HID or LED Headlight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 05:06 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DocTock993
@mdude Sent you a message with a possible interim solution.
Share the love @DocTock993
The following users liked this post:
DocTock993 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 09:18 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

The advantage of Tore’s HID kit, is there mounting is OEM inside the headlight housing utilizing stock points. Virtually every other HID ballast will be differently shaped, while all will probably fit with in the housing...none will physically mount.

I originally had a DDM set inside, flat square ballast, fitment not an issue.

I have Morimoto HID’s(Retrofit Source) in my daughters car, sizeable half round ballast. Would still fit inside our housing on the 993. The DDM’s were cheap...10years ago, the Morimoto’s priced just below Tore.

Quality comparison Tore to Morimoto....sharper minds than me to know.

Tore’s is absolute plug and play, all others probably not so much.

That being said...Retrofit Source for the Morimoto bi-xenon retrofit kit, and high beam splitter harness, somebodies HID for that bi-xenon, AND somebody’s LED for the high beam. Then go out driving on some pitch black night, and play rally legend trying to out drive your new MASSIVE lighting.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:40 AM
norbtx
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you guys make of carnewal's LED headlight bulb option?

http://www.carnewal.com/products/993...eadlight-Bulbs
Old 05-17-2020, 12:23 PM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I just purchased / had installed Litronics from Suncoast. Their kit includes everything needed. It’s pretty pricey but I like the fact that it’s the factory set up.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:19 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

If Gert says that his LED bulb is legal in the 993, I'd expect it will be.

But my experience:-

Tore's HID kit - I've had it and the same bulbs since erm he first started selling them?
Retrofit Source for the Morimoto projectors and high beam splitter harness.
You can put a dead rat in as a full-beam bulb, you simply don't need it.

Go out in the pitch black and melt some owls in flight.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:38 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Hi. I’m an owner of a 993 with the non hid (ie I don’t have litronic) standard headlight for a 1997 c2s car and was looking to upgrade to the set here. https://www.bergvillfx.com/categorie...kits-and-lamps

I’m pretty confused though about the posts referring to adding morimoto stuff - why are people suggesting that it works best with both. I can’t work out the system being suggested at all. They seem to be same to me so think I’m missing how it is meant to fit together and be a system.

- bergville parts https://www.bergvillfx.com/categorie...kits-and-lamps
- morimito 993 parts https://www.morimotohid.com/buyer-gu...gen_Headlights

Appreciate any guidance re what the kit or parts are needed from morimoto in addition to the bergville hi -low kit. Thanks 😊
Old 03-20-2021, 05:20 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Std set up is halogen bulbs dip and main. Tore's full kit is Hid dip and led main. Morimoto projector replaces the std projector (dip) with a design that can work as both dip and main by mans of a shutter, main bulb can be whatever, but not hid.
The combination of Morimoto projector and Tore's kit gives you a different pattern dip ( flatter wider) and a main beam that stuns bats at 1 mile. It all fits inside the headlamp pod. The morimoto bulb kit is more like the factory litronic being mainly external to the pod ( I can't recommend it)

Last edited by Endoman; 03-20-2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:08 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

I too have Tore's HID low and his LED Hi beam kits with Morimoto projectors installed with the shutter trigger wiring from high beam to make the function as a Bi-Xenon.

Really pretty stunning light output on high beam and a nicely cut off low beam.

All plug and play with the kit's included parts, but I fabricated a harness that simplified wiring connections to make things neater.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:52 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

thanks cupcar - so are you saying you bought the tore kit, but didn’t fit the tore bulbs it came with but swapped them for the morimoto bulbs and some sort of shutter system?

Secondly - has anyone just added the kit from tore (hi and low) but not the morimoto aspect , and found it ready good enough? I’m not wanting to fuss around making anything - plug and play that is tried, tested and trouble free but works is my goal?

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I too have Tore's HID low and his LED Hi beam kits with Morimoto projectors installed with the shutter trigger wiring from high beam to make the function as a Bi-Xenon.

Really pretty stunning light output on high beam and a nicely cut off low beam.

All plug and play with the kit's included parts, but I fabricated a harness that simplified wiring connections to make things neater.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:39 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
thanks cupcar - so are you saying you bought the tore kit, but didn’t fit the tore bulbs it came with but swapped them for the morimoto bulbs and some sort of shutter system?

Secondly - has anyone just added the kit from tore (hi and low) but not the morimoto aspect , and found it ready good enough? I’m not wanting to fuss around making anything - plug and play that is tried, tested and trouble free but works is my goal?
No, not that way. The Morimoto projector replaces the entire OE projector unit. Tore's kit comes with an H1 style HID -not halogen - bulb which plugs into the Morimoto projector (no bulb even comes with the projector unit).

The Morimoto projector has a shutter which is triggered by a solenoid built into the projector that shifts the optical system from a low (dipped) beam to a high beam configuration. The shutter is triggered by a wire from the high beam bulb when it is on and a separate harness is sold for this to work. So the projector has a lo and high beam built into it. The OE projector is built for low beam use only and has no shutter within.

Quick Reply: HID or LED Headlight Conversion