Sponsored by:

Toe in mm please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 04:59 PM
targagr
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toe in mm please...

Hello, Can someone help me know what the toe values are in mm instead of minutes for front and rear?
Need help with alignment because the alignment machine the shop is using is in mm.
thanks!!
Old 08-29-2019, 06:35 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

depends on what you want for toe
zero in front is just zero
I've read -1.3mm each side in the rear is good
and have used it and been happy.

if you still need a specific conversion 911slow posted a page of them here
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...nt-values.html
but you might need to be a paying rennlist member to view the thread.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:11 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Front toe depends on street or track use, tire size/grip, front:rear balance, etc. But for street use keep it simple with 0 toe.

Rear static toe has to be set in consideration of rear tire (i.e. 265 or 285), rake, rear toe control arms (rubber = compliance vs. heim joints that allow more precision and hence lower rear toe settings), kinematic settings, perhaps most important - driver preference re. balance and how 'free' a rear end you want.

1.3mm toe-in each side with stock rear toe control arms (rubber) is good starting point but keep in mind that is usually paired with a bit of negative front toe.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:14 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

mm toe in cant be provided. You need the diameter you measuring to to figure out mm. Thats why degrees minutes seconds are used.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

You just can't beat good toe.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:53 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by targagr
Hello, Can someone help me know what the toe values are in mm instead of minutes for front and rear?
Need help with alignment because the alignment machine the shop is using is in mm.
thanks!!
Here is a website I've used before:

https://robrobinette.com/ConvertToeDegreesToInches.htm

Then just convert inches to mm.

For your tire diameter go to Tire Rack, find your tire, and go to specifications.

Hope this helps.

G
Old 08-29-2019, 10:02 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Using inches or mm to measure toe is idiotic and your shop should be ashamed to be such idiots. And you should tell them that.

Biggest problem is this: at what point are they taking the measurement? If they're measuring at the wheel lip, then you don't calculate the inches or mm using the tire OD, but instead the wheel diameter. And so the conversion depends on the wheel size or tire size or whatever they're measuring. Yeah, it's freaking idiotic and only idiots use that. Degrees is the correct measure for normal-IQ people.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

What machine are they using? Newer Hunter machines allow switching of units of measure between degrees (fractional), degrees and minutes, mm (at reference diameter), etc.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:31 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Using inches or mm to measure toe is idiotic and your shop should be ashamed to be such idiots. And you should tell them that.

Biggest problem is this: at what point are they taking the measurement? If they're measuring at the wheel lip, then you don't calculate the inches or mm using the tire OD, but instead the wheel diameter. And so the conversion depends on the wheel size or tire size or whatever they're measuring. Yeah, it's freaking idiotic and only idiots use that. Degrees is the correct measure for normal-IQ people.
Eric, for a shop with an alignment rack and in the OP's case I'm guessing you're correct. Although where I live, if you called a mechanic an idiot they would come at you with a tire iron !

The online calculator I posted above does use tire diameter.

I really don't know because I've been doing my own alignments on my autocross 993C2 for over 10 years using the SmartStrings set, https://www.smartracingproducts.com/smartstrings.html (no affiliation, just happily using their alignment tools).

Using strings for the toe settings, I measure in fractions of millimeters. I made the conversion from degrees to mm the first few times but now I don't even bother because at the rear I'm either staying with the same setting or making small changes from my nominal setting. At the front I'm either at zero toe or more usually at slight toe out.

Interestingly when discussing alignment settings with fellow AXers we usually refer to front toe-out in 1/16s of an inch, such as 1/16", 1/8", or 3/16" out, because most of us are setting our front toe at home with toe plates. There are several SCCA national champions and trophy winners in the club I autocross with, certainly not idiots.

Of course for camber I do use degrees, and for rear Kinematic toe I use bubbles LOL.

G

Last edited by AX993; 08-29-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: Toe in mm please...