Baltimore/DC/NoVa Meet and Drive, 10:00 AM, Sunday, March 28

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 10:58 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark -- I'm still getting my thoughts together about the TT. There are so many factors involved in the decision to keep it or sell it. Between work, the crappy DC streets, and other things (newly married, old house that needs work) pulling at my time now and in the near future (plan to start a family soon, anyone have tips on getting the puck past the goalie ), I find that I drive the TT only about two or three times a month. In my early years of owning it, I drove it all the time and everywhere, up and down the East/SouthEast Coasts, which was a blast. I haven't really pushed the car in ages and that just doesn't seem right. If my wife and I are running around, she prefers that I drive our Land Rover DiscoII, finds the TT too jarring, though she loves the speed. So, I'm thinking about pulling something of a two-for-one by selling it, perhaps getting an E46 M3 plus a city runabout car, maybe a Mini. On the other hand, I find that I'm drawn to and can't live without a really hard-edged sports car and of course the pursuit of honing the car just to my tastes is the best part of all, so I may decide that I'd like a NA 993, with loud exhaust (still can't get the sound of Mark's exhaust out of my head), sport seats, ultra lowered, and razar sharp handling that I can exploit more in every day driving. That latter scenario would also be a two-for-one approach that would be accompanied by something like a Mini or maybe even an E36 M3 rather than a new one. So many choices, so few neurons. I'm still deciding. Either way, I won't make a decision before our end-of-the-month drive, so I'll be there.

Rick, I will most defintely want to drive your car, at least briefly, and you can do the same (drive your car, j/k). It should be informative.

Tony, you may not be far off point. I think about the wonderfully balanced 944's quite a bit, and that may end up being one part of the solution to my conundrum above, we'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the bandwidth, and see you folks soon!

Old 03-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts

Sorry Mark - I can't make it............................ NOT! Of course I'll be there. I only emailed you a million times about this day. You can see I don't get out enough, especially in the 993. These short drives to work, 4 miles each way are pretty lame. My car needs to strrrrrrretch

Can't wait to see some old faces, and make some new aquaintenances. The restaurant looks like fun - I LOVE a good burrito. Just had one today!

John in DC - I'm flabbergasted to hear you may be selling your car. I always jokingly said that if you ever sell, CALL ME 1st! Unfortunately, I just bought this

so I can't afford to upgrade to yours now. At least you've had the good fortune to own that car for a long while. Some people never have that experience. You have, and if you have to sell it for the benefit of your family situation, so be it! Family comes first - numero uno. You can always buy something else that's just as nice one day... maybe a 993 TT-S or a used .... (flame suit on).... 04 996 TT. Your wife might like the 996 TT better as it's more comfortable and modern. Plus, they'll depreciate fast when the 997 comes out.

See ya'll soon,
Steve
Old 03-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm in!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

John, just because you drive it less is not a reason for getting rid of it! You should look foward to those times and use them as relaxation and getting away from everything else! I want to drive mine everywhere i go...and then i remember where i am going and where i live. I just dont want to risk my car in sinkholes..err...potholes...insane drivers, etc... There's a reason you virtually NEVER see sports cars in the wheaton area. (sometimes...but but very uncommon)

Are you a PCA member? Our local region has a few events a month usually. Since you only get the car out a few times, why not use these as extra excuses. You also get to have a blast with the people. We have a great local region! (our rallies last year showed me roads i thought were non-existant in MD)

I realize i dont think i could live without a Porsche despite how sporty any car is. I just bought a new GTI, and you can make those fast as crap for cheap. No matter how sporty, nothing beats the feel of a Porsche, you would miss it. I considered the mini, but it didnt have enough space for my stuff. Ive drivn the BMWs as a few people I know have them. All fun...but its not going to replace your car as a toy, or a driver. (they are great to drive if you CANT have a Porsche...both is even better) I wouldnt get rid of it. By the way, if you are concered with insurance, etc... for a car that doesnt get driven much drop me a PM. I just switch my S2 insurance because i was tired of paying on a car that sits and only gets about 2000 miles a year. SAFECO has a special plan for cars like ours, and its dirt cheap! Cheaper than your yearly maintenace!
Old 03-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Tony wrote: "I just dont want to risk my car in sinkholes..err...potholes...insane drivers, etc... There's a reason you virtually NEVER see sports cars in the wheaton area. (sometimes...but but very uncommon)"

Hey - I live in Wheaton Well, Aspen Hill, Md. Same thing. But you're right. I'm like the only Porsche I ever see around here other than this yellow Boxster with the tags "nolemon"! It's definitely the low-brow end of town but I'm in the rare pocket of nice homes that back to woods... I feel blessed - car-wise, home-wise, & friends-wise.

So I guess I'll see you Tony in a few weeks! Interested to hear about how your band is doing.

STeve
Old 03-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

You know what though... there is a beautiful black 968 that lives somewhere in the Langley Park area/ PG ! And the owner actually drives it there! (im in that area more often than ide like!) If i was him, i would definitely rent a storage elsewhere in town to keep my car! Ide be scared to drive it out of my street! And NO ONE has insurance around here! Between the DC drivers, illegal "citizens," and just random uninsured drivers, it really brings "drive at your own risk" to another level. I also dont like the fact that every other car you see down there doesnt use, or has broken headlights/taillights. Combined with the amount of illegal "citizens" that chose to walk in the street and get hit (its a big problem in takoma park/langley) i wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to drive their Porsche!

