993 tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 04:07 AM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 993 tips?

Good to meet you guys.

I recently got hold of a 993 C2 tiptronic (around 25k miles). I am sure these questions has been asked a thousand times,
but I figured I would rather have an up-to-date advices from active forum members.

Here are some questions:

1. The car came with 265 40 18 rear which was rubbing fenders a lot so I changed to 265 35 18 PS4.(front PSS)
The car now drives like front and rear axle have different ideas about cornering. Is this mainly due to difference in tire compounds or alignment issue?
I never had this issue using two different compounds on E92 M3 drift cars so I wonder if the new rear tires just aren't broken in,
or whether it is a peculiarity of being RR layout.

2. On incline, it seems sometimes engine doesn't really want to start, but drives fine once it starts. I have checked battery voltage it was fine.
Is the starter motor a common failure item?

3. I was surprised the transmission responds to button inputs fast for a 23-year-old car. There is, however, a weird half-clutch lockup in 2nd gear whenever I try to accelerate hard in 2nd. This does not happen when I shift near the redline from 1st to 2nd. Is this some programming issue that can be rectified with a flash?

4. Engine oil. M1 0W40 or 5W50?

Pic here.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:23 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 169 Posts

IMHO
a) check the suspension and bushings, alignment is recommended
b) not really clear on that but i would check on your compression rates for the cylinders (was a late issue with my one)
c) sounds really wired, but when was the transmission oil changed the last time, new oil brings often much improvement
d) depending where you're located or of what time in the year your driving, 5-10W50 better, check the search function here, there's a lot more info around

cheers
Old 06-06-2020, 08:23 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Is that the full rootwood interior option?
that costed line $7000 when the car was ordered!
more pics please!
Old 06-06-2020, 08:34 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

No 3 sounds like It is the torque converter locking up. Feels like you have an extra gear between 1st and 2nd. This is normal.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:37 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

2. Maybe a vac leak somewhere. Car doesn’t crank on 2nd crank but takes a while sometimes? But when it’s warm starts quickly.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:51 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Hi S85B50,

1. The car came with 265 40 18 rear which was rubbing fenders a lot so I changed to 265 35 18 PS4.(front PSS)
The car now drives like front and rear axle have different ideas about cornering.

The Tirerack specified tire for a 993 is Front Size:18" 225/40-18 Rear Size:18" 265/35-18
This may have something to do with it.
Also, the 993 needs to be aligned by someone who knows what they are doing as it has what is called a Kinematic toe adjustment on the rear axel that only a very few shops other than a dealer have the special tool to set it and even among those who have the tool fewer know how to use it. If the rear is out of adjustment the car will do just as you describe.
I would get an alignment at a shop or dealer who knows how to align a 993 and see if your problem goes away. If not and your suspension when inspected seems to be in order to put the proper tires on the car and try again.

2. On incline, it seems sometimes engine doesn't really want to start, but drives fine once it starts. I have checked battery voltage it was fine.
Is the starter motor a common failure item?

Replace the DME relay sometimes called the fuel pump relay, a known problem with an internal solder joint can cause intermittent starting problems.
Beyond these new caps/rotors and clean the idle valve on top of the engine can help..

3. I was surprised the transmission responds to button inputs fast for a 23-year-old car. There is, however, a weird half-clutch lockup in 2nd gear whenever I try to accelerate hard in 2nd. This does not happen when I shift near the redline from 1st to 2nd. Is this some programming issue that can be rectified with a flash?
I have no experience with this. I can tell you way back when the 993 was built the only "flashing" one could do in their Porsche involved clothing or more rightly the lack thereof.

4. Engine oil. M1 0W40 or 5W50?
Oil brands and viscosities can be a very contentious subject here on Rennlist so here is what Exxon Mobil says and what I use:
From the Mobil 1 Web site: "Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 viscosity and oil that meets Porsche A40". The manufacturer has factory filled your vehicle with Mobil 1 oil and also endorses Mobil 1 as the service fill oil.

The most important aspect of oil on a 993 is to not inadvertently overfilling it. A common happening with serious consequences. Here is how I change the oil on my 993:
Oil & the 993

Hope this helps,
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 06-06-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:32 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

3 is normal as stated above.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:13 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Regarding 3 - agree with others, this is normal. IMHO, the tiptronic is worthless in auto mode. In auto mode it always starts out in 2nd and shifts way too early. Shift it manually and it will preform much better. I would also dump the tip steering wheel with the buttons on it. They're ugly and it is too easy to hit them by accident and red line the engine. Lastly, IMHO, the shift plate look bad. You can get a shift boot and install it in its place and it looks so much better. The search function will keep you busy for hours. Welcome to the madness.... and please... more photos!

Quick Reply: 993 tips?