Sponsored by:

Richard Sloan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:41 PM
fixedgame
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rome

In term of honesty, I don't think he is remotely in Neal's territory (for e,g, buying false service books off of ebay as Neal is rumored to have done etc.), but I don't think he's 100% forthright either. For e.g. I saw a stunning 993TT with 9,000 miles and I was really interested in the car. I did a search on Rennlist hoping I could locate the prior owner and it turns out the engine had been blown due to a missed shift at the track which was written about heavily on this board. The engine was repaired, but this was never disclosed and I feel it should have been. Once I revealed that I knew about it, Sloan really down played it, but I know from reading the "incident report" on this board and PM'ing the owner (who had the car on consignment with Sloan) that it was a serious issues.
Wow...not 100% forthright ?? To me that's borderline criminal.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I don’t want to rehash the comments I have made about my introduction to Sloan but they're not positive. With that in mind I don’t think he's nearly on the low level like Robert Neal at Victory is. In either case one of those two guys would have to have some rare model which is 100% exactly what I had to have in order for me to even consider starting to talk to either one. Bottom line I don’t think I could do business with Sloan because he probably does not have the car he lists in stock and his starting prices are not realistic. Robert Neal at Victory is someone I would be very leery of doing any business with unless I went in eyes very wide open and I spent a whole lot of time going over the car and the books / records with my own eyes and had a trusted verified independent PPI. Then again I got a phony cease and desist letter from him sent via rennlist email too.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I just received a car from Richard Sloan last week. I'm very glad I hadn't seen this thread when I made the deal with him or I would have been nervous as hell.
Actually, it went pretty smoothly. The car is pretty much as advertised - my local mechanic agrees that it's all original and that I got a good car,and I think at a fair price. (95 C2 Coupe, 34,500 mi, lsd, heated seats, hi fi, power seats, and a few other options, including new clear bra, new tires, and enclosed shipping for $36,700.)
Old 08-19-2010, 08:59 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I just received a car from Richard Sloan last week. I'm very glad I hadn't seen this thread when I made the deal with him or I would have been nervous as hell.
Actually, it went pretty smoothly. The car is pretty much as advertised - my local mechanic agrees that it's all original and that I got a good car,and I think at a fair price. (95 C2 Coupe, 34,500 mi, lsd, heated seats, hi fi, power seats, and a few other options, including new clear bra, new tires, and enclosed shipping for $36,700.)
Congrats on the car, but that price is "Sloan pricing" if you ask me.

For comparison, 5 years ago, I bought private party a '96 C4S, 34,500 miles too, also LSD, heated power hardback sport seats, partial leather, motorsound, hi fi, etc. I paid $40K.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jtpsocal
This makes me shake my head...some of you remember my website which is no longer active 1997Porsche993Turbo.com ...IF you have a cherry 911/930/964/993 your car will sell (mine sold to the first person to show up- btw- from a Google search) if you follow the model I laid out for all to see. If your being a dumbass or asking 200k for a 1998 Turbo S don't expect the same results- or your car may be sitting in a warehouse for 3 years. You can perform the same "magic" yourself, put your thinking cap on and find someone to build you a cool website ..my web guy did mine for a fraction of what your going to pay Sloan in "fees"- under $500 and i wrote the copy in an hour. The market is the market the "exposure" playing field is pretty damn equal with the internet ..now if your willing to pay whatever the vig is and deal with the potential experience noted above..then go ahead and ship your baby off.
jtpsocal-

I know the current owner of the '97 Turbo that you sold. He's a lucky guy!!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Congrats on the car, but that price is "Sloan pricing" if you ask me. For comparison, 5 years ago, I bought private party a '96 C4S, 34,500 miles too, also LSD, heated power hardback sport seats, partial leather, motorsound, hi fi, etc. I paid $40K.
I don't think you can compare the two. I think $36,700 is a fair price as Selo comments; you got to figure up to $2,000 for new tires plus enclosed shipping. Low mileage 95's that are nicely optioned have held their value well due to relatively low maintenance issues. And regardless of whether you're buying from Sloan or any other re-seller, they do have an overhead and you should be prepared to pay a slight premium over a private party. Sounds like you got a great deal 5 years ago...but that doesn't make Selo's deal a bad one.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can report a very positive experience with Richard Sloan. In my particular case I was selling not purchasing. That said, Richard was forthright with the details, quick to deliver with regard to funds, and on a personal level very gracious. Checking out the inventory in his warehouse is a good time as well.
Neil
Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 PM
TonyVT02
Intermediate

Default Positive Sloan Feedback

I bought a '96 933 C4S from Richard that was on consignment in January. The actually owner of the car contacted me and gave me Richard's information.