I cant wait to drive outside of this town!!!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Glad he at least gets that 968 out and drives the thing! Better than to hide it away... though in Langley Park, it'll probably be gone with a year (or 60 seconds, like the movie states). Things have a way of walking off down there.

Here's some silly stuff for ya:

http://www.realcoolcars.com/multdown/cookrice.html

Steve
Old 03-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Oh thats funny Steve! HAHAHAHAHA. I love the sounds the "rice" is making! Real funny!
Old 03-06-2004, 06:38 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Steve, that 740 is very nice. I also prefer that body style of 7 series to the current one. You've done a fairly good job at capturing my thinking about the TT. I've had a ton of fun with it, but I like change and spend so little time in it these days that it makes sense to try something else or at least a different combination of sports car and sedan. Four years is about right for me and then I get a little antsy, though the TT has satisfied me much more deeply than any other ... car ;0. You've met my wife ... she's the sweetest person in the world ... if I become suicidal without the TT, then I'm sure she'll force me to buy one rather than put up with my surliness.

Tony, it's not a money issue, not with two lawyers in the family, it's more a functionality and time issue. BTW, I'm a dual member of the Potomac and Chesapeake PCA regions. I did quite a few autocrosses and DE's with the 944S2 and 951, enjoyed 'em a lot, but I do have some reasonableness limits ... once or twice a month of using a 70 grand car is not a sufficient cost-benefit equation for my sensibilities. It's damn close, though, ha! You mentioned insurance rates, but that's not an issue at all, my insurance rates have been great since I got married and moved out of DC to the Chevy Chase/Bethesda area.

So, right now I'm 50/50 on selling. Even if I do sell, I won't be sports car-less for long, if at all, depending upon what choices I make. I'm just thinking that I may not need so much top end power to enjoy myself on a regular basis around here. I could be wrong, though, in which case I'll be back in TT acquisition mode.

I met a neighbor today who's hiding in his garage a black 96 C4S with a supercharger from TPC, I've seen the car around but didn't realize he lived so close. He's been eyeing my car as well. We vowed to test drive each others' cars. Now that could be just the right project for the future.... choices, choices ...

Looking forward to seeing you knuckleheads at the end of the month.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

I wasnt implying you had any insurance trouble, i dont either. I just didnt like paying period on a car that gets driven so rarely. Basically the rate has dropped to below $400 a year now for me. So with that kinda price, i would take a 993TT and just look at it! HAHA. Yeah, sometimes change is good. Just curiously, have you taken a look at the new Lotus Elise? I bet its a VERY fun car to have around! (and its cheap!)
Old 03-06-2004, 07:07 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yep, the Elise is a sweet car. Despite the claimed 4.8 0-60, not sure I want a Toyota engine.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark, although I'm not fully sure yet, could you get me into your head count for the restaurant reservation. I would love to join you guys on this event.
Thanks
Mike
Old 03-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Hope to be there!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Chris - Hope to see you. Will your son be there?

Pari - Maybe you can hook up with Steve96C4S since he lives in Rockville, too.

Todd - Come on and bring your kick-*** 993 track car out.

Bobby - Was it something I said? j/k. I know you’ve been on a project out west for a while. Sorry you can’t make it.

Forklift - Will I see you at Summit next weekend?

PeterF - It’ll be a ride through the some rock-n-roll road sections that I take I do road rides on. Think “monster downhill”.

John - Do you know how often I drive my 993? Okay, so it’s not as expensive as your hoity-toity TT, but I’m lucky if it sees 30 minutes of street duty per month. I guess that’s what happens when you drive a car that has numbers and stickers all over it and R compound tires that you’re trying not to add another heat cycle to. I truly get my ya-ya’s out on the track and don’t have too much of a desire to take my car out on the road.

I’m glad you liked my exhaust. In reading your post, I dunno, I think you need to revisit the track again and see what your sweet TT is truly capable of. Too many miles on the street has perhaps skewed your perspective and given you the impression that your ride is less than thrilling. Why not come down to VIR and see if your car can hit, I don’t know, 160, 170 mph before you have to brake for Turn 1?

Or, why don’t we trade cars for the day? (Two turbos? Two evil grins.) You said you want to try out a raw NA car. I don’t know if I would call my car raw with its power steering, AC, rubber bushings and non Moton/JRZ suspension, but I guess it’s safe to say it ain’t no Caddy. Wanna? (Wait, I take my offer back. What the hell am I thinking of? I’ve read about too many Rennlisters who have felt the power of the Dark Side, have been inexorably sucked into “Buying A Twin Turbo” and whose wallets suffered immeasurably after the first free hit.

Anyway, I really hope you don’t sell your car. It’ll be a shame to see you leave the fold and to see you on the, oh, Subaru forums (as much as I respect the WRX and STi cars) or the DeLorean Discussion Board.

Steve - See? I told you I was working on it, ye of much worry. I work quietly but I do work. Will you drive your car this time?

Simon - It’s a nice little trek for you. It’ll be great to meet you.

Mike - I hope you can make the trip up!

Pete - Cool! Will you be bring Moose and Rocko, too?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:43 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ahhhhh-this sound like the making of a great great run -

Take pictures, share the fun for those of us that can only wish we were there!!!

Enjoy - see all of you on the next one -

Quick Reply: Baltimore/DC/NoVa Meet and Drive, 10:00 AM, Sunday, March 28