Sponsored by:

993 & Golf Club Bags...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Chuckie T
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 993 & Golf Club Bags...

I've acquired an immense amount of information during my quest for a 993 from the folks on this board, but there is just one issue I haven't resolved. As a single car owner - and avid golfer - I need to get an idea of the ease or difficulty of hauling around a bag. I'm guessing no problem w/ the cabrio (top down), but the coupe (or cabrio top up) seems like a tight fit in the back seat. Any thoughts on this "light" subject?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:44 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My usual method is to remove the woods from my bag and then put the bag in the back with the seats folded down. Then place the woods along the floor of the back area.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:58 AM
adambos
Advanced

I agree with Eric, you need to remove your driver. Everything else fits perfectly in the back seat.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can remove your driver and lay the clubs across the back seats like Eric and adambos suggest and you can get a second set of clubs in the back that way as well. If you are driving to the course by yourself, you can also just lay back the passenger seat and set you clubs in that way as well. I bought a set of the "rubberish" iron covers that use on longer trips to the golf course to avoid hearing the clubs rattle in the back seat.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:44 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

Hopefully you have the Porsche Design set of golf clubs! They make a great compliment to your car and the bag is the best quality I've ever seen.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:39 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 993 & Golf Club Bags...

Originally posted by Chuckie T
...I'm guessing no problem w/ the cabrio (top down), but the coupe (or cabrio top up) seems like a tight fit in the back seat....
Actually US spec cabs have problems with golf clubs - top up or down. The rear seat in a cab (unless you have a Euro model) does not fold down and worse yet, the bracing for the tower used for the 3 point seat belts runs down the middle at an angle. This makes it impossible for a golf bag to be placed on the seats as it will roll forward until it hits the front seats, with one side falling into the rear footwell. I installed a rear seat delete kit in my US spec cab so now I can carry clubs...it also helps if you use a slim style golf bag. My Euro cab does not have the same problem, and in both you still need to remove the woods from the bag.

If you want to carry clubus you need to get a coupe or targa and you can't have GT3 or other fixed back seats. If you get a cab you'll need a RSD kit but if you have fixed back seats you can only get clubs back there when the top is down.

Last edited by David in LA; 03-12-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by adambos
I agree with Eric, you need to remove your driver. Everything else fits perfectly in the back seat.
Wouldn't it be better to remove the passenger?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old 03-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I've tried everything.....IMO all of them are "inconvenient" in the true sense of the word....i could get the bag, barely, under the hood of my old SC beater by removing the driver (no pun here).....but,the wear and tear on it was really starting to take its toll.....the 993 is even worse and there is no way i can get anything but a pair of shoes in the front........with a supple leather interior i find it better to leave the bag at the club .....
Old 03-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is also the Country Club Membership option. That way your clubs stay at the course. This is what I am saving for!!

In the meantime, I have the rubber covers for the irons and I put on the top cover for the bag to further reduce noise. I put them on the passenger seat and seatbelt them in and it works pretty well. Shoes go in the trunk, so I don't have to sell them!!

Good Luck,
Old 03-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

I lay the passenger seat back a bit and put the bag in the front passenger footwell. This also provides pretty good fodder for wisecracks to the valet that unlaods your clubs.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
TRW
Advanced

I have a 1995 coupe and can get my staff bag and my wifes smaller bag in the back. The smaller bag on top of the staff bag. Tight fit but at an angle it works. I don't have to take my driver out either.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmm. Well, I fit *two* bags behind my front seats in my Targa, without removing the woods from the bag, and without lowering the seatbacks. In fact, there's more room if the rear seatbacks are *up*.

Base of bag #1 goes into LR footwell, top of bag #1 in RR qtr window. Base of bag #2 goes into RR footwell, top of bag #2 in LR qtr window. (They criss-cross in the middle.) Sure, it's a tight fit, but I usually don't even have to move my seats up.

No, I'm not 4' tall with 2' shafts on my clubs... I'm 6'3" with regular length shafts on the clubs.

-Chris
Old 03-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Tech-Law
I lay the passenger seat back a bit and put the bag in the front passenger footwell. This also provides pretty good fodder for wisecracks to the valet that unlaods your clubs.
And I don't let the valet take the clubs out of the car (usually they don't want to anyway seeing how they're crammed into the back)!

-Chris
Old 03-12-2004, 04:02 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

You actually let a valet drive your car?
I'll never do that after seeing a valet bring a corvette out of garage too fast onto a street with a deep gutter... SCCCCRAPE!
Old 03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by MrCanuck
You actually let a valet drive your car?
I'll never do that after seeing a valet bring a corvette out of garage too fast onto a street with a deep gutter... SCCCCRAPE!
In my case, no. I was referring to the "valet" who takes the clubs out of your car at the course and gets the cart all set up.

-Chris

Quick Reply: 993 & Golf Club Bags...