, lol.
The following users liked this post:
rlme36 (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 03:18 AM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I think my youngest son would be very disappointed in me if I let her go, he always says it’s the car with the most character
I think your son is wise beyond his years!
As you've said, you have the room, don't need to sell it and would like to be a collector, I say keep it until any of those change!
Old 07-11-2020, 07:33 AM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

I have always imagined my self as a collector of cars, I finally am starting to build a nice little collection and feel a little guilty with my 993 sitting still so often. My barn also contains a 2020 m2 as a daily driver and a 2017 corvette grandsport as a track Car / gt cruiser. I am not finding myself driving the 993 and feel a little guilty letting her sit there. The car has always been so reliable, I am afraid things are going to start drying out if it doesn’t get driven enough. The 993 was my first sports car and it has been very sentimental to me. Curious if anyone has been down this road before and regretted it.
That you are even thinking about regret before actually offloading the 993 tells us you will regret doing so.
I had a 993 until 2016, then sold it because we ran out of garage space (daughter getting her license and needing a car).
That itch never went away.
On occasion when I see another 993 on the road (and you folks know how rare that is), I found myself stalking it for miles, ways out of the way from my original destination.
Then you go onto forums like these, on a nice spring/autumn morning, reminiscing what the drive could have been...
Finally, broke down and bought another one...
Yeah, that's my story; and will be yours too.

m32 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:30 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Of those you own, the 993 is truly the only "collectible" car in the bunch. The others are nice, fast cars but easily replaced. Grow old with the 993...You won't regret it.
993pbug (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlme36
[QUOTEI need to heed my own advice. I have 3 street cars and 2 track cars.
I don't see the above as a problem. ;-)

Todd, on a PSA related note. A friend with same car. GS and low miles saw a crack in his rear wheel, seems to be an issue with teh C7s and the wheel set up especially the rears, real wide and low 20 run flats. just passing it along in case you weren't aware.

RE the keep or sell, I get maybe 800 miles on my TT a year and keep the fluids fresh its not going to turn to dust by sitting. This proves the theory, barns should always be built 50% over orig plan.[/QUOTE]
Been there already, replaced the stock wheels with forgelines when i first got it. I bent a wheel the first day i owned it
Old 07-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Good advice boys
i am going to stop thinking about this,
in fact my wife needs ice and sugar for a get together this morning, going to take red out for a quick spin and shake off a little dust
mathfuzzy (07-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling, am I going to regret it?