Sponsored by:

993TT For Sale + Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 10:24 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Post 993TT For Sale + Pictures

Hi everyone. I've put my '96 993TT up for sale. There is an ad on the Rennlist classifieds, but the link below has more information. The link also has good photos of the car, for anyone who enjoys looking at 993s! I'll miss the car but am out of space. Thanks.

<a href="http://www.motorventures.com/classifieds/96_porsche993/96porsche993.htm" target="_blank">1996 Arena Red 993TT For Sale</a>

Old 03-17-2002, 02:22 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roger,

What a beautiful car! If only I had a money tree growing in my back yard... Oh well.

Since you and I live in the same area, would you consider a (very) short-term lease? I promise It'll be spotless when I return it!

Someone will be very happy with that TT.

Regards,

MC
Old 03-17-2002, 02:51 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just curious, but why sell the 993TT and not the Z06?
Old 03-17-2002, 03:24 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

That's a great looking 993TT, Roger
Old 03-17-2002, 04:31 AM
tsky
Advanced

Man, I love arena red.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:21 AM
roger sf
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by 993RS:
<strong>Just curious, but why sell the 993TT and not the Z06?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fair question. I bought the 993TT about a year ago as a "do everything car" that I could drive to work occasionally, take out for back road romps, and take (in comfort) to 5-6 driver education events per year. It was fabulous in this role.

Then, early last year I went for a ride in a Z06 on a track and was stunned with the experience. It was as close to a race car as I'd ever been in a street car. The combination of sound, grip, cornering and acceleration were intoxicating. A friend and I decided to go in together to buy one as a track car. Not only did we love the performance on the track, but also liked the idea of putting a much less expensive car on the track.

I don't really care for the "image" or build quality of the Z06 for a car I'd drive on the street, but for the track, it is a monster and in my opinion is easier to drive fast than either a 993TT or a 996TT. I don't know if you will have a chance to experience a Z06 in Switzerland, but if you do, don't pass it up.

To make a long story a bit longer, I've decided to try a 360 Modena as the car that I'll have fun with on the street. So, rather than have one car (the 993TT) that can do everything well, I'll have two specialty cars that are each a bit extreme in their application. I'll really miss the 993TT, but don't have room in the garage, and on top of that wouldn't see myself driving it much. I hope this made sense.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:38 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey Roger,

Wish we all could make choices like that.

Have fun with your toys.

E. J.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:17 PM
fxrdoc
Intermediate

I know what you mean about about the Z06. I have taken mine out on the track it is a monster. Incredible performance and very forgiving. I drive mine about half the time and my 98 C2S the other half. The porsche wins in refinement, but can't touch the chevy on the track.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:51 PM
roger sf
Instructor

That is my sentiment exactly. One ride in a Z06 on the track changed my whole mind set about Corvettes. The car has more grip than a Porsche and is more predicatble as well. The Z06 fixes turn-in and apex mistakes (which I make) with exit launch that no turbocharged car can match.

The Porsche is better looking, built better, will last longer and depreciate less. None of those attributes make me prefer the Porsche to the Z06 for the track. The fact that the Z06 is 2/3 the price doesn't hurt either.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Patricia
Racer

Roger, that is the car of my dreams - even the perfect color! Unfortunately, the price is also something I can only dream about at this point,

I hope that beauty goes to a good home, how can you bear to part with it?

Pat
Old 03-18-2002, 01:25 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

Roger, if I remember correctly, aren't you waiting for a new Maserati?
Old 03-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by fxrdoc:
<strong> The porsche wins in refinement, but can't touch the chevy on the track.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have done several events where two of the quicker cars were myself and a guy with a Z06 (he is a porsche die hard but is still building his track 73 RS) he had Khumo R compounds as his only mod. We were within a few tenths of each other and his comment to me was that he didn't pull me like he thought he would on the straight. I probably would just get a better exit out of the last turn before the straight. Problem with his car was that after 5 hard laps he had to back off because of oil and tranny temps, something that Chevy has supposedly improved with oil and tranny coolers on later models.
I was itching to ride with him and I was very impressed, for a streetable car the balance was great and the power-on oversteer was too cool. This guy is an accomplised SCCA racer and was not holding anything back, most of his students got out of the car with the "I have seen God" look.

