Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G50 Transmission bearing options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 10:04 AM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default G50 Transmission bearing options?

HI, A few weeks ago, I blew my diff while autocrossing. I had an open stock diff, and will be installing the Guards TBD. My indy is breaking down the entire transmission to clean out all the little shavings and will also be doing a refresh of all the synchros. etc. Basically anything that is a wear part. Car has about 85k miles.

I was looking at the 5 main roller bearings and basically have found 2 options. Porsche or ***/OEM. The cost is 2-2.5x for the Genuine Porsche ones.

Does anyone have any experience with using the OEM ones?
Old 10-28-2019, 03:00 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Keep in mind Porsche doesn't make bearings or really any part of the transmission on a 993, I saw a G50 on display at Dana-Spicer in Michigan, I was informed that they supplied all the castings and parts to Porsche who assembles them in Germany. Their supplier could be ***. I bet a sales guy at Bearings Inc. could tell you if there is even more than one supplier other than *** who makes the bearing at all.
Andy
Old 10-28-2019, 05:12 PM
levtron
Racer

Is it these guys> https://www.bearingdistributors.com/ out of Cleveland? If not, can you share a url/phone.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

This is very timely. I noticed the marking '***' on another part just yesterday and was wondering how to identify what it stands for. What is this company please? Sorry for the tangent, but I am looking for a boot for a clutch master cylinder that is not separately order able through Porsche. It is marked '***".
Old 10-28-2019, 08:46 PM
levtron
Racer

Originally Posted by Paolo1
This is very timely. I noticed the marking '***' on another part just yesterday and was wondering how to identify what it stands for. What is this company please? Sorry for the tangent, but I am looking for a boot for a clutch master cylinder that is not separately order able through Porsche. It is marked '***".
*** s the manufacturer.

I had same issue when I changed out my slave for an MPL.

no options. I ended up buying a new slave and swaping out the rubber boot.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:47 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by levtron
Is it these guys> https://www.bearingdistributors.com/ out of Cleveland? If not, can you share a url/phone.

Thanks!
Hi Levtron
I seem to recall these are the guys from when I lived in Cleveland.
I would give them a call.
Andy
Old 10-29-2019, 01:53 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

the Schaeffler Group includes INA, Barden and *** bearing products

*** Bearings have been synonymous with high quality for over 120 years. In 1883, Friedrich Fischer designed a ball grinding machine in Schweinfurt, Germany that, for the first time, made it possible to produce absolutely round steel ***** by grinding. The invention is regarded as the foundation for the entire rolling bearing industry.

*** Bearings (part of the Schaeffler Group) offers a broad range of bearing products, among the most comprehensive in the rolling bearing industry. *** Bearings can supply products for applications in around 60 industrial sectors and numerous automotive applications as well as a variety of special solutions with which complex tasks involving bearings can be managed reliably and economically.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:32 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

I was in the apparatus repair business (motors, generators) for my whole career and many of our sophisticated customer technical departments would specify the brand of ball and roller bearings to be used in their expensive and (often irreplaceable) equipment.

*** and SKF were always the brands specified by engineers a whole lot smarter than we were. You can't go wrong with an *** product.
The following users liked this post:
levtron (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 06:11 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks! Seems they won't sell me just the boot.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:43 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Seems they won't sell me just the boot.
The boot bearly does anything because as the cylinder is actuated the boot pumps air in and out of itself including any moisture in the air by the peddle cluster.
One can tape up their old boot or buy a new one, it can be purchased t dozens of places for example.
Boot distributor
The only thing I can add to this is if you have a leaking master or slave cylinder I would replace them both if original. I replaced the master on my car at about 100k miles and the slave failed immediately thereafter.

Andy
Old 10-31-2019, 01:55 PM
levtron
Racer

If you are replacing the slave... and considering a LWF.... This is a MUST.... made my car drivable again after the LWF install.

https://www.mpl-tuningparts.de/english/porsche.html

Quick Reply: G50 Transmission bearing options?