Sponsored by:

Would you accept 2 year old "new tires"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 02:01 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you accept 2 year old "new tires"

So I purchased some Continentals for my 96 C4S from Tirerack since no one around here has anything close to the correct size. I'm using a great shop run by a former Porsche race mechanic from European races decades ago. Great guy. Performance Alignment for anyone near north side Cincy.

They wanted me to order from Tire Rack and have the tires shipped to them directly which was done. The problem is that the fronts are manufactured Week 36 2018 and the rears are manufactured Week 38 2017. The rears are almost 2 years old.

I'm only changing tires that have a ton of life left because they are dated out (almost 9 years). This reduces the lifespan significantly for a car that will be a garage queen driven only 500-1000 miles a year tops.

Would you refuse these tires? (Tire rack gave me a standard answer that they have a super safe storage program so the date only matters when installed.)

Thoughts?

Brian
Old 06-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by osugasman
So I purchased some Continentals for my 96 C4S from Tirerack since no one around here has anything close to the correct size. I'm using a great shop run by a former Porsche race mechanic from European races decades ago. Great guy. Performance Alignment for anyone near north side Cincy.

They wanted me to order from Tire Rack and have the tires shipped to them directly which was done. The problem is that the fronts are manufactured Week 36 2018 and the rears are manufactured Week 38 2017. The rears are almost 2 years old.

I'm only changing tires that have a ton of life left because they are dated out (almost 9 years). This reduces the lifespan significantly for a car that will be a garage queen driven only 500-1000 miles a year tops.

Would you refuse these tires? (Tire rack gave me a standard answer that they have a super safe storage program so the date only matters when installed.)

Thoughts?

Brian
I also have a garage queen. I drive this car about 300 miles annually.
Since you drive so few miles, purchase tires that will be be within date in ten (10) years. In your case, your annual mileage is irrelevant. You need the duration.
I hope my advice is helpful.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:12 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I find the amount of time the tires are in the sunlight is more important than just simple age.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:18 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=flying_low;15883676]I find the amount of time the tires are in the sunlight is more important than just simple age.[quoteI
I agree. However however I would buy tires that are dated 2019 especially if subjected to harsher conditions.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 598 Posts

I wouldn't accept 2 year old tires. During last 2 safety inspections that I had completed the tech noted the mfg date of the tires and anything over 8 years old had to be replaced to pass. Those tires are already 25% expired!
Old 06-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Onami
I wouldn't accept 2 year old tires. During last 2 safety inspections that I had completed the tech noted the mfg date of the tires and anything over 8 years old had to be replaced to pass. Those tires are already 25% expired!
Onami,
Exactly my point. Thank you.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:29 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

flying_low is right. Considering your low annual mileage and being kept in the garage, you have no concerns unless you're running autocrosses or HPDE's which you're not. While I applaud your concerns for tire age, unless the tires show evidence of dry rot, I think you're changing out a little too soon.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:33 PM
osugasman
Racer

Well I called Tirerack and they were sympathetic (surprisingly to me, at least). I explained the shelf life issue is very important and the customer service rep is going to check the warehouse to see if he has any newer than 2 years old. I said that a year was reasonable...

If not, he is going to offer a full refund which then begets the question as to where to find other replacements.

Thanks all, Brian
Old 06-03-2019, 02:35 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
flying_low is right. Considering your low annual mileage and being kept in the garage, you have no concerns unless you're running autocrosses or HPDE's which you're not. While I applaud your concerns for tire age, unless the tires show evidence of dry rot, I think you're changing out a little too soon.
This! My garage queen's front tires are nine years old but looks and feels and as far as i notice handles like new including flat out driving on the German Autobahn!

If they look and feel OK they are safe to drive!

Ask the guy who sell tires and he will say the oppisite!

My barber recomends that you have your hair cut every second week...
Old 06-03-2019, 02:44 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
This! My garage queen's front tires are nine years old but looks and feels and as far as i notice handles like new including flat out driving on the German Autobahn!

If they look and feel OK they are safe to drive!

Ask the guy who sell tires and he will say the oppisite!

My barber recomends that you have your hair cut every second week...
Railmaster,
To be clear, your position: tires that look and feel ok are safe to drive, irrespective of the date manufactured?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by osugasman
If not, he is going to offer a full refund which then begets the question as to where to find other replacements.

Thanks all, Brian
Discount Tire? I just bought a set of RE-71 R’s for another car and they were priced the same as Tirerack.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Railmaster,
To be clear, your position: tires that look and feel ok are safe to drive, irrespective of the date manufactured?
Yes! Controversial! I know! But ten years is no problem! Twenty? Who knows!
Old 06-03-2019, 04:51 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Fiscally prudent is one thing but driving on 20 year old tires is dangerous for yourself and people you share the road with.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:56 PM
osugasman
Racer

Well, Not being a tire materials engineer, I will default to their explanations about chemicals in the compounds evaporating at a known degradation rate, etc, that implies a tire mounted and stored in a garage still wears out over time.

Tirerack was wonderful. They upgraded me to PS2s with dates that are late 2018 for $120 additional (normally closer to $350) over the Ciontinentals. I can't complain. Wonderful experience all around. Will get them mounted later this week.

Thanks, Brian
Old 06-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

My tires are dated 2009. I drive at most 300 miles per year. My car is always garaged. Plenty of tread and not dry rotted.
I have been told to replace my tires due to their age, although no empirical evidence provided.
Psychologically, I feel uncomfortable driving 60mph on the expressway.
I welcome written information that tires must be replaced at greater than ten (10) year intervals.
BTY: I get my hair cut once every three (3) weeks! LOL

Quick Reply: Would you accept 2 year old "new tires"