Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people heal toe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 01:20 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I do it pretty often. A friend was riding with me and said I heel toe "Nascar" style, apparently I do it weird. I slide my foot up the brake pedal and turn it so my toes are on the top of the gas pedal and my heel on the brake. Apparently that's backwards? Works for me though.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:50 AM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spikej
I feel toe and double clutch because one of my other cars at times won't shift into second unless I double clutch. Overkill but it's become routine now.
I double de-clutch all downshifts, braking as well if necessary - have a couple one lane bridges near home. I find ddc much smoother than just rev-matching. Single mass F.W.

Edit to add :

Wish I could drive like this ( apologies for the dreadful music)
Old 11-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Another thing to keep in mind when doing heel/toe or rocker is that the seat position fore/aft affects the geometry of the ankle/foot wrt the gas/brake pedals, I find it easier to do when the seat is moved a bit further forward than usual, this also gets you up on the wheel a bit more and saves the shoulder muscles
Despite being pretty tall (6'2"), I do tend to sit a bit more forward due to being used to driving smaller/more cramped cars (Miata/Lotus). I'm kinda used to having weird leg geometry going on under the wheel....that's the main reason why my technique is different. I'm still fiddling around with the ergonomics of my 993 to get it "just right" for me. I've corrected for the shifter so far, but am pretty sure I'll be touching the seats and pedals before I get things where I want them. Currently my seating positions are pretty limited as headroom is a constraint, too. Just more things to tweak to get things "just right", LOL.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:05 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
That is seriously one of my favorite driving videos of all time. He is teaching that NSX a lesson. A beautiful thing. If you haven’t watched the Senna documentary, you need to. The guy was a driving god..
^ Couldn't agree more.

I use heel-toe as often as I can on the street, though as others have noted the opportunities have to be right. In particular, there is a sharp right turn a few blocks from where I live with a dedicated right turn lane, and if the light is green and the road is clear, I do it every time I can. One day I'll get it right every time, but practice makes perfect right? It is pretty much a necessity at the track, though I don't spend much time there anymore (sigh). And I didn't get it right all the time there either.

Again, as others have mentioned I also find it easier to have the seat a bit more forward than you might think usual. I find it makes for a better angle to the pedals and more comfortable for my foot.

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 11-04-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-01-2019, 06:00 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

If racers (and most buyers of Porsches) use PDK-like transmissions with no heel-toe, then I don't feel one bit guilty using rev-match on my manual.

With rev-match, heel-toe is becoming an anachronism, just like manual transmissions.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
With rev-match, heel-toe is becoming an anachronism, just like manual transmissions.
And that is just a sad testament to how uninvolved drivers have become and how boring non-manual cars are to drive.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mark in Baltimore:
Britzky9 (07-17-2021), NC TRACKRAT (11-07-2019), Paolo1 (11-06-2019), RudyP (11-15-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
And that is just a sad testament to how uninvolved drivers have become and how boring non-manual cars are to drive.
I rarely drove my former spyder 981 in sport mode first the stupid fake popping and the rev matching. Loved the car. But i burn easy...
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 10:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Yeah, my old GT4 had that rev matching crap. Pointless. It's like driving a PDK with a lever instead of a paddle. Sucks the life right out of the whole business.

What's the point of any of this if there is no challenge; no reward for practice and effort. The pleasure of executing something well instead of having a computer do it for you. Otherwise, let's just buy an electric Tesla appliance and get it over with.

/rant
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
Mark in Baltimore (11-01-2019), RudyP (11-15-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 11:48 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I find roll/side of foot best in 993. I would be careful of winged or widened pedal extensions in a car not for track. If you daily drive you wear all kinds of footwear. If i am driving mine with blocky shoes or fall boots it can be very easy to catch the acceleration when braking suddenly or emergency braking. A more track focused car you likely have the right shoes for the job.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:10 AM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

I do it on the street when I'm coming up to a turn and want to downshift, just for fun. It's more of a big toe/little toe, since my heel doesn't touch the pedals.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:21 PM
AZ993
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of turns are people using left foot braking on? I tried it one day on an empty street and nearly gave myself whiplash.

Its funny how the brake pedal seemed so much more sensitive to pressure using my left foot than with the right foot. I suppose it’s just practice, practice practice.

I have a LWFW and agree that heel-toe makes street driving very fun. Regrettably, I don’t have time for DE or track days so this is as close as it gets to feeling like a racer. 😁

For the 3-2 downshift I have gotten into the habit of double clutching the shift while doing heel-toe. Shifter slides into 2nd so much easier. Is this a sign of a 2nd gear synchro being worn or just normal? 82k miles on the transmission.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:32 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Not sure I know how not to any more.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:55 PM
KarlBanan
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never do this, but a double clutch and gas hit. works fine. why brake and gas? do the northshlife exercise.
The following users liked this post:
climbernyc (10-30-2021)
Old 11-07-2019, 03:07 PM
KarlBanan
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I mean that focus on the gas and clutch is more of value, not the brake. Brake is tobe done before turning in to apex..
Old 11-09-2019, 09:22 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AZ993
What kind of turns are people using left foot braking on? I tried it one day on an empty street and nearly gave myself whiplash.

Its funny how the brake pedal seemed so much more sensitive to pressure using my left foot than with the right foot. I suppose it’s just practice, practice practice.

I have a LWFW and agree that heel-toe makes street driving very fun. Regrettably, I don’t have time for DE or track days so this is as close as it gets to feeling like a racer. 😁

For the 3-2 downshift I have gotten into the habit of double clutching the shift while doing heel-toe. Shifter slides into 2nd so much easier. Is this a sign of a 2nd gear synchro being worn or just normal? 82k miles on the transmission.
I use left foot braking, only on my automatic transmission, mostly in NYC narrow streets with pedestrians, or kids around you, that can be in harm's way with little warning.
Another use is when 4-wheeling , in the old days before traction control days, to send torque to the non-slipping wheel in mud

You will learn quick to apply the right pressure ( for the given speed ). On a side note. I even challenged myself to use chopsticks with both hands !

Quick Reply: How many people heal toe?