This was my first Porsche so the ins and outs of a purchase of this type was something new to me. I was bit confused about the whole consignment/ broker/ owner relationship but Richard and the original owner were helpful. It was not an easy process but I did a good job of educating myself.

I did get the feeling that I was not the type of buyer Richard was used to dealing with (he actually told me so). I am definitely not the high end buyer he typically caters to but Richard seemed generally interested in helping me find the car I wanted.

I told him I as just a young kid in the military who was in the search of his dream car. Richard was very respectful and thanked me for my service.

Long story short is that I enjoyed doing business with Richard and I am now the proud owner of a pristine condition Porsche.

His warehouse was a sight to see regardless of whether or not he owned all the cars. It was just awesome seeing all the different P-cars that lived there.
The warehouse was non-descript and the security seemed very extensive. I would expect nothing less from building that houses millions of dollars worth of fine German automobiles. Of note is that there was a FBI substation right next door.

Although I had a positive experience, the bottom line from my experience is that Richard is business man. Although we share the same love of P-cars, you still have to look out for your own interests.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my first 911TT from him." I just put a new clutch in it Paul!! its got 30K miles" I got the car
and the clutch was slipping on the first shift. The TT had 37K miles.

Hes a real talker.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

If you figure $36,700 was my total buying price, and you subtract out $1200 for shipping, $700 for clear bra, and only $400 for new Sumitomo HTRZ III's, not to mention detailing and floor mats, that makes an equivalent purchase price from a private individual, without all of those extras, at $34,400. I've been watching the ads for quite awhile now, and it seems to me that is a good price for a 95, low mileage, totally original and well-maintained car. If I'd found something equivalent sooner, I would have bought it.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
If you figure $36,700 was my total buying price, and you subtract out $1200 for shipping, $700 for clear bra, and only $400 for new Sumitomo HTRZ III's, not to mention detailing and floor mats, that makes an equivalent purchase price from a private individual, without all of those extras, at $34,400. I've been watching the ads for quite awhile now, and it seems to me that is a good price for a 95, low mileage, totally original and well-maintained car. If I'd found something equivalent sooner, I would have bought it.

Agree! Proper buyer due diligence yields great results. Richard Sloan is in business to sell cars. And he nice ones to buy.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 521 Posts

I bought my 964 Turbo from Sloan. The experience was "interesting" but the only two annoying parts were that a) he did not allow for me to have the PPI conducted by the garage of my choice (Dan Jacobs) and b) it took a long time for him to produce the correct title from the actual seller. He had EXACTLY the car I wanted and there were only 12 of them built for the US - what to do? Don't forget that in principle he's another used car salesman so do proper due diligence.

My purchase became a real nightmare because of Farnbacher Loles and not Richard Sloan. They are out of business now anyway so they got what they deserved.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
he did not allow for me to have the PPI conducted by the garage of my choice (Dan Jacobs).

This is the same story Richard gave me when I inquired about a '97 993TT last year.

His bluster on initially talking to him regarding the car turned to silence and unreturned phone calls/emails after I requested a ppi by Dan Jacobs on the vehicle. Coupled with his reputation of non-disclosure it wasn't hard to walk. There are always other cars out there, especially in this vintage. Perhaps not with some of the rarer vehicles previously stated on this thread though.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Since I didn't know anyone in the area, I didn't have any problem in dealing with Porsche of Wallingford for the PPI (which Richard suggested.) Before I did it, though, I put it out on either 6speed or Rennlist as to whether or not there was any problem with Porsche of Wallingford. No one had anything bad to say, so I went with it. If they are a reputable dealer, they are not going to incriminate themselves by doing fraudulent PPI's on expensive cars - although it is still fishy and unacceptable to not allow it to be done at the buyer's choice of shop.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 PM
RSA_27149
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve learned to skip on buying cars that are on consignment. Specifically, Sloan is a broker – no more, no less. He has zero risks in these transactions. If he brings a car into his showroom, it doesn’t matter if it falls apart tomorrow, because he does not own it. It is someone else’s problem.

Conversely, dealers like Holt hold title to his entire inventory. What that tells me is that he has checked them out, because he may have to sit on them if the car he brings in turns out to be a lemon. I would still get a PPI done by an independent party, but I’d feel much better about doing business with someone who holds title of the car they sell, free and clear. When I leave with the car, I have in my hands the title of said car. (I have not affiliations with Holt, but just using it as an example to my point.)

Quick Reply: Richard Sloan?