993 Forum 1995-1998

Power steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 03:14 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Power steering rack

So just got my car back from an oil change and the service centre mentioned to me that my power steering rack was developing a small leak. Just looked on pelican parts to see what the damage would be and holy ****! $4600 for a rebuilt rack. I knew these were pricey but didn't think they were this expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts to an alternative place I can get a rebuilt rack at a lower price?

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 PM
Drifa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suggest something like this and find a local shop willing to help you out if you're not comfy doing it yourself.

http://www.klaindustries.net/993rack/993rack.htm
Old 05-03-2019, 04:09 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

+1 - the kit is like $100
Search on here and you'll find the definitive DIY
Old 05-03-2019, 04:31 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

I bought a second hand rack on Ebay and then sent it to a place in the UK to rebuild for about $350 with return shipping. I had that installed in my car and then rebuilt that rack also and sold it to another member to help offset the cost of the install.

Can't remember the place in the UK and I'm on the road so I can't look at my records but I got the name from the forums.

G
Old 05-03-2019, 04:50 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,204 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
So just got my car back from an oil change and the service centre mentioned to me that my power steering rack was developing a small leak. Just looked on pelican parts to see what the damage would be and holy ****! $4600 for a rebuilt rack. I knew these were pricey but didn't think they were this expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts to an alternative place I can get a rebuilt rack at a lower price?

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Yep! I went through this, recently. If you look at the archives, these things used to cost a fraction of the price. Apparently hydraulic racks are an endangered species and replacing them is ridiculously expensive.

Porsche branded remanufactured steering rack with 2 year warranty is crazy expensive. Cheapest I could find is in the $3k range. I have no one locally who can rebuild a rack, so I sucked it up and bought it. Maybe that was stupid, but I just wanted to get it over with. I was a little leary of buying an off the shelf rebuilt rack from someone else. At least with the Porsche unit, I have the warranty and the warm and fuzzy of an "OEM" part.

On the plus side - the new rack works great!
Old 05-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Eurowest Group
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Had my 1995 993 rack rebuilt several weeks ago, low price, professional quick service. RACK DOCTOR, South Carolina, info@rackdoctor.net, 843-558-7225
Old 05-03-2019, 06:29 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

A small leak is nothing to worry about. If you find it dripping on the floor and topping off the reservoir regularly that is a different matter.
The hardest part is taking the rack out and putting it back in. Some rebuild their own racks others send it out for rebuild:
  • If you rebuild your own rack it cost $75
  • If you have someone else do it a few hundred dollars
  • If you buy a rebuilt rack it will be over a thousand dollars and the durability of the rack is dependent on the quality of the core used
  • If you let someone else pull it out and put it back in add a few hundred more to the cost
Here are my notes on the subject:
Replacing your rack
Good luck with this,
Andy
The following users liked this post:
GD993C4 (01-18-2023)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:07 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I would monitor the leak for now unless it’s dripping all over the floor. To be honest I’ve seen some cars have a small leak or sweat for years without any issues.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:31 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I would monitor the leak for now unless it’s dripping all over the floor. To be honest I’ve seen some cars have a small leak or sweat for years without any issues.
This sounds reasonable. My car had a totally failed rack and was drivable. Might as well max it out.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I rebuilt mine myself. I purchased the KLA INDUSTRIES kit and downloaded a step by step diy I found on pelican parts (I believe) A New Zealand kiwi did a awesome job with the step by step. Color pictures instructions the whole nine. Probably the best internet step by step I have ever seen. Anyways it was actually pretty easy. That said I was interrupted several times by wife and kids and ended up skipping a step and had to pull the rack and fix my mistake. Basically if you have the time and facilities ( I used my standard two car garage and quick jack) the best option hands down is to DIY THE JOB yourself with the kla kit. However I have seen several race cars (993’s) that simply removed the pump and lines and ran the car without the hydro assist. So if the leak is small and not overly burdensome than you can just run it.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:21 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

The leak makes a big mess down underside of car. Ask me how I know
Old 05-04-2019, 12:18 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Thanks for the replies fellas! I have yet to see a drip on my garage floor so I'm assuming its pretty minor. Will definitely monitor it from now on however to see if it gets any worse. Good to see there are some options out there that don't cost a fortune!

Thanks again!

Derek
Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 AM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to here. In my case I t was blowing the fluid out as fast as I put it in. Like stated by others it made a huge mess under the car. There was fluid from front to back under the car. However it didn’t leak much when park just when turning the wheel while driving. It would fill the tie rod boots and squish out when the boot was compressed blowing down the underside. Of the car. My ocd wouldn’t allow me to ignore it and the cost to replace was ridiculous. I called a local shop in town (web sight was still up advertising rack repairs) they laughed said they quit doing rebuilds a long time ago. They just haven’t been able to update there site. Apparently with most cars now days having electric or manual racks these older hydro assist are not profitable enough for a lot shops to mess with rebuilding. I took it as an opportunity to expand my mechanical skill sets and set about doing it myself. Honestly getting the darn thing out of the car was way more time consuming and frustrating than anything. I spent way longer on the removal and replace then I did the rebuild itself.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:06 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack options

Are Vertex and Steering Gear Super Store the only (reasonably priced) options out there? My indie recommends the former. Can anyone share their experience with Steering Gear, or recommend a better alternative? This is an expensive item (with labor), and I want to get it right first time.

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2019, 07:51 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reuben
Are Vertex and Steering Gear Super Store the only (reasonably priced) options out there? My indie recommends the former. Can anyone share their experience with Steering Gear, or recommend a better alternative? This is an expensive item (with labor), and I want to get it right first time.

Thanks!

Do any of them have a warranty? The Porsche part does have a 2 year warranty, which is a little bit of consolation with re: the high price.

I’ve heard of Vertex, never heard of the former.

Quick Reply: Power steering rack