Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does modifying my 993 effect value?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 07:50 PM
Effmer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does modifying my 993 effect value?

Hi,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Apologize if I this question is redundant.
I own a 1996 C4S. It’s got 55K miles and is in good condition mechanically and esthetically. I’ve wanted a 993 C4S since I was a teenager and finally got the car after some 30 years of waiting. Though, now that I have it, I’m a bit disappointed. I bought the 911 as a 2nd car, to enjoy driving with light track work a few times a year. Love the feel and look from the driver’s seat and rowing the transmission, but unfortunately, the car is just not that fast, (at least compared to modern Porsche’s).
I find that some of the shine has come off, and I can’t decide whether to sell, or modify. If I sold, I would probably buy a newer 911T. Does not have the presence of the classic 993, but drives better, is faster and may even come with a warranty. On the other hand, I could modify my 993 and make it much quicker and more fun to drive, but I am concerned that it would hurt resale value. I also feel like it would be bad karma to modify a clean, somewhat rare, potentially collector’s 911, (maybe I’m overvaluing my car?).
Would love some honest feedback.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Tripp993
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

These cars are incredible when modified but very expensive to build it right. I would sell it and buy this one if it's still available. Someone probably spent $75k on this build alone!

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1144792
The following users liked this post:
ed devinney (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 08:14 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 181 Posts

It will cost an arm and a leg to get a c4s to have as much power as it sounds like you want it to. If you have the budget for a 911t but would miss the presence of the 993, you should get a 993turbo. Power, fast, presence in stock form and you wouldn't have to worry about hurting resale value of the c4s. One other thing, having a twin turbo motor will help at Steamboat's elevation. A normally aspirated car will have to work that much harder or have even more power because of your elevation.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:31 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Ok, so I came from a 991 Turbo and a GT4 before that one. My C4S felt a little old when I bought it. After modification, it’s come alive and I enjoy driving it more than the two other cars.

Is it as fast as either? No! But it feels light and quick and strong and full of character. Best car I’ve ever owned. Period. I own an M5 competition that’s nearly as fast as my old Turbo, so I have a good, current frame of reference.

I don’t think tasteful, appropriate modifications will negatively affect value. Not unless it’s some ridiculous low miles garage queen where people are looking for time capsule cars.

Lightweight wheels, lightweight flywheel and the rest of it makes a huge difference in my experience. The base motor is strong and if you fix up the rest of it, the power is there.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:24 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Effmer
Hi,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Apologize if I this question is redundant.
I own a 1996 C4S. It’s got 55K miles and is in good condition mechanically and esthetically. I’ve wanted a 993 C4S since I was a teenager and finally got the car after some 30 years of waiting. Though, now that I have it, I’m a bit disappointed. I bought the 911 as a 2nd car, to enjoy driving with light track work a few times a year. Love the feel and look from the driver’s seat and rowing the transmission, but unfortunately, the car is just not that fast, (at least compared to modern Porsche’s).
I find that some of the shine has come off, and I can’t decide whether to sell, or modify. If I sold, I would probably buy a newer 911T. Does not have the presence of the classic 993, but drives better, is faster and may even come with a warranty. On the other hand, I could modify my 993 and make it much quicker and more fun to drive, but I am concerned that it would hurt resale value. I also feel like it would be bad karma to modify a clean, somewhat rare, potentially collector’s 911, (maybe I’m overvaluing my car?).
youll hear all ranges of opinions. Most dependent on how long you will be keeping it. If long term, mod away and enjoy it.
I was in exactly the same boat with my c2s about 7 years ago. Balanced but just didnt feel modern from a power perspective and decided i wouldnt keep as is for much longer. After wrestling with TT vs modding i finally decided i couldnt justify a TT (prices were peaking then relative to the normal aspirated 993) and i already had a lot into suspension changes i liked. So after a lot of research I had a TPC supercharger/intercooler installed. Feels like a modern sport car in terms of power to weight. Brought back a lot of excitement and has brought a lot of love since doing it. It is in now way stupid fast but it dyno’d around 360 rwhp and adds a lot more midrange than the TT. Can be converted back to stock but doubt i ever will.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:34 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

