Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 10:26 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts
Question Aluminum gauge face installation

Here we go, my first post on the new board. Has anyone converted the black gauge faces to aluminum ones using the factory pieces? If so, how difficult of a task is this to perform? I can see two small screws that appear to hold the face on. How does the glass and bezel come off? Any insight appreciated.

John
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 06-01-2001, 10:43 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John:

From everything I've been told, it's not a DIY job. Even the Porsche techs do not attempt this--they remove the instruments and send them to a qualified speedo shop to do the face exchange. I'd think that would be the procedure that would work best for you.

Regards,

Jack
Old 06-01-2001, 10:52 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Jack,

As usual, thanks for your keen insight. Take care.

John
Old 06-02-2001, 06:06 PM
David Griswold
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bezels are removed by prying the back lip with a small screwdriver (It is a good idea to replace the bezels while you are at it), once removed, you will need to pull the indicator needle off, and remove the two screws that hold the face on. Installation of new faces is reverse.

All in all, it is not that difficult, but will require some patience. Be very careful when removing the needles, and if your lenses are scratched, glass replacement ones are not that expensive. Be careful with the small screws on the face and touch up with black paint if you scratch them.

Davi
Old 06-02-2001, 09:10 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dave,

First of all, thank you for the insight. It sounds like you have done this before. I am pretty handy and given your explanation, I feel confident I can do this. From the pictures I have seen, it looks like the factory bezels that come with the aluminum gauge package are chrome on the inside surface and black on the outside. Anyone know? Also, has anyone got a good source for the bezels and faces and know the approximate cost of the parts? Thanks.

John
Old 06-03-2001, 03:09 AM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
i had this done recently by a speedo shop. it sounded pretty straight forward except for the fact that the orginal gauge faces are affixed with some sort of adhesive. this means that the original guage faces sometimes come off in pieces and can leave residue that must be cleaned.

you'll love the change. I sure did.

Old 06-03-2001, 03:27 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Roger,

Would you mind saying where you had this done? I would be interested in speaking to them.

John
Old 06-04-2001, 09:47 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Roger,

how easy are the gauges to see at night ?
I like the look of them, but am concerned that they would be harder to see properly when backlit at night...
Old 06-04-2001, 10:43 AM
grungyspeed
Instructor

John,
I have done this on a 993 and if you are careful it is not that difficult. You do have to remove gauges which is pretty easy. Remove the bezels which is hard, and remove the needles which can be unnerving, you have to pull pretty hard on some of them. The new ones can be seen well at night.

However, the factory aluminum gauges are just the black gauges with a sticker over them. That sticker can peel. After two sets, I went with NR's aftermarket faces. They were much better.

Just my .02
Old 06-04-2001, 11:48 PM
David Griswold
Track Day

I have repalced these on a 964, a 965 and a 993. Lucky for me, none of the factory faces were glued on.

NR has good gauge faces, and I like the aluminum bezels from Imagine Auto. Be careful with the faces since many of them can restrict the nightime vision...

I did send a set to North Hollywood Speedometer since I wanted the tach and speedo recalibrated...they di a great job, even replaced the lenses with new glass! Price was very reasonable too.

David

Quick Reply: Aluminum gauge face installation