From cone air filter to stock - installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 09:26 PM
Fede-993
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default From cone air filter to stock - installation

Hello,

my car came with a cone air filter (pic below); reading through the posts I understand that standard airbox with modified lid (fab speed for example) the car will drive better and will be more reactive to the the throttle....
I have to say that the car is a bit slow and not super creative to the throttle in acceleration and hope to get improvements.
Plus the cone has a minor damage and would need to be replaced
Plus I don't fell super safe driving in case of rain with that cone under the grill of the spoiler.

pic of cone air filter a lateral smaller cone filter
I don't understand why the previous owner didn't install a straight intake pipe instead of making the full curve.....

Anyways I got the stock airbag and wanted to install it.
Is there any specific procedure to follow? has anyone done it? I've read it's not that easy to fit it in and wanted to know if there's any tutorial available so I can do it myself.
What other support parts would I need to purchase?

Also, besides the cone air filter there's a smaller filter (2 inch diameter approx); do I have to keep that?

thanks everyone for the support!

Federico
Old 08-30-2019, 10:08 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

I believe the small filter is the crankcase breather. It plugs into the bottom of the stock airbox.

While you have all that removed you might as well change the fuel filter if it hasn't been changed in a while.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:38 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyp
I believe the small filter is the crankcase breather. It plugs into the bottom of the stock airbox.
No, that is the clutch breather hose.

Andreas
Old 08-31-2019, 10:43 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't blame you for going back to stock (I would too) but the car won't "drive better" or be any more "reactive" to the throttle. You won't find any difference unless you create one in your head.
The following users liked this post:
Enso (02-07-2020)
Old 08-31-2019, 12:30 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I recently reversed the k&n on my car so I can get it to pass visual inspection for smog check.

The only things you may need to consider that may be missing is what Andreas mentioned is the L shaped rubber clutch venting/breather hose as well as a "sealing ring" that goes on the inner diameter of the airbox and makes a tight seal with the mass air flow sensor.... At least my airbox that ring was missing. Lastly there is a m6 bolt that you may need to secure the airbox on the intake manifold which you can pickup at the hardware store once you have it all connected.

Name:  IMG_20190831_082847.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  283.3 KB
Name:  IMG_20190831_082905.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  157.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20190831_082925.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  533.6 KB
Old 08-31-2019, 12:45 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Sorry saw you had a 95 so I don't think you need that screw? Not sure.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:04 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

This was helpful when I replaced my Fabspeed "airbox" and did some other work in that area on my 1995

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...ox_Removal.htm
Old 09-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Fede-993
Instructor

Thanks,
I had seen that in pelican parts, very useful.
there seems to be no much extra parts (sensors....)to be installed beyond the box

​​​​​​​

Last question...while inspecting the area I've noticed another small filter in the back as per pics below.
What is that?
Basically I currently have 3 cone filters
1) air box
2) clutch breather
3) ??

thanks for all you help
Old 09-02-2019, 09:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

There is an additional hose that plugs into the backside of the factory air box. I believe the 95's had them as well. I am assuming this is it and they filtered all the hoses.

The two hoses front center are connected to the air box. I am assuming the one you are asking about is in the background and plugs into the back of the box.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:51 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Haha never seen that mod before. That’s the SAI pump hose. Originally it’s supposed to run from the back of the air box to the SAI pump. Looks like the PO yanked the hose and replaced it with this small filter.

This is the SAI air hose. Yellow arrow points to air box connection. Red arrow points to pump connection. This is where you’re seeing the 3rd cone filter.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:06 PM
Fede-993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fede-993
Hello,

my car came with a cone air filter (pic below); reading through the posts I understand that standard airbox with modified lid (fab speed for example) the car will drive better and will be more reactive to the the throttle....
I have to say that the car is a bit slow and not super creative to the throttle in acceleration and hope to get improvements.
Plus the cone has a minor damage and would need to be replaced
Plus I don't fell super safe driving in case of rain with that cone under the grill of the spoiler.

pic of cone air filter a lateral smaller cone filter
I don't understand why the previous owner didn't install a straight intake pipe instead of making the full curve.....

Anyways I got the stock airbag and wanted to install it.
Is there any specific procedure to follow? has anyone done it? I've read it's not that easy to fit it in and wanted to know if there's any tutorial available so I can do it myself.
What other support parts would I need to purchase?

Also, besides the cone air filter there's a smaller filter (2 inch diameter approx); do I have to keep that?

thanks everyone for the support!

Federico
Another 2 questions
I haven't changed yet the cone air filter with the stock airbag I already have ...
1) however I wanted to understand why the filter is connected with a 90° angle hose and not directly connected to the intake (previous owner); I would assume the straighter and closer the better... is this technically correct? wanted to give it a try;
2) while making that mod wanted to change also the cone with a new one since this current one is slightly damaged; do you know of any specific model (code) I should go for?a model that fits properly right under the (previously saggy ) engine pad?

many thanks to all as always you're great!
Old 02-05-2020, 04:43 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Post #2 in this thread. If you want to go the cone direction. FYI, I use the stock box with paper filter and motor sound cover.
BMG type air filter

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...95-993-c2.html

or this one has a bracket

http://www.allzim.com/store/msds-clean-air-act-993.html

Quick Reply: From cone air filter to stock - installation