Sponsored by:

Transmission, differential, belt questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 03:37 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Transmission, differential, belt questions

So I'm planning some fall/winter maintenance in the next few months and had some questions. First some background:
- car is a '96 4S 6-speed and had a top-end rebuild along with LWF and clutch done roughly 15 years and 25k miles ago (currently has ~82k miles)
- belts were also changed at that time (Porsche OEM); no issues with the belts during that time and they still look to be in good shape

Questions (did some searching but need some confirmation):
- would the transmission fluid been changed when the LWF/clutch were done? I don't see anything on the invoice mentioning transmission fluid. If not, then I may still be running transmission fluid over 23 yrs old in the car (but I've never had any grinding or transmission issues)
- do people generally use the same differential fluid as the transmission fluid? The specs look to be the same per the manual (SAE 75W 90 gear oil), but wasn't sure about some that may/may not have friction modifiers
- is there also a rear differential that I should be changing the fluid at the same time? I have the Bentley manual but it only mentions rear differential fluid for an automatic transmission.
- when I go to change the tranny/differential fluid, can I do this job with just 2 jackstands (ie, not level)? or should I just go ahead and get 2 more jack stands
- even though my belts look to be in good shape, I'll be changing them as preventative maintenance given that they're 15 yrs old. The car supposedly had the updated pulley installed. Given this, do I still need to be worried about shims and such?

I've never done any of the above obviously and my skill level so far has been limited to changing the oil, changing the battery, cleaning wheel wells, and minor interior mods, so any helpful tips that would save me time and aggravation on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ed
Old 08-29-2019, 06:02 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

The question that I have is how you’ve changed the engine oil with only two jack stands?
Old 08-29-2019, 06:20 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
The question that I have is how you’ve changed the engine oil with only two jack stands?
Changing the oil hasn't been a problem; no issues getting to the filter and while I probably don't get all of the oil out, I end up adding about 9.5qts to get to the lower third of the dipstick.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:29 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

-even with updated pulleys, you’ll still need to fiddle with shims unfortunately.
-change belts asap
-buy 2 more stands
-Tip cars have ATF fluid and rear differential fluid to change.
-6sp cars just diff/tranny fluid. I highly recommend Porsche Tranny oil.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:26 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

If you can change the engine oil, changing the transmission and front diff oil is even easier.

You will need two more jack stands or a lift to get the car level so you can fill the front diff and transmission oil level correctly.

Get 4 more aluminum crush washers (same one you use for the engine oil drain plug), a hex bit socket, and about 5qts of transmission oil (~1 qt for front diff and ~4qts for transmission), oil hand pump, and will be good to go. When you change the transmission oil it will include the rear diff since the rear diff is part of the transmission. Start with removing the fill plug first and then the drain plug afterward. For whatever reason you get stuck and can't get the fill plug out, you can always drive your car to someone to help you... Not the other way around.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:40 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Thanks P-daddy and Samurai_k! Just ordered two more ESCO jack stands. Will also order some extra shims and crush washers.

Does anyone know if the transmission fluid has to be changed as part of a LWF/clutch install? Just wondering if my tranny fluid is 23 yrs old or closer to 15. I know, either way it's way overdue.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:57 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

IMO even if the fluid was changed 15 years ago, you’re way overdue for a drain/fill.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:24 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

No argument here. Just hoping I don't find a ton of metal shavings on the drain plug when I do this.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:27 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, at least the synchros are bronze, so you won't see their pieces with a magnet

Seriously, though, if the trans is behaving well there are unlikely to be any surprised. If you're concerned you could save off a sample and send it out for analysis - pretty sure that Blackstone does gear oil.

Quick Reply: Transmission, differential, belt questions