2 Q:s: Oil change from conv. to synthetic and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Tobias
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2 Q:s: Oil change from conv. to synthetic and check engine light

Hi,
I'm about to change oil in my newly bought 95 993. Today it is filled with conventional il (Castrol), but I am thinking of changing to a synthetic one (Mobil 1 0W40). But.....I've heard a couple of times that one should not try to change to synthetic oil in a car that has been running on conventional. The stated reason has bben that a synthetic oil dissolves a lot more particles than a conventional does, thus increasing the amount of damaging particles flowing in the oil. However, if one decides to change synthetic, one should make sure to drive only a short distance with the synthetic oil and then 'flush the system' by changing the oil once again with synthetic oil (2 obvious drawbacks with this method: cost + a lot of work). I called Mobil 1 here in Sweden and talked about this with them, and they said that this is only a myth, but the guy I talked to added that it might be better to be safe than sorry and change the oil once again after just a couple of months. What is really true?

My other question is about the check engine light. It arouse after having read Silver Bullets latest topic regarding clogged valves which mentions the warning light 'check engine'(by the way, thanks Slver Bullet for a lot of informative postings!). The thing is that in my 95 993 the check engine light doesn't even illuminates with key in on position (although I can see there is a check engine light among the other information lights, but it's just dont illuminated). I looked in my manual and all warning lamps are explained there, but no mentioning of the check engine light. Can it be that European engine versions do not use the check engine light (I'm in Sweden), or is it because I have model year 95, or has the former owner unplugged the light (that's a frightful thought....). Does anyone know?
Old 05-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can't shed any light on the check engine light, but I would switch to Mobil 1 0w-40. First, the factory fill is synthetic. Second, assuming the po changed the oil regularly, you should not have much gunk in the engine. To be extra safe, you could switch to synthetic and then do another change after a few thousand miles, but I wouldn't think it mandatory.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:22 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the myth with synthetic oil is that they have a "detergent" property, and for cars that have had all it's life on dino oil switching to synthetic may cause seals and gaskets to be dissolved and fail and cause major oil leaks.

(At least from what I understood about the myth)

As for the check engine light, I am pretty sure it should light up with the key on position prior to starter engagement, you might want to pull the gauge out and see if the light bulb is removed or not.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:25 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
There was talk with the older 911s (ie cars in the 70s and 80s) tended to leak more with synthetics because that oil was better at getting past gaskets and seals. Thus was borne the urban legend that synthetics allowed engines to leak..but if the engine already leaked it could leak more.

I just switched from Castrol (PO) to Mobile1. No leaks yet but I am watching closely. The next few oil changes will be more frequent but I will also keep an eye on the oil. I did question if synthetic expands more than dino oil in another thread..it was never properly answered.

Oh doing your own oil change is a snap. I even don't remove the rear tire..you can easily get the filter off with a filter wrench. I did remove the rocker sill cover though (about 4 bolts and some screws).

Plan to flush the oil a couple of times if the PO had not done it often enough..it will take lots of oil before the gunk is gone and all the dino oil is flushed out.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:11 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

others answered question re oil.

About the "check engine" light; I don't think no-USA cars had them. Reason is looking at a Porsche book called "Service Information Technik 94" which is an intro to the 993 (Porsche no. WKD 498 621). They have a photo of the instruments with two separate descriptions; one for USA and one for "others". Non-USA cars have no label for the "check engine" light, so apparently it isn't on these cars.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:54 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<strong>others answered question re oil.

About the "check engine" light; I don't think no-USA cars had them. Reason is looking at a Porsche book called "Service Information Technik 94" which is an intro to the 993 (Porsche no. WKD 498 621). They have a photo of the instruments with two separate descriptions; one for USA and one for "others". Non-USA cars have no label for the "check engine" light, so apparently it isn't on these cars.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The handbook lists it for TT only - definitely nothing on mine.

HTH, cheers, Maurice
Old 05-02-2002, 08:51 PM
993C4
Instructor

sweeden993,

I don't think the european 993 versions have 'check engine' light. My car is a euro version and when I turn the ignition on prior to starting, nothing shows up on the dash and I could not find this in owners manual either.

993C4 cab

Quick Reply: 2 Q:s: Oil change from conv. to synthetic and check engine light