Anyway my point is that a stock Z06 is an awesome car for street or track and can go toe to toe with a track prepped 993 that weighs several hundred pounds less. My only reservations would be the brakes and the overheating. The brakes went away after 4 or 5 laps also. Good luck with the Z06 Roger, sounds like you are enjoying it.

Greg
Old 03-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Greg, I agree. I too have a C2S, and at full weight with motorsports suspension upgrades and big reds and with a stock motor I am able to pass Z06 guys with equivalent skills. A couple times last fall I got passed early in a session, and then was able to reel the Z06 in and pass in a couple more laps as their brakes went away.

I am impressed with GM's new resolve, and I have considered a Z06 myself because of it's considerable track savvy. In the near future I am told they will offer it with the T-top roofline which I find more appealing. And what could be more appealing than having service done at my local Chevy dealer around the corner. How fast would the Z06 be with an upgraded suspension and bigger brakes?

Aside from the economies of pushing a big ticket car around a track in harm's way as has been mentioned (and which is a legitimate issue), from my limited experience I would state that a 993TT with equal rubber should beat a Z06, all other things being equal.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:20 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>

I have done several events where two of the quicker cars were myself and a guy with a Z06 (he is a porsche die hard but is still building his track 73 RS) he had Khumo R compounds as his only mod. We were within a few tenths of each other and his comment to me was that he didn't pull me like he thought he would on the straight. I probably would just get a better exit out of the last turn before the straight. Problem with his car was that after 5 hard laps he had to back off because of oil and tranny temps, something that Chevy has supposedly improved with oil and tranny coolers on later models.
I was itching to ride with him and I was very impressed, for a streetable car the balance was great and the power-on oversteer was too cool. This guy is an accomplised SCCA racer and was not holding anything back, most of his students got out of the car with the "I have seen God" look.

Anyway my point is that a stock Z06 is an awesome car for street or track and can go toe to toe with a track prepped 993 that weighs several hundred pounds less. My only reservations would be the brakes and the overheating. The brakes went away after 4 or 5 laps also. Good luck with the Z06 Roger, sounds like you are enjoying it.

Greg</strong><hr></blockquote>

Greg,
I would really like to know what motor you have in your race car because there is NO WAY that I can keep up with a ZO6 in stratights and accelerations in my race car. I mean NO WAY. Same deal with 996TT, they just pull hundreds of feets away from me on a track like Road Atlanta.
JM
Old 03-18-2002, 03:55 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts
Hey Roger,

Beautiful car.. wish I had the $$$ I'd be glad to take it off your hands.
I wanted to share a personal experience I had with you.
In Sept of 99, I picked up an Audi S4 (bi-turbo, AWD) and had done a lot of track events with it.
I also modded the car heavily. I upped the HP to 320, short shifter, brake kit, exhaust, by pass valves, hoses.. the car was a monster on the track and extremely forgiving. Radius of the turn too big, just lift off the gas, wait for the nose to tuck back in, hammer back down.
I throughly enjoyed tracking it for two years. The more track events I did though, the less exciting it became.
As my skill as a driver slowly increased, the more I desired a car that wasn't so easy to drive.
So, I sold the AWD, bi-turbo, modded S4.. and bought a RWD, Naturally aspirated, much less HP, porsche.
I now find when I go out on the track, I have to work much harder to be fast. Slow in, fast out. Being consistent, etc. etc. It also takes a lot of work to lead a pack of cars and/or come up through the pack from the back.
In the Audi, it felt easy, just mash the gas pedal and wait for a point by.
Even though I only do Drivers Ed, in the Pcar, I always find myself trying to push a bit more to get more out of the car, braking a bit deeper, getting on the gas sooner, etc. etc.
At the end of the day, I would say that driving a car with less HP, less grip (no awd), and less forgiving has pushed to make me a better driver.
My lap times might not be better, but i'm not racing so I don't mind.

I think the Z06 is an awesome car and you sound real happy with it (I would love to test drive one, especially on a track.)
I guess the point of my whole story is: I think it can be a whole lot more fun driving a slower car fast. And I think it really helps the driver hone skills. and, your not always leading the pack, rather you can have some fun in track traffic.

Congrats on your Modena and anytime you want to give me a ride in any of your sweet cars, I'll be sure to wear my perma grin..

Quick Reply: 993TT For Sale + Pictures