Clewett Serpentine Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 07:33 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts
Default Clewett Serpentine Conversion?

All,

Issue: I have a very nice, low miles C4S that I want to use as a DD/road trip car. Reliability is very important to me. I need to be confident in the car if I'm going to use it to go back/forth from Nashville to Atlanta (a twice monthly or more trip for me). Knock on wood - I've put 6K miles on it in a year and have had very few issues since the first couple months of ownership. However it has chewed up belts a couple of times. I had them replaced when I bought the car last March at 28,600 miles, needed new ones at 31,800 miles because they were fraying and then it broke the alternator belt at 34,400 miles. The other two belts looked fine when the alternator one broke. My indy thinks we're good now - shims adjusted, tension, etc - but we'll see. Obviously my hope is that I was just unlucky but I'm trying to think ahead as to what to do if does it again. I want a plan in place if all the dash lights come on again. . .

I've looked at the Clewett site and I like what I see. Appears to be a solid fix and I'm fine with the price. My only concern is that it deviates from my original plan to keep the car mostly stock or at least lightly modded. Mods on the car now are PSS10, RS mounts, FD SSK/GR/muffler, Elephant bushings, Waldemars so I've already kind of slid down the slippery slope.

Questions:
  • Any comments on my belt issue? Am I right that it seems a little worrisome or could it just be bad luck?
  • Is the Clewett as solid a fix as it appears? If I go that way I want to know this issue is fully fixed.
  • How do y'all think the average buyer would react to seeing the Clewett on a used car? As a corollary - is it a fairly easy mod to reverse? Does this even matter since I'm already past the point of it being "stock"!?!
What would you guys do in this case?
Thanks in advance,
Tim

Old 04-04-2020, 08:25 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Tim,
I installed a Clewett serpentine setup in my otherwise-stock 993 five years ago. It is a well thought out, beautifully-machined solution to the archaic v-belt & shims mess. I have zero regrets and could revert back to stock without an issue.

I’ve since installed five more Clewett setups on other 993s. The install involves removing the exhaust & catalytic converters, the crossover pipe, engine carrier, rear tin, crank pulley (obviously), and supporting the engine on stands while the carrier is disconnected. I fabricated a tool to hold the stock pulley while removing the crank bolt, and modified a strap wrench to hold the Clewett crank pulley while tightening the crank bolt. Both tools have made a handful of trips around the country for other installs.

I dealt directly with Richard Clewett when ordering mine and was told that the final alternator drive ratio is between stock and the RS single belt conversion. I’ve had no charging issues whatsoever and would certainly know by now.

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 04-04-2020 at 08:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AOW162435:
EDoyle (04-04-2020), rkwfxd (06-25-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Tim,
I installed a Clewett serpentine setup in my otherwise-stock 993 five years ago. It is a well thought out, beautifully-machined solution to the archaic v-belt & shims mess. I have zero regrets and could revert back to stock without an issue.

I’ve since installed five more Clewett setups on other 993s. The install involves removing the exhaust & catalytic converters, the crossover pipe, engine carrier, rear tin, crank pulley (obviously), and supporting the engine on stands while the carrier is disconnected.

I dealt directly with Richard Clewett when ordering mine and was told that the final alternator drive ratio is between stock and the RS single belt conversion. I’ve had no charging issues whatsoever and would certainly know by now.

Andreas
After throwing some belts similar to tstafford this is on my list of things to do. Love the simplicity and ease of replacement over the stock belt system.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:45 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

What a PITA with belts shredding, sensor wheel disintegrating, shims, and tensioning? I have the Clewett conversion on my 993 and couldn’t be happier. To me it’s a plus! It’s a thing of beauty to look at under the lid. As Andreas mentioned, it’s completely reversible.

The following users liked this post:
EDoyle (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 10:08 AM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a great kit and in the same way an upgraded aftermarket IMS bearing in a 996 doesn't devaluate the car, I don't think this upgrade would on a 993. I had same issue on old car with thrown belts (one even took out alternator and fan $$$). I installed the Clewett kit
kit without issue after that.

I have installed the kit by the top only, without the need to remove engine carrier and exhaust. It's worth mentioning that the belt sensor location on engine case must be filed down flat to install tensioner bracket which means washers might be necessary if bolting back original belt sensor one day. Aside from that everything in reversible.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:13 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by EDoyle
I have installed the kit by the top only, without the need to remove engine carrier and exhaust.

My hands are too big for that.
With everything pulled from below, the typically-wet chain housing covers can be removed and new gaskets installed.

Andreas
Old 04-04-2020, 11:54 AM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The Clewett conversion is certainly a great option; but, the OP's engine must have an underlying problem that is causing premature failure of the drive belts. Assuming that the fan hub bearing and alternator are in good shape, properly tensioned belts should last several years or 10's of thousands of miles.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:45 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My hands are too big for that.
With everything pulled from below, the typically-wet chain housing covers can be removed and new gaskets installed.