My view is:
A good strait example with the usual updates needed to retain performance functions such as struts/bushings/ etc is a plus when selling.
Modifying or adding performance or track oriented aftermarket parts may add value but only for a small segment of buyers and probably nowhere near what the parts & work cost to do in the first place.
Andy
The following users liked this post:
07C4S (10-28-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 09:14 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
My view is:
A good strait example with the usual updates needed to retain performance functions such as struts/bushings/ etc is a plus when selling.
Modifying or adding performance or track oriented aftermarket parts may add value but only for a small segment of buyers and probably nowhere near what the parts & work cost to do in the first place.
Andy
100% agree.

OP: Given your comments I’m in the sell camp too. You can get a faster, more reliable better 911 for the money if you’re willing to forgo the nostalgia of the 993 (which is baked in to the price). 991T or 997GT3 both come to mind as driver’s 911’s that might scratch your itch. I wouldn’t trade my 993 for those types of 911s because I love the air cooled, classic awesomeness.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:24 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

It sounds like you have around $40-50K for upgrades to spend if you are thinking about a 911T. There are basically two options.

Supercharger: $10-11K
Gearbox regear to ROW specs: $20-25 if a gearbox is purchased separately as a core.

Both above options are still cheaper than a 911T and will give you a feeling of additional 50hp. 50 extra hp in this chassis will feel fast. Regear is more expensive but it is plug and play without concern about changing stress to the motor. Selling this used gear box down the road still gets you $0.60 to $0.70 on the dollar if built correctly.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:46 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Ok, so I came from a 991 Turbo and a GT4 before that one. My C4S felt a little old when I bought it. After modification, it’s come alive and I enjoy driving it more than the two other cars.

Is it as fast as either? No! But it feels light and quick and strong and full of character. Best car I’ve ever owned. Period. I own an M5 competition that’s nearly as fast as my old Turbo, so I have a good, current frame of reference.

I don’t think tasteful, appropriate modifications will negatively affect value. Not unless it’s some ridiculous low miles garage queen where people are looking for time capsule cars.

Lightweight wheels, lightweight flywheel and the rest of it makes a huge difference in my experience. The base motor is strong and if you fix up the rest of it, the power is there.

I too have a 95 993 with low miles and I own an M3 competition package car as my every day driver. The M3 is wickedly fast and handles like it is on rails. With the traction control off you can easily steer with the gas peddle and it will hold in a perfectly controlled drift with the best cars out there. Top end speed? Ridiculous. My Porsche feels slow getting out of the M3.

I too struggled with modifying a 17,000 mile icon. Would I ruin the value? You know what? Who cares. I always wanted one. Now I have it. a NICE one! Who am I saving it for? Well, Owen (21), but he gets what it becomes, lol.

I had a great conversation with Dan Jacobs from Hairy Dog garage. I drove the car all summer, put 2000 miles on it. It is going in to Dan this week to start tinkering. He said we should get it driving like new stock.... and then he said we can start doing tasteful modifications to liven the car up. An exhaust, a short shift, tweak the suspension. Automobile associates in Canton CT is going to help me with some minor cosmetic issues. Some lighter wheels. Better tires.

Nothing has the character of an air cooled Porsche. I find my '95 can hustle through the twisties just fine once you learn how to drive it to get the most out of it. Truth is RARLEY do I drive the M car like a hooligan. While the M makes the 993 feel slow.... the 993 makes the M car feel isolated, distant, digital and like a video game. I sit ON the seats in the M car, IN them in the Porsche. The M doesn't smell. The 993 smells like leather and oil with a hint of gas..... perfect. Turn on the heater.... it only gets better.

