Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HiFi Speaker Upgrade, Plug and play?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 10:22 AM
gregorytate
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HiFi Speaker Upgrade, Plug and play?

I'm still holding out for a plug and play replacement. I've read through most if not all of the audio threads here. There are some really clever and resourceful solutions. But none offer the ability to snap off the cover and replace the original speakers. Unless I go to Porsche dealer and I suspect the quality will be less than desirable.

If there have been any advancements on this front, I'd love to hear about them.

In the meantime, I plan to visit a couple of auto audio shops and see what they might have.

all the best

Last edited by gregorytate; 09-26-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

As you saw from my thread, I just went through this process recently and ended up getting and installing original speakers both front and back (although hi-fi upgrades for the back as I didn't have hi-fi as an option previously). They still sounds much better than the original speakers which literally fall apart when you remove them (or have already disintegrated as per my rear speakers).

Still, if you want a good upgrade on the front I think you'll need to be prepared to do some cutting of the door cards and stapling the leather / leatherette back in place after enlarging the holes as the modern sizes just aren't the same as the originals. Even if you can't find something that will fit the original cover then the good news is that most covers have the logos on the bottom of the plate and this will be mostly obscured by the door pocket from a distance.

Good luck and keen to hear if you do manage to find something!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:12 AM
gregorytate
Advanced

Thanks BlueHorizon. I will certainly share.

I did replace the rears with a high end pair from Suncoast. Too expensive, but it was plug and play. The old rears were disintegrated as you mentioned. I wasn't going to do anything for the fronts, but got to thinking how bad they would be after seeing the rears. Onwards and upwards.

all the best
Old 09-26-2019, 01:46 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Same here. Looked for a plug/play solution and ended up just getting fresh OE.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:20 PM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 82 Posts

Something to consider . . . . it's really everything before the speakers that makes the audio sound "not good".
An option to consider: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...p-install.html

I'm not an audiophile. I just wanted modern sound and Bluetooth from my 1997 911 HiFi stereo.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:20 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Does someone have a list of all the OE replacement speakers (front and rear) for the HiFi system? I looked on Sunset's website and couldn't seem to find them.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:23 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Nvm...looks like they're up on Pelican's site...although not sure they offer the best pricing.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:51 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Sonnen will usually have the best price, or as low as anyone else. Good to deal with as well. Pelican is also good to deal with.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:54 PM
jeanhules
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a full 993 black interior including HiFi sound (speakers and amp) for sale if anyone is looking for that stuff.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:16 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,073 Posts

One of the benefits of the hi-Fi optioned car is one can do anything they want under the speaker housing covers on the doors and it will look stock. In my case I removed the speaker housings under the cover and replaced it with a woofer mounted in the hole in the door under the cover with extension rings so it was not set back too far from the grill in the OE cover. I then mounted the tweeter using the old speaker box mounting point in the position where the original midrange speaker was located. Finally, I replaced the power amp with one that has considerably greater output under the seat and added an in-line digital signal processor to recover the low-frequency harmonics that are difficult to reproduce in the acoustic environment in our cars. After all this I have come to the conclusion that the original audio concept in our cars was innovative in its day however the implementation of it was grossly underpowered and lacked low-frequency response something that may have not mattered in 1993~95 when it was designed but is not equal to even a basic aftermarket implementation today.
Andy
The following 2 users liked this post by pp000830:
abiazis (01-19-2023), M. Schneider (01-17-2023)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:18 AM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 82 Posts

Andy, can you elaborate on this "added an in-line digital signal processor to recover the low-frequency harmonics" What did you use and how is it installed?

Originally Posted by pp000830
One of the benefits of the hi-Fi optioned car is one can do anything they want under the speaker housing covers on the doors and it will look stock. In my case I removed the speaker housings under the cover and replaced it with a woofer mounted in the hole in the door under the cover with extension rings so it was not set back too far from the grill in the OE cover. I then mounted the tweeter using the old speaker box mounting point in the position where the original midrange speaker was located. Finally, I replaced the power amp with one that has considerably greater output under the seat and added an in-line digital signal processor to recover the low-frequency harmonics that are difficult to reproduce in the acoustic environment in our cars. After all this I have come to the conclusion that the original audio concept in our cars was innovative in its day however the implementation of it was grossly underpowered and lacked low-frequency response something that may have not mattered in 1993~95 when it was designed but is not equal to even a basic aftermarket implementation today.
Andy
Old 10-01-2019, 09:08 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by PFDGSB
Andy, can you elaborate on this "added an in-line digital signal processor to recover the low-frequency harmonics" What did you use and how is it installed?
Getting good bass response in a 993 audio system can be a challenge. Some have worked up very creative ways to add a subwoofer housing. In all these cases one has to give up some cabin space. The 993 doesn’t have much cabin space to begin with so I looked into other options. I ended up replacing the door speaker boxes with a two-way speaker system where the woofer is screwed directly to the door’s speaker hole and had a stated frequency response of 35 Hz (doubtful). I then replaced the under-seat power amp with an aftermarket one and added a Soundstream BX10X Digital Bass enhancing DSP / equalizer for about $60 new on eBay.
On the plus side, the BX10X provides equalization and regenerates the lost lower frequency harmonics and sounds great! For general pop music and things such as acoustic guitar, it causes the bass to feel much smoother eliminating the boxed-in like sound inherent in door speakers. I feel for general listening it eliminates the need for a sub-woofer while transforming the sound for the better. On the negative side
the intensity control that it comes with needs to be turned down when music with a hard beat is played as it easily overdrives the 75 watt RMS amp causing distortion. Having it in the car a while I have now set my 10-year-old Alpine radio’s bass control center frequency to 50hz and control the BX10X function using the standard bass control on the radio and found overdrive distortion to not be a big issue. If your goal is to have powerful thumping bass this solution is not for you, most likely a much larger power amp or separately powered subwoofer enclosure would be the ticket. Some newer head units incorporate within them features similar to the BX10X eliminating the need for this extra box.

https://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-Bx10x-Reconstruction-Processor-Black/dp/B00318KAQ2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NQQ1TW3RNVARXDY7V7QP https://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-Bx10x-Reconstruction-Processor-Black/dp/B00318KAQ2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NQQ1TW3RNVARXDY7V7QP
Old 10-01-2019, 05:37 PM
gregorytate
Advanced

I may have found a plug and play coax speaker for the HiFi system. As soon as I have the details, I will share the make and model number.

However, safely getting the grill covers off is proving difficult. I'm returning to the prior threads to look for a picture of the grill tabs (if there is one).

all the best,

Last edited by gregorytate; 10-01-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 10-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

^^^ Yes, please share details. Are you only working on the rear speakers or the door ones too?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:19 AM
gregorytate
Advanced

Yes, the front HiFi speakers. I easily replaced the rears (cabriolet) with some over priced high end speakers from either Suncoast or Pelican. Can’t remember which.

I should know in a couple of days about the goodness of the fit on the fronts. I’ll post then.

Quick Reply: HiFi Speaker Upgrade, Plug and play?