Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HiFi Speaker Upgrade, Plug and play?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 04:17 PM
gregorytate
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Done a few weeks ago. About a low 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of difficulty.
You'l need a Phillips head screw driver, a Torx wrench set (forgot which size), soldering iron and maybe some electrical tape, and a dremel tool with an 1/8 inch reaming bit.
There are 6 Phillips head screws holding on the bottom door card. Comes off pretty easy. This exposes the base and mid range speakers in the doors. Remove the screws holding these two speakers and unclip the wires.
Screen shots of the speakers I got from Crutchfield are shown below. I had to call them, but they were very helpful. I did not replace the tweeters (included in the box). But the mid and base were in really bad shape. Paper frayed.

The speakers holes were a near match for the original and only needed a little oblong reaming of the four holes. On the base speakers the clips on the new speakers fit perfectly on the old wires. On the mids, I had to cut, solder and tape. But the fit was really good. The first side took about 30 mins. The second side took about 15 min.

The difference in sound quality is remarkable. But it would not have taken much to improve it. And the 993 cab environment is not HiFi friendly, anyway.

Bottom line is don't be afraid to do this. For about $150 an 45 mins, you'll get a big improvement in sound quality.

The following 2 users liked this post by gregorytate:
M. Schneider (01-17-2023), The Eagle (11-16-2019)
Old 04-26-2020, 08:24 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

gregorytate

Thanks for these instructions. Just completed this myself with the same parts. Works great, sounds much better.

New head unit should be here from Tore in a few days and this upgrade will be complete

Last edited by Jon 'Bama; 05-12-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:02 AM
et997
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 13 Posts

Just out of curiosity, I want to see how much it will hurt if I replace all speakers with OE new stuffs in the Hi-Fi optioned car, so I went on Sunset and checked. Here's the list of what we will need.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:36 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

For anyone curious - I went with the Memphis and RF speakers recommended and am not all that thrilled with the outcome. Reason is that the factory midrange speaker is 6 ohms and the Memphis speaker (technically a tweeter) is 4 ohm, so it draws more power and kind of overpowers the tweet and woofer. I will probably just pick up a pair of factory midrange speakers for about $70 each. My woofers were in good shape, no deterioration to the rubber surrounds so should be usable for years to come. I already have the RF woofers installed so will just leave them in, and swap the midrange back out once I get the OEMs.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:43 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

I just got some of these woofers.

I hadn't order the mid range yet - any other suggestions for non-oem mid range speakers that would fit?
Old 01-17-2023, 06:25 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
I just got some of these woofers.

I hadn't order the mid range yet - any other suggestions for non-oem mid range speakers that would fit?
I haven’t found any, I would suggest going with OEM unless you are going with a complete system replacement, including amp

Quick Reply: HiFi Speaker Upgrade, Plug and play?