Andreas
Andreas,

The pictures posted speak for themselves (lack of leaks) and this is definitely the right way to approach this job. Just throwing it out there to all the hacks like me that you can do the job quick n dirty without opening too large a can of worms.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:30 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Questions:
  • Any comments on my belt issue? Am I right that it seems a little worrisome or could it just be bad luck?
I change the belts about every 15 thousand miles as it is easy to do. Even a slight over tensioning of the alternator belt, the outer one, will shorten its service life considerably. So if your installer uses a tensioning gauge and shims the belt properly, you have the pulley update installed (TSB Below), as most do and you are willing to change the belt every 15K miles or so I see no reason why you can't go with the stock setup. I do keep an extra set of belts and tools in the frunk for safety backup but have never been stranded where I needed to use them.
  • Is the Clewett as solid a fix as it appears? If I go that way I want to know this issue is fully fixed.
For me, the question is more about is it a good value as it is a bit expensive a $615 in parts + at least a couple hours of labor at $120 to $150 hr if not more.
Functionality and durability questions are best answered by those who have been running with it.
  • How do y'all think the average buyer would react to seeing the Clewett on a used car? As a corollary - is it a fairly easy mod to reverse? Does this even matter since I'm already past the point of it being "stock"!?!
I do not think it is of any consequence in terms of selling the car.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
pully update (2).pdf (21.0 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by pp000830; 04-04-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Jbelt01 (03-18-2023)
Old 04-04-2020, 09:14 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
What a PITA with belts shredding, sensor wheel disintegrating, shims, and tensioning? I have the Clewett conversion on my 993 and couldn’t be happier. To me it’s a plus! It’s a thing of beauty to look at under the lid. As Andreas mentioned, it’s completely reversible.

Totally not related to the thread topic... but... looking at your images I realize I don't have the three hexagonal headed screws/bolts that secure the black plastic fan cover to the magnesium fan shroud. Looked it up on PET and they're not listed. Can someone tell me the part number or specification of the screws- M8 or M6 etc. Thank you.

Related to the topic- I installed the Clewett belt conversion during my supercharger conversation - it's been rock solid, sorted the belt alignment issues that plague the TPC kits. No issues with alternator charging properly or dropping of voltage at low revs. Recommended.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:54 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Thanks all. 993 board is always so helpful.

Stay safe/healthy.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

This is a very inexpensive mod: https://www.clewett.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=134

If I ever get back into a 993, it will be OBD I so I can ditch the SAI system, and install the Clewett belt. Great product. My list of things to do:
  • Retain the dual mass flywheel, hate the noise of the RS flywheel clutch upgrade. The 993 RS came with a dual mass, good enough for me.
  • Regear 3rd through 5th,, keep stock 6th for cruising,
  • PSS9/10 system
  • 22mm front 21mm rear bars
  • Tarett drop links
  • 18" MY 2002 wheels
I put $XXX.XX into a 97 Carrera...I had the "fever". I have been cured......now drive a 2015 Cayman S....it's a bit of a contrived car, almost too perfect. I may have to retrogress.
ed devinney (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 09:56 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
This is a very inexpensive mod: https://www.clewett.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=134

If I ever get back into a 993, it will be OBD I so I can ditch the SAI system, and install the Clewett belt. Great product. My list of things to do:
  • Retain the dual mass flywheel, hate the noise of the RS flywheel clutch upgrade. The 993 RS came with a dual mass, good enough for me.
  • PSS9/10 system
  • Tarett drop links
  • 18" MY 2002 wheels
I put $XXX.XX into a 97 Carrera...I had the "fever". I have been cured......now drive a 2015 Cayman S....it's a bit of a contrived car, almost too perfect. I may have to retrogress.
I am with ya! I ditched the SAI this weekend, ordered up the Clewett conversion and installing new clutch with DMF setup. Going for drivability and go anywhere/anytime reliability. If I ever get to my bucket list item next year, I will be driving my 993 cross country from Boston to Monterey for car week. Was thinking this would be the year but COVID 19 is going to push it to next year.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:56 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.

• PSS9/10 system
  • Tarett drop links
  • 18" MY 2002 wheels
Good list. I ditched the SAI system in my OBD2 car with no issues. Also added Clewett belt but I have a single mass flywheel. Can't hear a damn thing over the Fabspeed Supercups.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:53 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Totally not related to the thread topic... but... looking at your images I realize I don't have the three hexagonal headed screws/bolts that secure the black plastic fan cover to the magnesium fan shroud. Looked it up on PET and they're not listed. Can someone tell me the part number or specification of the screws- M8 or M6 etc. Thank you.

Related to the topic- I installed the Clewett belt conversion during my supercharger conversation - it's been rock solid, sorted the belt alignment issues that plague the TPC kits. No issues with alternator charging properly or dropping of voltage at low revs. Recommended.
M6
Meenrod (04-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Clewett Serpentine Conversion?