I'll always have my BMW daily. one after the other. I will never sell my 993. I'm over the save it, look at it, don't touch it. I'm going to drive it, play with it, tweak it, make it mine. I sincerely hope the OP does the same.
The following 5 users liked this post by aircooledpurist:
911Jetta (10-30-2019), 993_540 (10-28-2019), kingroon (10-28-2019), Paolo1 (10-28-2019), Tim Porter (11-02-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 04:39 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 258 Posts

What modifications are you considering?

/
Old 10-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

-I would think that some mods based on OEM parts (like upgrade packages, options, etc) wouldn't hurt value, and may actually significantly help value depending upon which parts were used (for example RS tributes or high-end/high reputation builders)

-Mods that improve the reliability, maintenance, or performance without detracting from other aspects of the car in terms of reliability wouldn't likely hurt value, but may alter the selling/buying demographic. For example: consensus based, "good reputation" positive improvement mods ie: goldenrod shifter, reversible bolt-ons, BBS wheels, PSS10's, etc

-Mods that are both buying/selling demographic shifters AND may compromise reliability/stress to the design may more likely result in detracting value...for example irreversible body mods, aftermarket forced induction kits, one-off work by unknown/unvetted modders, etc are much less likely to add or retain ROI value to the car.

Keeping all this in mind, I think my 993 is now valued at $1.98
Old 10-28-2019, 09:44 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

Judging from the pic above Mr. Woolery and I have some of the same mods, but his car is probably a lot nicer so I hate to even think what mine is worth.

I looked for a long time to find the “right” modded car because I just don’t have the heart to put a pristine 993 under the knife. I truly appreciate and respect original examples, but having driven an amazing, low mileage and nearly flawless bone stock 993 I know for certain that just isn’t the driving experience I’m after. I love having a modded car and don’t worry about value or care what purists might say. The advice above is sound; at worst reversible bolt on mods are probably not a huge detriment, some (suspension, Golden Rod, bushings, exhaust, etc) might even return a measurable percentage of their initial cost. If you distill the car too far you will find yourself in a tiny niche of the overall 993 market which is already quite small. Fewer interested individuals obviously means lower resale price.

For me it’s unquestionably worth it, especially since the car isn’t for sale. When I’m ready to move on perhaps I’ll be singing a different tune though. Good luck! These cars are supposed to be fun, so don’t overthink it.

-Mark
Old 10-29-2019, 05:39 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Genarally customers wants unmodified rather than modified cars! And then they carry out all the value lowering modifications themself!
Old 10-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Effmer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the thoughtful feedback. I do enjoy the classic looks of my car more than the new 911’s, and the more purposeful feel of the older cars, (newer 911’s seem like they are trying to be all things to all buyers, rather than the focused sports car made for driving). So its off to the tuners shop I go. Given the responses, it sounds like suspension and wheels are a good first stop. Then perhaps exhaust.
One question: several people recommended a light weight flywheel. I understand how this would benefit performance on a track, but it seems like it would make the car less enjoyable to drive on the street. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has done this mod.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:34 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Effmer
Hi,
On the other hand, I could modify my 993 and make it much quicker and more fun to drive, but I am concerned that it would hurt resale value.
Well, since you asked.
You won't make it "much quicker" without spending a boatload of money, >20K and it still might not be as quick as a new Camry.
993s have their charm, typically 0 - 60 times are not one of them.

I recommend that you just keep it as is and drive for a bit.
You'll determine how good it is and if you want to keep or not.
If you feel compelled to modify, most of us so / did, to make it your own, make sure the mods are 100% reversible if you are concerned about resale, because yes, to most people mod's hurt resale in the current market.

ps. LWF mod while 100% reversible, is not easily reversible $$$$, unless you DIY.
If you don't know what this mod is / does, don't do it until you spend some time in a car that has had this done, or you'll be sorry (probably).

cheers

Craig

Quick Reply: How does modifying my 993 effect value?