Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people heal toe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 10:02 AM
benz
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I left foot brake every vehicle I drive everyday. As others have stated, heel and toe is for certain cars in the fleet and only when attacking a street corner so you come in with decently high revs and brake late. Not everyday, but several times a week. Often enough my kids can tell you what heel and toe is.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:24 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
I wish I could. I keep trying but I can't do it.

This is my inspiration... and he is wearing loafers!

Senna Heel Toe in Honda NSX
Interesting to see how much he pumps the throttle to manage the handling balance (i.e. provoke a bit of oversteer). I do that occasionally but have always sort of felt like it was a crutch for suboptimal car setup and driving - specifically being a bit impatient on corner entry resulting in understeer. Good to see that even the greats resort to the same tricks...
Old 10-31-2019, 11:24 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts

My dad was teaching me heel and toe while I was still riding in the backseat. I can't think of a time where I dont do it.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Well...yes and no. I've been using the heel-and-toe technique for driving manual cars since I was 16, only I don't actually use my heel, I rock the ball of my right foot side to side to do it. This is mainly because of my size and the relatively small/narrow/close foot pedal spacing/placement of the smaller sports cars I've driven through the years.

I try to use all the shifting techniques I can, whenever possible, even in street conditions. It's important to me to try to master driving techniques to the point of it being automatic, so that if I'm ever in a situation where it's actually needed, it just flows naturally through muscle memory.

My 993 is a relatively newer acquisition, so I'm still trying to master ACTUAL heel-and-toe technique with it is a bit more of a challenge because the pedal geometry differs so much from any of my past cars requiring me to move away from my "rolling the ball of my foot" technique. I haven't gotten around to fiddling with the pedals yet to make them match my geometry/technique yet, so I find myself having to hold off practicing it under all conditions....but I still do it a lot.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery

My 993 is a relatively newer acquisition, so I'm still trying to master ACTUAL heel-and-toe technique with it is a bit more of a challenge because the pedal geometry differs so much from any of my past cars requiring me to move away from my "rolling the ball of my foot" technique. I haven't gotten around to fiddling with the pedals yet to make them match my geometry/technique yet, so I find myself having to hold off practicing it under all conditions....but I still do it a lot.
I've been using a Wings Engineering pedal on all of my 993s and love it. The plane of the pedal can be adjusted in three axes for perfect heel and toeing.

Although they’re no longer available, you can sometimes find them on eBay, Pelican or here. There was a guy who was selling knock-offs on eBay. I bought one as a spare and thought it was decently made.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Woolery (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 04:02 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I do it on my 993s. It is so much more fun! For my C4S with LWF and shorter gears it is almost a "must" and I do it in my convertible because it became a habit.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:40 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I've been using a Wings Engineering pedal on all of my 993s and love it. The plane of the pedal can be adjusted in three axes for perfect heel and toeing.

Although it's no longer available, you can sometimes find them on eBay, Pelican or here. There was a guy who was selling knock-offs on eBay. I bought one as a spare and thought it was decently made.
I use a Wing pedal too, they are great, sometimes heel & toe sometime rock side to side. On the track is where it's necessary because of the large disparity in revs in one gear compared to the next one down at roughly the same speed, it really saves wear and tear on the syncros and clutch. On the street it's good practice, also gives you practice e w/ different throttle blips necessary at different speeds
Mr.Woolery (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:17 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
I wish I could. I keep trying but I can't do it.

This is my inspiration... and he is wearing loafers!

Senna Heel Toe in Honda NSX
SWEET
either full on gas, full off gas, blipping for downshift or feathering for traction as corner exit occurs.
He goes to full throttle on corner exit much sooner than I am able to...................
I guess he deserves the accolades.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:40 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I use a Wing pedal too, they are great, sometimes heel & toe sometime rock side to side.
Thanks for the recommendation, guys! I'll keep an eye out for one.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
Thanks for the recommendation, guys! I'll keep an eye out for one.
Another thing to keep in mind when doing heel/toe or rocker is that the seat position fore/aft affects the geometry of the ankle/foot wrt the gas/brake pedals, I find it easier to do when the seat is moved a bit further forward than usual, this also gets you up on the wheel a bit more and saves the shoulder muscles
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Another thing to keep in mind when doing heel/toe or rocker is that the seat position fore/aft affects the geometry of the ankle/foot wrt the gas/brake pedals, I find it easier to do when the seat is moved a bit further forward than usual, this also gets you up on the wheel a bit more and saves the shoulder muscles
100%. I usually sit fairly close to the wheel for steering better control. I don't feel connected to the car when I'm too far away.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:01 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 307 Likes on 205 Posts

All the time. Brakes last forever. If I wanted to brake, I'd get an automatic.....

Old 10-31-2019, 10:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,125 Posts

All the time. Especially aggressive canyon driving.
should post a video of heel toe in flip flops.

learning to do this well will really help you learn the meaning of maintaining balance of the car.
MC 968CS (07-17-2021)
Old 10-31-2019, 11:16 PM
spikej
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I feel toe and double clutch because one of my other cars at times won't shift into second unless I double clutch. Overkill but it's become routine now.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:41 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

You guys like the pedal extensions. I find it gets in the way for me on the “roll.” Never worked with one until 3yrs who. I over compensated despite them being level at threshold

Quick Reply: How many people heal toe?