993 Forum 1995-1998

Richard Sloan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Was this disclosed by him, or noticed by you?

Andreas
He did not disclose it to me prior to arriving at his shop. I had also traveled to look at another 993 in NY so the trip was not wasted. Richard was super nice but the car was not as described although I am ultra picky!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's a talker. Lotta bluster with little substance.

I've talked to him on 3 separate occasions in the past 2 years about various cars in his possession (according to Richard anyways). There were plenty of contradictions and he talks to his customers likes he's enlightening you. Caveat emptor.

Here's a sampling.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ighlight=sloan

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ighlight=sloan

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...ighlight=sloan
Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 AM
ryguy993
Racer

I spoke with Mr. Sloan about 5-6 months ago about searching for a widebody 993 and he assured me that he had what I was looking for. I even told him my price point ($40 - $50K) I set up an appointment to go to his location which is in an awful part of town! when I arrived he was very cordial to deal with. Once I entered the "warehouse" I asked him questions about the 993's on his website and he told me he had sold most of them??? I had spoke to him the day before? Did he forget that, I mean could he have really sold 6 cars overnight??? Anyway, all he had left was 3-4 widebody 993 cars that he wanted over $60K for. He explained that these cars didn't need anything and that he goes through them and does about $6000 worth of work on each of them, or I could pay a little less and get the car before he does the work. It would basically work out to me paying $50K for a car that would need $6 - $7 thousand worth of work!

I ended up buying my 1996 C4S in the color and options I wanted for about $15,000 less than what Mr. Sloan was charging for his "IMHO" overpriced cars.

I would say 90% of his cars are not driven at all and probably, have dead batteries and flat-spotted tires.

Do yourself a favor and check all your options. I think he has a 993 narrow body coupe with 10K miles for $53K!!!!! Seriously? That is just way to overinflated of a price!

Just my .02 cents
Old 08-19-2010, 02:30 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This reminds me why I like buying from private party and selling cars myself.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:43 AM
jtpsocal
Instructor

This makes me shake my head...some of you remember my website which is no longer active 1997Porsche993Turbo.com ...IF you have a cherry 911/930/964/993 your car will sell (mine sold to the first person to show up- btw- from a Google search) if you follow the model I laid out for all to see. If your being a dumbass or asking 200k for a 1998 Turbo S don't expect the same results- or your car may be sitting in a warehouse for 3 years. You can perform the same "magic" yourself, put your thinking cap on and find someone to build you a cool website ..my web guy did mine for a fraction of what your going to pay Sloan in "fees"- under $500 and i wrote the copy in an hour. The market is the market the "exposure" playing field is pretty damn equal with the internet ..now if your willing to pay whatever the vig is and deal with the potential experience noted above..then go ahead and ship your baby off.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fly Waco, sorrry about your problems with Richard Sloan and welcome to Rennlist. This is a great place for owners like yourself. Sounds like you have a great car!

Become a Rennlist member, by paying a small membership dues, and list your car in the Classifieds, 993 Forum, 993 Turbo Forum, and Sales To Members Forum, and I think you may be very pleased with the results. Certainly better than your current 2-year fiasco.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Man i dont think since i joined this forum i have ever heard good about that guy. Apparently he is just the typical "used car salesman".
Old 08-19-2010, 01:18 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as mentioned - Apparently Sloan is just the typical "used car salesman" and the cars appear to be on consignment.
I bought my turbo [996, x50] from RPM Sports Cars in Houston - sight unseen!. Ray Joseph couldn't have been nicer and more up front, definitely not the usual car salesman.
My car had 6500 miles on it but it was cleaner than when it came from the factory - everywhere. i really couldn't believe how clean the car was, tires, rims, under and inside.
i wanted the windows tinting and 3m film putting on - Ray had all that done for me within 24 hours.
he had a great collection of cars for sale - the place was spotless and the cars were "to die for."
see his site ...http://www.rpmsportscars.com if you want first class Porsche from a first class guy.
The best - highly recommended.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm reminded of a saying in the preface of my old college calculus book: "What one fool can do, so can another".
Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
Mind boggling how this guy gets his hands on all of these low-mileage beauties. His current inventory is pretty impressive.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

I bought my C4S from Richard and the car was as described. He did take a little while to get me the title (after I received the car) but other than that, he delivered what he promised and fixed the issues that came up on the PPI.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

911 Celebrity Death Match: Sloan vs. Robert Neal...like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModNDHKku38
Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Jake G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ironimages
Now that's a heck of a 1st post!
Well said! What a horrible experience. I also had a bad consignement experience with Kompact kar Korner in Everett Wa. Thanks God it was not this bad or I would be in jail right now.

Jake
Old 08-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake G
Well said! What a horrible experience. I also had a bad consignement experience with Kompact kar Korner in Everett Wa. Thanks God it was not this bad or I would be in jail right now.

Jake
Those three K's should have been your immediate tip-off.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:52 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I've met Richard and been to his shop a couple of times. I've never purchased anything, although I made an offer on one car but we couldn't make a deal (more on this below).

The good news is that he has a fantastic inventory (and yes, most are actually on site, even if many are consigned). There is nothing else like it in the Northeast US (at least for Porsches). I think the vast majority of his cars are "no story" cars, especially the higher end ones.

On the down side, I think his business model is to focus on the VERY high end buyer looking to buy something unusual and extremely expensive. He is more like a broker in the sense that collectors will come to him to source and sell vehicles....for super-premium prices. He knows everyone in this segment of the market. This is really where his interest lies and where he makes his money in this business. I think he tends to care a lot less, and is more sloppy, with-- say-- a garden variety 993 buyer. He gets these cars and turns them over, but it's not his bread and butter and the care and quality suffer in this segment.

In term of honesty, I don't think he is remotely in Neal's territory (for e,g, buying false service books off of ebay as Neal is rumored to have done etc.), but I don't think he's 100% forthright either. For e.g. I saw a stunning 993TT with 9,000 miles and I was really interested in the car. I did a search on Rennlist hoping I could locate the prior owner and it turns out the engine had been blown due to a missed shift at the track which was written about heavily on this board. The engine was repaired, but this was never disclosed and I feel it should have been. Once I revealed that I knew about it, Sloan really down played it, but I know from reading the "incident report" on this board and PM'ing the owner (who had the car on consignment with Sloan) that it was a serious issues.

I ended up making an offer on the car from considerably less than the premium price he was asking and we couldn't come to terms. Several months later the car was listed as having been sold.

So, if you are looking for something really extraordinary, Sloan is definitely worth a look, but be sure to get a PPI.

Quick Reply: Richard Sloan?