Factory Keyless Entry for a 95 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:35 PM
jocko
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Keyless Entry for a 95 993

Hi Everyone,

I've searched the archives but couldn't find an answer to the following question: Does anyone know how to add a Factory Keyless entry to an early (11/94) non-keyless factory alarm. I really want to use the factory alarm and transmitter.

I'm thinking that if I get a hold of a newer alarm brain and transmitter it all should work.

Can anyone help or confirm?????

Thanks In advance,
Joe

1995 Porsche 993
1988 BMW M3
1988 BMW 325IS
2001 KTM 400MXC
Old 02-19-2004, 03:27 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've given up. Basically what I was told was that retrofitting wasn't worth it. If you go big, there are some mentions of getting an aftermarket to interface with the existing, but that too seemed a bit extreme.

Please post if you find anything to the contrary.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

If you're talking about a remote you press to unlock the doors, my early build '95 (basket handle, non-vram, no immobilizer) had one installed by the previous owners. In fact, I have two alarms. One factory and another more aggressive switchable code alarm system. So if this is what you mean, it is definitely feasible. Unfortunately since I didn't put it in, I don't know how it was done.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:45 PM
jocko
Track Day

At least someone has done it. Not sure what additional components would be required aside from the brain and transmitter. Wiring should be the same except for signal to the door locks which would be easy to get at the door lock switch.

Hopefully, someone will have the answer....
Old 02-19-2004, 08:48 PM
fjp
Intermediate

I had a viper transmiter installed to open and close the factory locks and activate the factory alarm in my early '95. The install was done by a local alarm/audio place. It went well and the only thing I rember hem saying was that they needed another relay or 2. It wasn't difficult for them. 1-1/2 hours.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:52 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I looked into that with no luck. I need to be clear on my definition though. I wanted to retrofit my 1995 C2 (now a RUF BTR-2) with a factory alarm/remote entry system such that I can lock/unlock remotely using a FACTORY KEY FOB, not a key chain transmitter. I checked with all the local dealers and all confirmed that while the 95s do have an OEM alarm system, the remote entry feature came out in 96 MY, and there is no retro-fit for 95s. I ended up installing a Clifford system with the smallest transmitter available.

My installer did integrate the system such that when the clifford is armed, the door lock button flickers red as a warning. So now I have the OEM passive system, and a Clifford with shock/vibration sensors as well as an ignition kill switch. I'm quite pleased with the results. Hope this helps.

CP
Old 02-19-2004, 11:39 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say the factory alarm system is adequate at best.

Frankly, I think you would be better off with a modern, high end alarm installed by a professional. More features and reliability, as long as the person doing the install is good. Exactly what CP did.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Far East Ender
Intermediate

I've just got my 993 back from the local Porsche Dealer, as the after market remote alarm failed, resulting in the car being immobilised.

I don't have a remote on my 928 and the alarm system works perfectly well.

Quick Reply: Factory Keyless Entry for a 95 993